Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

MUST READ: ROUND#2 Debate/Discuss Centers: Official NBN 2nd Annual Gator MBK Fantasy Draft

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, Jun 22, 2018.

1. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

It's about to Go Down!!!
    [​IMG]
    Round #1 is history. Time to move on!
    We hope this round will be one of the best parts of this year's draft contest - the discussion & debate!​

We hope everyone (even those who didn't submit Round #1 lists) will chime in & engage in Round#2 debate. We're looking forward to a spirited discussion so post your opinions, theories and suppositions as to who, why and how your list of Greatest All-time Gators is truly the best.

We know y'all have excellent debating skills so we have high expectations for level of discourse here. Don't forget, we're allowing both collegiate and NBA/Professional career stats this year.

With that, here are the top 5 Gator Centers as nominated by you, the experts:
    CENTERS
    Udonis Haslem
    Joakim Noah
    Dwayne Schintzius
    Neal Walk
    Patric Young

PS: Your humble NBN Mods made the executive decision to present the respective position lists alphabetically so as to eliminate any potential bias effect that might otherwise occur were we to present the names according to points received. (Take it up with Harnett if you have questions.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    This might be the easiest position to rank so I’ll start here.

1. Neal Walk - Few of us have ever seen him play, and until last year many didn’t even know the GOAT existed. Check the stats and the pro resume. Drafted at #2 overall which is the highest ever for a Gator. No brainer.
    2. Joakim Noah - No one brought more fire to a team in this program’s history. Left it all out there every game and won us our only national championships. Eventual NBA all-star who brought the Bulls back up to playoff success post-Jordan. Great finisher and defender.
    3. Udonis Haslem - all around great player who has had a remarkably long NBA career (longest in our history, I believe). That’s a sign a player has no weakness in his game.
    4. Dwayne Schintzius - 7 footer who could score and defend like crazy. I might be biased ranking Haslem over him but it’s a close call. Dwayne struggled in the NBA and I think he had character issues which I discussed at length with @harnettgator during our semifinal showdown.
    5. Andrew DeClercq - big body with 3-point range. He was ahead of the trend. Played 10 years in the NBA but I think he’d have a more prominent role in today’s game. Took us to our first final four and ended with a very solid career resume.

I would’ve had Patric Young at 6.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

May 16, 2017
    Not so easy but similar to Cincinnati:

1. Walk: Put UF on the map anchoring some very good teams. Averaged 21 points and 15 rebounds in a 3 year career (no freshman eligibility).

2. Horford: Could interchange Noah here. I counted Noah as a PF. If Horford is considered a center, this is the spot for him.

3. Schintzius: Ranked slightly higher than Haslem based on stats for his best years and how big a lift he was for the program at the time. We might not have even made our first NCAA Tournament in 1987 without him (see 1986 - same team minus Schintzius - NIT). However, Dwayne was selfish and quit on the team plus Haslem had a better pro career.

4. Haslem: Great durable team player always drawing the best bigs the SEC could throw at him; stuck around for his 4th year and got hacked mercilessly as a senior. Obviously worked hard to lose weight and had a long NBA career with 3 championships.

5. Eugene McDowell: "Eugene the Dunking Machine" Tough as nails - started every game at UF and was dominant in the paint. No threat from outside. Gets little recognition because he played on non tournament teams just before the mid 80s infusion of talent.

As an aside: Why weren't those early 80s teams with Delancy, McDowell and Williams better? Were the guards before Moten that bad or was Sloan hell bent on getting it into the paint and ignoring the outside?

6. Patric Young

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t have the luxury of perspective, but doesn’t Neal have to be #1? Any historian o have ever spoke with consider him the GOAT.
    Stats back up the claim.
    My “surprise”pick here is UD at the 2 spot. Donovan once summarized UD’s career by calling him the best player in program history. I won’t put up too much debate. I have him at #2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Another player to consider is Cliff Luyk

• Like Like x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I agree with your top 4 and had Patric Young at #5. Being on the best team in Florida history based on W/L percentage wise gives him the nod over DeClercq.

7. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

Okay so just for the sake of argument, er friendly debate, here :)

I feel compelled to open this discussion up to a more thorough examination of these so-called character issues. What exactly were Schintzius' character issues? I was a pretty young kid and can't remember those Gator teams terribly well so I'll defer to those with clearer perspective (@OklahomaGator, @gatorbogey and others may provide greater detail).

Seems to me, based on what I've read of those teams, Schintzius' biggest problems were a short fuse (quick temper) and hypersensitivity to criticism stemming from having been teased a lot as a kid due to his appearance. Surely some of us can relate to those struggles...

And I'm not totally sure he quit on his team so much as he quit on Devoe and that whole debacle. There again though, I'll defer to those who recall the timeline of that whole disastrous period in the UF UAA history better than me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Devoe was terrible. I can see why everyone would jump ship!

Back at that time, I worked off hours at g’ville CC as a greenskeeper while attending UF. One day Dwayne was out playing golf, maybe schmoozing an agent, etc. golf has a way of revealing character. What I saw from him was opposite the reported stories. He was quite self effacing . Took flubs in stride. Kept his humor about it all. Seemed to be a good playing partner and was engaged in listening to what the others were saying. And, Was congenial to the *help* (me).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

That's an awesome story Bogey! Appreciate you sharing it.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    You answered your own question, Karen. :monkey:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Agree with everyone regarding Walk.

I have Horford 2. I believe he is should be considered for both Center and PF.

We have had some great big men over the years!

12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I loved DeClerq, but he played the 4 for us. Our center was Da Meat Hook.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I have all their positions mixed up. He played some center in the NBA.

14. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

May 16, 2017
    I have no problem with the tennis racquet incident, the spitting or breaking a side mirror on a car. Those were stupid mistakes but he was young. The bigger transgression was letting the team and his school down by leaving mid way through the 89-90 season. For a decision that big - saving himself for the draft - he should have sought better advice and considered his teammates more. Granted, Devoe was a big mistake in a bad situation (not many coaches available the week before the season opened when Sloan was fired) but that still could have been a pretty good team. When Schintzius left after 11 games, the Gators were 6-5 and underachieving but he was averaging near 20 points and 10 rebounds. With Davis, Chatman, Poole and Grimsley, they had a core with legit tournament potential. After he left, they won 1 more game for the year. Some of that was due to Chatman getting hurt as well but the team was in disarray when Dwayne left. The sad part for him is that he was supposed to be working out to enhance his draft stock and he managed to get out of shape and fall lower.

It was a dark time in UF MBK history and painful to watch it unfold.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

That's an extremely informative post, Hobe, and greatly appreciated.
    I'd forgotten that whole back story if I'd ever known it at all. Thanks again!

Oh by the way - IMO based on the numbers, you kinda have to put Neal Walk at #1 (though I'm not 100% sure having obv. never seen him play and not knowing what the game was like at that time); Joakim at #2 and Udonis at #3.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    The end result of the tennis racket incident is that it got us a win at Vanderbilt. Their fans threw tennis balls on the court near the end of the game and received a technical foul. We made the free throws and won the game.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    The ole “boys will be boys” excuse when it comes to your 7-footer, @harnettgator ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. harnettgator

harnettgator VIP Member

I couldn’t remember which game that was. I remember that story.

19. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I don't understand why McDowell didn't make the centers list. He and Ronnie Williams played together. McDowell was the CENTER. I was at most of his home games. Take my word for it...Eugene the Dunking Machine he was a CENTER.

I also think of Haslem as a PF, not a center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. hobegator

hobegator VIP Member

May 16, 2017
    Excellent historic point. I remember watching that game on TV and then going to the airport at midnight to watch the team come in. Winning the 1st SEC title was a big deal.

• Agree Agree x 2