Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rumor is

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    The 2019 class really took to the proper way to spread a peanut butter and jelly sandwich??

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Everything involving Jan Kemp was related to academics (or the lack thereof) for athletes. It didn’t have anything to do with race.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Hearing Kelvin Joseph is finishing an on-line class this week...then announcing something. :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 All American

Jul 27, 2015
    I think you got fooled. He might have had a few great recruiters, but I'm not sure if it was a team, or if they also didn't have the same facilities issues.

5. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I really do hope that we land him. Would help alot next year even if he plays at a high level and is a one year "rental". One thing is certain though, he better understand that the job won't be handed to him and he'll have to earn it

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO Justin Fields left because he felt he had been lied to didn't want to sit behind Frome another year at least. I suspect he was advised by someone, probably a coach at OSU to use the racism thing to ensure an immediate waiver. By all accounts that I've heard Fields is not a bad apple and comes from a good family. I don't know him or his family. I expect he will do well at OSU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Things look good for KJ. The other potential transfer news has went silent at least for the moment.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. zman-1

zman-1 Junior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Hey, does anyone know where I can find a good UF Football RECRUITING message board?

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  9. nmd55

nmd55 GC Legend

May 24, 2007
    Don't look now, but Miami's starting safety Derrick Smith from Trinity Christian is in the portal!!!
    Dont know if we would have any interest and dont know if the kid could be a immediately eligible grad transfer but....
    It would absolutely break the internet if we got him and he was able to play against UM!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I guess the internet's safe then. Whew. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    My understanding is Fields and his attorney have both denied racism having anything to do with his transfer or his waiver request. Do you have other information that says otherwise.

It should be noted, after an investigation, that student (an all conference baseball player) was removed from the university after he made those comments towards Fields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    This is funny, I was at a conference last week and sat next to a Missouri grad, he thought it was getting really bad in the opposite direction as you just mentioned. Didn't think he would send his kids there with what's going on..

13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I don't disagree with you but here's the thing. There is racism everywhere. Almost everybody in every country or culture in the world exhibits some level of racism against somebody.

And certainly Georgia and Southern states may be somewhat more racist, particularly towards African-Americans, but there's no reason to think that UGA as an institution is any more racially intolerant than Bama, Auburn, USCe, Ole Miss, MSU, LSU or Tennessee.

Maybe something really did happen to Fields, but I think more than likely, as you're suggesting, Field's used racism to get what he wanted. Whether it was his own idea or something put into his head by another coach or somebody around him, if he really did that, I think that's pretty selfish and inexcusable.

Publicly labeling an institution like UGA as being racist, just to get your way, especially if it isn't true, is very selfish and doesn't make him a good apple in my book. Of course if he was sincere and his claims were totally accurate, then I'd feel differently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Then on what basis did Fields get the transfer without having to sit out a year? You guys keep saying he didn't claim racism, yet that's what the reason was understood to be at the time, and therefore, the basis for his case to avoid sitting out a year. So rather than carrying on with the denial side of things, please offer up a viable alternative.

Thanks in advance

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Do you honestly think these side discussions are keeping any recruiting news from you? Climb down off your box and enjoy the goofy off-season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    If Fields indeed left because he didn't want to sit behind Fromme for a year, and he threw the racism card in order to get his way, then in my book he's a bad apple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This is what I remember. Thanks for posting.
    I remember that Field's lawyer emphatically denied that the racism excuse was in his petition.
    He didn't say what WAS in his petition, but he didn't say that the racist remark was not the reason.
    Yet the story lives on, because it's been repeated over and over.

Some have questioned then, why Field's transfer was approved.
    I don't know, but many athletes transfer requests were also approved, and most didn't involve racism accusations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    My guess is because he was headed to a sacred cow school his transfer was approved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We were recruiting "lights out" and it was inexplicable. The wheels probably would have come off by now. We were a terrible team. Same type of thing seems to be happening at fsu.

20. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course his lawyer said that. It's his lawyers job to paint his client in the best possible light. That hardly means its true. C'mon guy's.

You guys really believe that it's merely coincidence that someone shouted a racial slur toward Fields and that he was then granted an unprecedentedly quick waiver based on some sort top secret issue that no one knows anything about?

Doesn't it seem more likely the Fields played the race card to get what he wanted and his lawyer is just feeding us BS to protect his client?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.