Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Run and Gun?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Gatorhead, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    OK, AN is gone. So will we "run" the ball? Myself I love a faster paced offense.
    A number of new faces coming in. Is Druji a high flyer? Seems like positive talk came out of the Gator camp about his athleticism.

Be cool if the personnel will encourage CMW to run the fast break.

Tampa? Lay it on me, what are your thoughts?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Paraphrasing for @tampajack1 :
    "Ques Glover is the best and only PG in the world who could pull this off. "Glover is the best player in the history of UF and will dominate the world if given the chance."

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    He was the board’s main “Cheeze squeeze“, soon to become its “G-Lover”

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
  4. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Will UF run an up-tempo offense? Maybe, but I will wait to see before I believe. Despite speculation that he would install a dribble-drive offense at UF, Mike White has proved to be a very risk-averse coach in Gainesville (the "he had to get his kind of personnel in place" explanation lost impact with me awhile ago). Will he accept the mistakes that come with emphasizing speed and fast pace?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I would love nothing more than for QG to become as good as Chiozza. I think QG has the ability to put it all together, but probably not until his JR/SR years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    There is only one Chris Chiozza, but Ques has the potential to be a Chiozza-light (and that's saying a lot) by his Jr/Sr years. Still, he has a loooong way to go before we can even suggest a comparison between the two...at this point it's mostly just "potential" and that they're both undersized

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Run and gun is a style of play that you usually run with inferior talent as it gives you a shot to win if things break your way. It is only a great style of play when you can dominate the defensive boards with only one or two guys and the rest are leaking out.

So who are the guys on next year's team that are going to be defensive glass eaters?

I don't see it happening. Once again we will need all five guys on the floor trying to get the defensive rebound and we will once again be a slow team. Except we won't have a PG that can actually run a slow team.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you have Johnson, Duruji and one of the centers on the floor at the same time, that should be a really good rebounding team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I disagree. Johnson is a great athlete, but way too small. "One of the other centers" does not sound like a great rebounder to me. I don't know enough about Duruji to have an opinion.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Assuming that Duruji is a big-time rebounder ( which seems likely), don’t you think that we will be in a better position to control the defensive boards if he and Johnson are on the floor together? Johnson averaged 7 rebounds per game last season, and Duruji averaged 6 rebounds per game the year before. Granted that we need Jitoboh or Payne to emerge as a solid defensive rebounder. This also doesn’t take into account the possibility of Castleton being granted immediate eligibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last year we rebounded by committee. AN got a lot of rebounds. If we don't keep the guards in to rebound it will be much easier for the opposing team to deal with KJ. KJ is a really great athlete, but undersized. I would think that if we don't keep everyone back his rebounding numbers will go down.

Jitoboh will get rebounds that fall in his lap as it is a long way to get around him. Payne has some potential for being a decent rebounder, but I have not seen the fundamentals to be one as of yet. I have my fingers crossed. I don't know enough about Castleton.

12. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Look at Alabama 2019. Not successful.

Look at the start to many of the run against the Gators in 2019. Starts with a series of bad shots and mistakes. We'll have more of that and that's the key to victory in the long haul?

Sometimes I feel like this board is being trolled by friends of some players that want to bounce and shoot the ball more.

13. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My speculation: I think CMW thinks the DDO is a free lance style of offense. Probably thinks almost every player has an intuitive feel for it - By virtue of playing street ball and pick-up games. (Correct me if I’m wrong @akaGatorhoops )

then, what CMW feels he must address and “coach” is the defensive end of the court. But I don’t see this as being overly risk-averse. Except: when the shots aren’t falling you do need to value your possessions (more). Can’t just be chucking up shots.

I do think CMW does struggle with his end-game strategies. ....I think I would too, since his base philosophy was “free-lance” offense for most of the game. To win games, you have to have prudent possessions down the stretch. That change of strategy in-game does appear “risk averse” (when we have leads). Like us fans, I think he gets a bit tense down the stretch (observation that may not be warranted?)...and the players may likewise get a bit tense accordingly. (There may have been games where he has been loose or calm, too?)....To me, that is an area he needs to reconcile and tweak and improve.

14. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    I don't see us running alot. MW loves the high ball screen, so I see us running a slow pace, setting high ball screens and eating clock.

15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I am fine with you clowning around GG, but I have a pretty good track record over the years predicting who will be good and who won't. My good feelings about Ques are based on what I believe has been a thoughtful analysis by me of his athletic ability, his skill set and his potential upside, which is all based on my having seen him play a few times in high school. I am well aware that the credo of many on this board is that you should not watch a player play before evaluating him. Instead, you should take the word of the recruiting services, the janitor at the school the kid plays for and your pet dog, but I just don't buy it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I believe Eric wrote an article that gave statistics indicating we were pretty good in "crunch" time. I don't recall exactly how he defined "crunch" time.

17. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My perceptions may be tainted by that last game with UK! Team and CMW did well, in other games - e.g in Charleston. It’s probably a matter of momentum....good in crunch times when we are the ones rallying. Poor when we are the ones letting the game slip away. Although, we did stabilize a few and win them. And Reasonably good in tight games that went back and forth. @Efawcett7 might have the breakdown?

• Like Like x 1
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We lost the Kentucky game because Blackshear got hurt and missed the second half. We had no athletic big men thereafter to control the paint or gain rebounds. A small ball lineup could work for Coach White at Louisiana Tech, but can’t work consistently against top 10 teams. You need athletic big men that can block shots, rebound or control glass, and also score down low. Don’t have to be 7 footers, but we lacked any height last year other than Blackshear and a young skinny Payne.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    We had 5 tall guys on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Plus UK played GREAT the last 12 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1