Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

POLL: Run off for top Florida Shooting Guard

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 4, 2018.

Who is your top Florida Shooting Guard?

1. Lee Humphrey

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Vernon Maxwell

30 vote(s)
    53.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    The vote was so very close with no one getting a clear advantage so we are taking the top 2 vote getters for a run off. So vote for your choice for the top Florida Shooting Guard.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    no Beal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Humphrey had 21, Maxwell had 20 votes, Beal only had 10. There were not enough votes for others to move Beal ahead of Humphrey. So the runoff was between Humphrey and Maxwell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I know. I'm a little disappointed too. Bradley's one of my favs!

This poll includes only the top 2 vote-getters (because the voting was so super close between Vernon and Lee) among former Gator Great Shooting Guards from the first poll.

The goal here = to identify the Greatest Gator 2Guard of All Time (and by default the #2 Greatest Gator 2Guard of All Time). After that, we'll return to the remaining nominated players at this position and vote to rank them.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, what Okie said. :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. potomacgator

potomacgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I do not believe Beal played 2guard for us. He played the 3 or small forward and led the team in rebounding. A great performance by him since he was not playing his natural position, which is 2guard. So as much as I love Brad as a player , being a Wizards fan as well as a Gator fan, I don't believe you can rate him as a Great Gator 2Guard. He is just a Great Gator Player.

guard

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    I hear what you’re saying, and you make a good point (though the 2011-2012 Florida Gators Media Guide actually lists Beal as a Guard).

Also, these lists were not created by the Mods but through Contest participant nominations. Several former Gators, including Bradley got nominated at multiple positions, so we agreed to list them at the positions where they received the most points. And since for this year’s draft we chose to include players’ UF and professional careers, and as you mentioned he plays the 2 for the Wizards (and does so quite well if I may add), that matters.

All that said, I still think the best ever Gator 2Guard is among this list...

PS: Bradley came to UF as 2Guard outta high school, and not just any 2Guard. He was rated the #2 overall shooting guard prospect in the country by Rivals, Scout, and ESPN when Billy snagged him. Not that his HS accolades are at all relevant to this, and not that anyone needs to be reminded of Billy’s recruiting prowess. I just like to brag on how great Bradley is!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We might have gone unbeaten if Maxwell played on our 2 national title teams.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yes you're right he did play the 3 for us, but when I think of Beal I think pure shooting guard. I missed the fact he got fewer votes and hence the reason for the run off : )

• Like Like x 2
  9. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    My voting was based on performance both in college and in the pros. There's no way Lee is better than both Maxwell and Beal. He was great for us, but when I'm looking at the BEST it has to be someone that did great in college and accomplished something professionally. The only edge I would give Lee is with 3-pt. shooting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    And then we'd have to give back the titles. No thank you

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    I don't remember his playing days well (really at all)...except for several old video taped games my parents had and that I was fortunate to get watch after he'd gone to the pros. But it seems to me there's an argument to be made that Vernon was the most talented MBK player ever to wear a Gator uniform. Not sure how popular a debate that'd be, but I think it's a valid discussion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I think the voters got this one right. Humphrey was a great three point shooter but I would've liked to have seen his free throw percentage in the 70s or 80s. He never eclipsed 70%. Maxwell wins this one for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    By the same token, imagine if Jason Williams was on the gator team for the 2000 run?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jason’s weakness was that he played zero defense. I would go with Chiozza and Maxwell as my guards, with Wilbekin and Dan Cross just behind Cheese. Chiozza and Maxwell were elite defenders and great offensive players.

15. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    By the way, I messaged Teddy Dupay and asked him his position while playing for Florida. His answer was that he would switch over to the shooting guard spot especially during the tournament but he primarily played the PG. So, there it is, straight from Teddy himself. I think we should have another poll with Teddy listed with the PGs.

16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He was by far the better player, but there's no way I'm voting for Slap Maxwell. Humphrey wins it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hawk was the best ever. If he didn't have records stripped he would be the second all-time scorer in the SEC behind Pistol Pete.

And he could defend better than any of the other nominees.

This should be a no brainer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    This is becoming comical. Maxwell is so much better in every way. I think too many are picking their favorite guy instead of just picking the best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It is a pick-up game and you can have JWill and Vernon or TG and Humprey. Which would you select?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Pickup game, I'd go TG and Humphrey. JWill would have too many turnovers trying to be flashy, TG takes care of the ball much better. Humphrey's 3-point shot would be lethal if you're playing 1s and 2s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.