Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

POLL: Run off for top Florida Point Guard

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 4, 2018.

Who is your pick for the top Florida Point Guard

1. Taureen Green

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Scottie Wilbekin

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Jason Williams

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    The vote was so very close with no one getting a clear advantage so we are taking the top 3 vote getters for a run off. So vote for your choice for the top Florida Point Guard.

• Like Like x 2
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    White chocolate ftw

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Love me some JWill, but he played less than a season at Florida. This should be Taurean's distinction, hands down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The contest was supposed to allow pro careers to count. With that in mind, I don't think there's any comparison between JWill and all the rest as far as talent & skill

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Agreed - I don't remember who had Jwill on their squad for last season's contest, but I remember liking their team largely for that reason. That said, the title is "Greatest Gator Point Guard." I concede talent/skill to JWill, but when all is said and done, Taurean was a perfect straw to mix the drink that was the 04s. He played three years to JWill's less-than-one.

In terms of totals, he scored 1174 pts with 400 assists for the Gators, while JWill scored 341 with 134 assists. Obviously, raw numbers would favor TG's three years to JWill's less-than-one, but the magnitude of contribution should be considered.

Stats per 40 min would likely favor JWill, as does his pro career. In the end, I prefer Taurean's three-year college career with two national titles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just voted for Jason Williams, but I think that Cheese is the best point guard to ever play for the Gators. Unfortunately, he was our starting point guard for only one season. By the way, if you think that Cheese started for only one season because he didn’t get really good until his senior season, then get on YouTube and watch highlights of this kid from when he was in high school. He was a fantastic high school player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I love the guy’s heart but that’s a big no from me.

8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    While pro career was allowed to be counted it is not mandatory nor does it have to be the deciding factor. The key word here is "Gator." We figured it would make for better discussion and it has.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Scottie and Taurean’s play are forever etched in my memory banks, I’ll always be fond of their play and contributions!....

for me to consider JWill, he would need to play a couple of seasons in a GATORS uniform. Just my criteria.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    He has his own Nike commercial though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    It's interesting to see how in the SG poll folks are clearly voting based only on college performance, but in this poll we seem to have more folks voting based on pro performance. Taurean Green was paramount to us winning those 2 titles. Horford, Noah, Brewer, and Lee wouldn't have been as successful if they didn't have a quality PG that took good care of the ball and distributed the rock to them at the right time and at the right place.

Since I don't recall Taurean being in trouble or missing a string of games due to suspension, I'll give him the edge over Wilbekin.

Jason Williams was obviously a great talent with a lengthy pro career, but since Bradley Beal was punished in the polls for only being here 1 season, then I will apply the same thing to Jason.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    You guys are crazy.

13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    TG

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Lol!

Though I did give my rationale in original vote thread.
    I’m too lazy.

16. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    What was the criteria, I missed the first thread somehow but are we going with best overall skills, or better Gator career? I gave it to JW on skills and not how long he stayed. The dude was sick and had a pretty good pro career to boot. If it was Gator career, I'd have to switch to TG. Or is this just simply your favorite? If were playing favorites, TG wins again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    It's up to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Green because well 2 nattys under his watch, plus he played the entire season..no shade, but he left little past midway through season. He was by far the most talented of the 3

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    I switched to Green just because of what he did for us. I was originally going with JDub for overall skills and his wow factor but overall as a Gator its gotta be TG.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The rules say to take pro accomplishments into account. Of course it doesn't say how to weight your vote with Gator accomplishments versus pro accomplishments so if you only want to not put much emphasis on their pro careers that is your prerogative.

To me JWill is the Gator Goat at PG. He was incredible and could have accomplished so much more as a Gator if he didn't like weed so much.

I love TG, Cheeze, Dan Cross, and many other Gator PGs (and have a special place in my heart for Clifford Lett playing out of position in 1989 to lead us to our first SEC regular season championship), but JWill was a talent level above all of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.