Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rumor is

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Just my $0.02, but this is my read/interpretation/recall of what happened.

• Fields was recruited and told he would be given a chance to compete for the job. While they may have told him some of the plays called would have been a little more tailored to his skill set (i.e., have a run option element), I don't think they ever told him they would change the offense. No chance in hell Kirby is going to want to change to some pass heavy spread formation air raid type thing. The basics of the offense is always going to center around a big OL and running the ball.
    • Fields was given a lot more reps than the #2 would normally get in practice heading into the season.
    • Kirby never named Fromm the starting QB before the season started. This (IMO) was his biggest blunder in managing the situation. It created this perception that it was a close competition with the two neck and neck. In reality, that was never the case. As the season played on it was clear Fromm was the starter and they were just trying to get Fields reps. The random yo-yoing with the QB rotation screwed with Fromm's rhythm. Fields showed flashes when he got in with his legs, but he looked like a freshman far more often than not (noticeably more than Fromm did the season earlier). He never looked at all like a polished passer and showed a lot of hesitation and first run instincts when he dropped back.
    • The lack of naming a starting QB led to some semblances of divide in the locker room. Kirby says people in the building knew all along who the starting QB was, but it definitely created a divide, with "Team Fields" mostly being made of some of the guys that came in with him in the 2018 class.
    • As we got into the second half of the season it was clear that Fromm was going to be the starter going forward and the writing was on the wall for Fields. He hardly got any reps in the LSU game and when he did they were all designed runs. Something happened after that game during the open week between that game and the cocktail party. I never heard what exactly it was, but it was the first time that signs of frustration from the Fields side that spilled out. Whatever happened was bad enough to keep Fields out of the cocktail party entirely. Probably not ironically Fromm had one of his best games of the season up until that point.
    • As the season wound down Fields' body language got worse and worse. He didn't play much outside of the extensive work he got against UMass. By the time we got to the SEC Championship Game I'm convinced he had made his mind up about leaving (although his camp claimed otherwise at the time). I'm also convinced that played into the stupid idea to let Fields be the up back on that ill conceived fake punt.
    In the end I think Fields thought he would have no problem unseating Fromm and completely underestimated who he was going up against. Fromm is not a flashy QB and constantly gets dismissed. Chauncy Gardner did it in the lead up to the 2017 cocktail party. And Fromm didn't have great numbers in that game, but made good throws when we needed them and lead the team well. The last part is probably his biggest strength and overcoming that was never going to be an easy thing for Fields. But Fields had been pumped up for a while as the next great thing. He was on the QB1 Netflix show. His HS games were on ESPN. Even our fans had anointed him the next great thing. Probably hard to reconcile getting beat out after being told for so long how great you are, even when the guy that beat you was a 5* guy as well.

As far as the waiver goes, his side has always said they didn't use the incident with the former baseball player as a part of it. Outside of any hard evidence to the contrary I see no reason not to take them at their word. It would be a flimsy argument if they tried to make it. It was one guy in the stands, who was publicly tarred and feathered and promptly run out of town after it happened. And even after the incident his parents signed a LOI for their daughter to come here and play softball. Any attempt to use that as a justification would have come across as pretty hollow.

• Like Like x 4
  2. raygravesghost

raygravesghost All American

Aug 13, 2019
    ATHENS — At the end of the day, Adam Sasser left Georgia with no choice. There was no putting back what came out of his mouth. There was no disciplinary quick-fix. What was done, was done.

Sasser said what he said out in public at a Georgia football game and it was awful. That he was a UGA student on athletic grant-in-aid made it worse. He was called out on it and he admitted to it under investigation.

There will be some who will say Sasser’s constitutional rights for free speech were violated, and there are courts that might agree. But putting on a uniform and competing in school colors changes things. There’s a decorum that comes with that, a standard. You’re representing a whole university, not just one American citizen gifted with unalienable rights.

So Georgia had no choice. For the good of the university, for the safety of campus and for the harmony of the athletics department, it had to part ways with Sasser.

Even Sasser admitted as much. The Bulldogs’ star first baseman issued a statement via Twitter Wednesday evening. To his credit, he completely owned up to his mistakes.

“First and foremost, I want to apologize for my actions at the football game on Saturday,” he said in a statement. “I totally understand why my actions were offensive and I am deeply sorry for any pain or distress this has caused anyone. Secondly, I would like to apologize to the University of Georgia, my teammates and my coaches for the past three years and say that I am extremely sorry I have put you all in this position and wish nothing but the best for everyone.”

Sasser also said on Twitter that he talked with Justin Fields Tuesday night. According to witness accounts, it was at Fields that the racial slurs were directed.

“We are on good terms,” Sasser said of he and Fields.

So Sasser said and did what he should have. And so did Georgia. To have kept Sasser on the team could’ve been a potentially explosive mistake.

As it is, Georgia can only hope the damage control will prevent further fracturing of the pristine campus. According to the complainant in this whole ordeal, cracks were already there.

Africa Buggs, who brought Saturday’s encounter to the attention of school and athletic officials on Monday, says racism still exists on campus. In fact, she said an acquaintance experienced it on the way to the Tennessee game Saturday.

“She was walking by the Miller Learning Center on game day and a group of boys started shouting racial slurs to her,” Buggs said in a telephone interview. “She didn’t even go to the game. She turned around and went back home. So this happens a lot.”

That’s hard to believe in the 18th year of the 21st century — or 57 years after Charlayne Hunter-Gault became the first African-American to enroll at the University of Georgia — but that appears to be the case. African-Americans continue to be a decided minority on campus. They represented only 8 percent of the total enrollment as of last spring.

Racism often is endured in subtle ways, but when it is experienced in shouts in a public place, as Buggs and others encountered this past Saturday, Buggs said she and her friends simply couldn’t let it slide.

Buggs said there were 8 minutes remaining in the game and the student section had emptied considerably. Before that, she and her friends hadn’t noticed Sasser and his buddies. But now, with nobody between them and her and her friends sitting two rows below, Buggs could hear them.

Sitting farthest to the right, Buggs didn’t notice at first. “When I’m at the games, I’m always really into the game,” she said. “Then, Sierra [Buckner] leaned over to me and said, ‘did he just say what I think he said?'”

Before Buckner could tell her what she’d heard, Sasser yelled it again, then again. “Put the [blank] in the game’; put the [blank] in the game.”

Buggs and her friends ended up confronting Sasser and a policeman was summoned to intervene. Ultimately, it was resolved peacefully. Buggs and most of her friends left before the game was over.

But Buggs vowed that it wouldn’t end there.

“I had no idea who he was,” said of Sasser’s status as a star baseball player. “I assumed he was an athlete by his demeanor. … But I would’ve gone forward either way, to be honest. If something like this happens on campus and I hear about it, I’m going to bring attention to it. Something needed to be done.”

So now the case in the hands of UGA’s Equal Opportunity Office (EOO). It’s being considered under the heading of anti-harassment and an anti-discrimination. Sasser’s dismissal from the baseball team doesn’t end that. At the moment, he remains a UGA student.

At the least, Buggs said it is a violation of student conduct code for “unreasonably interfering with or limiting one’s ability to participate in or benefit from an institutional program or activity.”

“That was something I highlighted in the email I originally sent out to the athletic director and the baseball coach,” Buggs said. “Because my friends left early and the girls that were in front of us left even earlier. We usually stay to the end of it but, at that point, I didn’t feel comfortable around him.”

There are reparations to be made inside Georgia’s athletic department as well. Support personnel for both programs has been on alert the last few days for signs of any backlash between the football and baseball teams.

But that’s where UGA deserves credit for doing what needed to be done. By dismissing Sasser from the baseball team, they have diffused a potentially explosive situation.

Georgia did the right thing. The hope is that UGA’s student body will take a cue and start doing the right thing as well.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    very fair response UGA, good info, Fromm is a stud and has been since he took his first game snap

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Who really cares what fields said to bypass the transfer year? We all know it was a load of bull and the NCAA just playing favorites.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Hey, brother, I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak :D, and I don't know all the facts, or maybe even most of the facts (because I really don't care that much), but I do know this: Fields accused an All-SEC baseball first baseman of making racist comments to him, for which the first baseman was kicked out of UGA. I don't know whether Fields played the race card to get to play immediately at OSU or not. I've never seen the documents; but I think that we can safely assume that the reason that people associate Fields with an accusation of racism is because Fields publicly accused somebody of racism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Any word of the DB Smith that's transferred from miami? Their fans are very worried he's coming here!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. raygravesghost

Aug 13, 2019
    Obviously A LOT of people care what fields said....but don't let that stop you from character assassinating the victim

I hope to god that I never see people at BHG sit quietly if one of our own did the same

And the fact that the guy was a fellow athlete makes it even more appalling...
    I mean no one is in favor of theft either but didn't it make you even more pissed that we had teammates stealing stuff from other teammates?

My head hurts from the defense & denial of what occurred

[​IMG]

8. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I could see this. "Favorites" in that fields drama is good for business so the faster he plays the more interest in their product.

9. raygravesghost

Aug 13, 2019

Well if that's your reasoning then you shouldn't assume anything... (especially when there's actually info in front of you to read)

The person who brought the accusation "public" appears in this thread...maybe you should read it?

Fields has never spoken publicly about the incident...but that doesn't stop you from claiming he did does it? Why?

But rather than continue attacking Fields (one of the victims) without merit...How about we celebrate the 3 women who made it public instead?

Georgia's Kirby Smart speaks out against racism exposed by 3 brave UGA students

Georgia’s Kirby Smart speaks out against racism exposed by 3 brave UGA students

ATHENS – Georgia coach Kirby Smart, known to bristle at the tamest of questions, was ready and willing to answer one of the most difficult ones he’s fielded all year.

Adam Sasser, a senior and one of the top hitters on Georgia’s baseball team, stands accused of directing racial slurs at Georgia quarterback Justin Fields during the fourth quarter of this past Saturday’s game against Tennessee. Those alleged remarks caused a confrontation between Sasser and three female students sitting nearby and brought a police officer to scene.

After the exchange was brought to the attention of UGA Athletics administrators on Monday, a full-blown investigation has been launched. As of Tuesday evening, that investigation is now in the hands of UGA’s Equal Opportunity Office and is being considered as an anti-discrimination/anti-harassment case.

Smart was asked after the Bulldogs’ practice Tuesday whether he had addressed the alleged incident with his team.

“I really haven’t,” Smart said. Then he cast his eyes downward to the lectern, where he appeared to read from prepared statement.

“If what I read and heard is true, it’s really unacceptable behavior that’s not who we are at Georgia,” Smart said. “We’re trying to build a program on tolerance and mutual respect. You can’t control what other people say, but the expectation is that people that are part of our program and come to our games share the same beliefs that we do. It’s sad that something like this would happen. I’m disappointed. But it doesn’t affect our family, our unit here and our kids have been great. It’s not something I’ve had to address with them. I’ve addressed it with Justin. That’s the most important thing.”

Asked then how Fields reacted, Smart said, “Justin’s great.”

[​IMG]
    Left to right, this is Africa Buggs, Klarissa Gulebian and Sierra Buckner. Gulebian said they were not afraid to call out a star Georgia baseball player for allegedly shouting racial remarks at this past Saturday’s game between Georgia and Tennessee at Sanford Stadium. (Special)

None of this would be in the public domain had it not been for Klarissa Gulebian. A junior from Lawrenceville, Gulebian witnessed of the confrontation that ensued and is the person who summoned police to the scene. She also posted an account of what happened on the “Overheard at UGA” Facebook page Saturday night and again Sunday morning after it was initially taken down.

Gulebian was attending the game with her friends, Africa Buggs of Wisconsin and Sierra Buckner of Lawrenceville. Buggs is the one who actually brought the incident to the attention of UGA in an email to Georgia baseball coach Scott Stricklin and Athletic Director Greg McGarity. All three women were interviewed by EOO investigators on Tuesday.

“It’s been a bit overwhelming,” Gulebian said of the whole experience. “There has been a lot of response. But most of it has been positive. People have been very supportive.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Thank you for bringing this info in front of me to read.

11. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    This is the problem with the NCAA developing their credibility. If they have established all the parameters regarding transfer rules and enforce it, then they would not have much problem dealing with all these issues. If the rule says you have to sit out a year if you transfer to another division 1 team without any exception, then they sit for a year. Instead, they started making exceptions which opened up a can of worms. They were afraid to get challenged by those that bring the money to these institutions, so they give in. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    WTH would any student yell out crap at a game to a school mate. Free speech sure racial crap he found out is not free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I've sat in row 39 section 20 for many years. I can tell you that there were several times I was harrassed by some drunk guys who bought tickets from the regular season tickets holders in my section. These were the Spurrier years. Even though my kids and I were wearing all gators gabs, we were still harassed by mentioned gators fans. It didn't really bother me because they were drunk. As long as they weren't putting their hands on me or spitting on my kids, I was fine. Figured they were just drunk, young and stupid. But, as I think about it, If they were like that when they were drunk, who's to say they don't have that mentality when they are sober?

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember the last time I was in the Swamp, there was some loser hurling hard curse words. Literally, right in front of him was a husband, wife, and their little kid (looked like maybe a 5 year old boy). The husband I think was just embarrassed and didn't really know how to handle the situation.

I don't get down like that. I confronted the dude. He gave the "I paid to be in here" response. Make a long story short, we get in each other's faces, security stormed the scene, and they made him leave.

It's sad how some people act in public with complete disregard of others and their own disrespectful actions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I actually think that is a pretty good assessment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Roflmao?!!??! I had to go back to the first post to realize that this thread was about the rumor of UF getting a transfer (that ended up being the former 5 star LB from uga). Just thought I’d add this here for anyone who cared about the actual thread topic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think I will lock this thread. I think it has played out any value it had.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.