Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

POLL: Run off for top Florida Point Guard

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 4, 2018.

Who is your pick for the top Florida Point Guard

1. Taureen Green

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Scottie Wilbekin

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Jason Williams

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Did Taurean Green cure cancer after the first poll ended?

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
  3. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    J-Will would’ve had the most prolific career here had he stayed 4 years like the other 2. I chose not to reward players just because they stayed a lot longer. Williams was ready to go pro at such a young age and is well respected by all former and current players. Therefore I gave him the nod.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    TG got 16 votes and the other two got 14 each, there were 11 votes for the others.

5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Hard to argue that selection, even if I opted otherwise.
    I think leadership is an important attribute for any pg. While j-will is undoubtedly the most skilled, I think he failed his team in the leadership role... being suspended permenantly in February of his lone season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    If we're talking about who you'd pick if you had them for potentially 4 years, I'd probably go Green or Wilbekin before Williams because I'd worry J-Will would do something stupid and it'd rub off on his teammates if I didn't suspend him. If it's just a pickup game, J-Will easily.

7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Poll will close Monday morning at 8 am edt.

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I didn’t put too much emphasis on pro careers.
    I just think the professional level is a different game and doesn’t always properly define the “greatest gator”.

For example... few would argue, from a gator perspective.... Tebow > Grossman.

J-Will most talented but for me... TG was so good, so accomplished and so perfect for his team. He got my vote.

Wilby was close but he ran afoul a few times. I think leadership is important at the pg role.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Can't go wrong with any of the top 3 really. I chose Scottie because, in my opinion he was the best all around PG I've seen us have. TG was great for the team he played on. White Chocolate was easily the most talented PG we've had, but I'd want Scottie running my team over him.

• Like Like x 2
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Very good post. I agree.

Wilby is my all time favorite. But I gave TG the vote because he was rock solid on and off the court.
    Scottie had a few issues, and was once basically booted off the team with Donovan giving him a chance to “rejoin”.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    TG was really solid. Good defender and good floor general. He was perfect for running a team loaded with offensive talent. Hard to make a mistake passing to any of them. He played within himself and that was what was needed.

Wilby was also solid, but I think that many folks here are giving him too much credit for being a defensive stopper. He was REALLY good but did have problems with very quick guards. Not only in the UCONN games, but also against Auburn at Auburn. Solid fundamentals defensively, but could be out quicked.

JWill is by far the best offensive talent of the three, but he took defensive possessions as a time to rest unless he could pick off a pass and start a fast break.

Nick C gets too little credit and isn't in the run-off. I think that mostly because he came in just after the back-to-back seasons and he wasn't the savior even though he tried. He was very talented offensively and OK defensively in spite of the fact that he couldn't jump over a newspaper according to C Parsons. Nick was a very underappreciated talent when he was here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Perfectly stated.

13. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Agreed.
    But TG was more than just a floor general. I believe he led the team in scoring at least one... maybe both title seasons.

EDIT: I looked it up. TG averaged 13.3 each of those title seasons. It was second to Noah’s 14.2ppg in 05-06, and led the team in 06-07.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.