Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ron DeSantis

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, May 22, 2020.

1. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The only "national" praise he is getting is from Trump. Where else, other than Fox, is he getting this praise from. Dude has been very lucky up to this point but the fact that he doesn't do anything without Trump directing him should concern everybody.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Because I explicitly stated it was an A- before the lockdown.

3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Any word on when you can re-open your bar?

4. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Again, enjoy the Great Depression II

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    So what do you think should have happened? Shut nothing down, just go about our regular business?
    What exactly?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    They didn’t fall in love with him after the press conferences. They already were in love with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Anyone who has actually looked at Florida’s numbers and policy decisions has praised RD. The people criticizing him and predicting Florida would have NYC level numbers right now are either hiding or screaming just wait another two to four weeks.

RD has been a classic example of a media narrative that got it completely wrong but are still hoping they end up being right and won’t admit they were wrong.

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    This has always been a virus that affected certain groups more than others. The data has always shown that. Separate the at risk groups . Quarantine nursing homes. Segregate hospitals by risk category. Restricted access based on category,

Basically, attack the specific problem, don’t kill everything. What has been done here is the same as cancelling a football game in The Swamp and sending 90,000 people home because one guy threw up at the end of the first quarter.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Monday morning QB...some counties should have never been shut down. I was saying that from the beginning. But I can see why he did the whole state when he did. That said...early on when he had a press conference after shutting down a lot of stuff (including elective procedures) he discussed how there is not a one size fits all approach and that the state should not be that absolute authority. That press conference is the only one that I give him a bad grade for. Not for the talk but for the walk. I called the FDA to have them push to have him back off his EO 20-72 that shut down Care for patients in low risk areas. It took him until a week and a half before to remove the expiration of that EO to relieve it early.

End of the day that was a mistake. From missed cancer screenings and diagnosis’s to care for quality of life issues to people just not going to the doctor...a lot of damage was done by that decision.

Considering the decisions he has to make and that many have been scared to death by this reaction he has handled the crisis extremely well when you look at it from the context of how it played out and taking in all the information happening. The numbers just never made sense to me to shut down low risk areas until they needed to “flatten the curve”.

10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    He got lucky...so far. Dont get me wrong, I am happy to see things open but I am so hoping that I too am not wrong in my opinion.

11. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I have been pretty happy with DeSantis. He has shown some movement towards cleaning up our waterways and was supportive of the voters choice to make marijuana legal for medical use - didn't put up any roadblocks and kept it from being reversed. I don't agree with paying unsupervised private schools my tax money, and I don't like that he tried to block ex felons from voting. He is a true mixed bag for me right now. As far as the pandemic, he was slow to close the beaches, and he keeps spouting how great we did compared to what was predicted. The reason we have done well, despite the fact he was slow to act, was because Disney and other parks shut down, and our local officials ordered the stay at home orders before he ordered one. The original projection was if we did nothing. I'm 50/50 on him at this point.

12. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    If RD had given the order to force nursing homes to take in infected COVID-19 patients, do you think he would be getting the same treatment from the press that Cuomo is?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    everyone knows the answer to this but just looks the other way. They might try to say “Cuomo is such a good speaker” crap but the reality is DeSantis would get toasted and rightfully so if he did what Cuomo did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2020-5-25_14-20-56.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    It is tantamount to a poll tax, that is why. Did you know we are the only state that wouldn't allow or made it nearly impossible for former felons to vote? They did their time in jail, most have turned their lives around, let them vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    The problem with this virus is that we still are learning from it. First we thought just older people or those with underlying conditions were vulnerable with kids not even getting it. Then kids got it. Then people younger than 65 with no underlying conditions started dying. We also found out that you can not show any symptoms and pass it to someone who is vulnerable, or even someone who shouldn't be, but obviously could die from it anyway. I remember the story of the 30 year old healthy guy who never made it to the hospital and died. Error on the side of caution until you really know what this can do to our general public.

17. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Much like the flu or a cold or any other viral infection when they were first discovered.

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Beaches should have never been closed.

The science is showing us that as things proceed. This virus does not spread via asymptomatic super spreaders. Add to it the open air at the Beach and that typically you don’t go to the Beach when you are sick. The Beach is not and was not an issue for spreading. I keep hearing about how he was late. Well...end of the day he should have never done it. If he was late and the Beach was an issue we would have seen a massive outbreak.

This attacks the vulnerable.

A study on infectivity of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If this thing spread via asymptomatic super spreaders...we would have a 2009 H1N1 infection rate happening. We are not going to get anywhere close to that. It is more deadly to a specific demographic. H1N1 is not as deadly but worse for other demographics.

Time to take the numbers and science and stop scaring people. Instead focus on solutions to beat this terrible virus that sadly will cause far more damage outside of those it actually infects because of the overreaction.

A study on infectivity of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers

20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Still in a holding pattern as bars and nightclubs are going to be the last things that open. Even then we are going to leave it up to our employees what amount of crowd they are comfortable with, so it will probably be a while till we are back to fully open. Thanks for asking though.

• Like Like x 2