Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ron DeSantis

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, May 22, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I actually think he was more in tuned to everything than I thought he was. And as I said...I was frustrated for the opposite reason as I thought we should have never shut everyone down. Certain areas and certain things? Sure and Maybe. But he was focused on the evidence and what demographics are affected.

'Where Does Ron DeSantis Go to Get His Apology?' | National Review

2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    In hindsight I actually think Desantis got things relatively right. But he didn't do it on purpose. If he had come out and said what his plan was from the start I would sit here and eat a mound of crow because I would have been wrong and he would have been right. But he literally just said he was waiting on what Trump said. He never said what stats he was looking at, or demographics, or any of that stuff. Not having a plan and it working out relatively effectively doesn't garner credit from me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    DeSantis would make an excellent President. I am really impressed with how he handled the pandemic. Here is to hoping he wins the Republican nomination for 2024.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Balbanes

Balbanes All American

Oct 7, 2014
    We should have shut down much sooner, and should still be shut down. We need a plan to re-open the economy that is motivated by public health not by economics and politics. 70% of the economy is consumer spending, you can "reopen" all you want, but without a plan to make people feel safe shopping, they're not going back. Our plan, full stop, is "re-open." That's a major failure on the parts of both the federal government and many state governments.

Lockdown Delays Cost at Least 36,000 Lives, Data Show

If we had shut down earlier, lots of lives would have been be saved. Columbia University just released a study showing that we would have saved 34,000 lives if we had shut down 1 week earlier. If we had shut down two weeks earlier, 83% of deaths would have not happened.

Flights were down 90% and restaurants were down 75% prior to the shutdown but everyone was still going to work. Consumers had already shut everything down by then from a spending standpoint. So what was the purpose of those tens of thousands of American Citizens dead? And why aren't you pissed about this?

People's parents and grandparents being stored in piles in refrigerated trucks because hospitals ran out of room, laid next to young people who had asthma, cancer survivors, and those who were born with diabetes.

So please, tell me again what exactly Desantis got right with his COVID-19 response?

• Come On Man x 6
    • Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    DeSantis won me over at the beginning of his term when dealing with Florida's environmental policies. His push back on Amendment 4 ended the honeymoon. I felt he was late in reacting to the pandemic waiting on Trump. That's another issue, I don't like the fact he's tied to Trump at the hip, I want a governor that doesn't feel like he needs to answer to anyone but the people of his state. Now I think he's withholding data in order to return to business as usual, well the business as usual train jumped the tracks when this shit hit the fan.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    This virus has been politicized from the beginning. If you believe a model from Columbia that plugged numbers for you to get upset. I can’t help you.

Just look at the numbers. Let your fear go! This virus does not spread asymptomatic as a super spreader. If it did we would be dealing with H1N1 and more deaths. Instead we are at 1/50th of the cases and on the decline.

My big concern going forward is about our school district. Will they rely heavily on the ridiculous CDC suggested guidelines or not. The guidelines talk about how to help the students cope with the fear we have inflicted on them (we are talking young kids) near the bottom. They say to avoid the news and talk about it. Yet at the top they suggest multiple announcements on the PA system and signage to let them know about Covid. All teachers they suggest wear masks. Students older than 2 that can wear masks and handle it they suggest to do.

Talk about mentally screwing kids up!

This virus is a Quarantine the sick. Have a purpose to protect the vulnerable (assisted living/nursing homes/etc). And go back to normal.

We have screwed up so many people with the fear!

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm the opposite. I'm no DeSantis fan (don't dislike him, jury is still out), but I have no problem with the additional consideration proposed for Amendment 4. I mean, if the whole deal is about "completing your obligation to society" then I don't see why the financial obligation (some of which may be due to the victim) shouldn't be a part of that. How many felons are we talking about that are chomping at the bit to vote, but claim the financial burden is unreasonable to attain? The whole thing seems like a minuscule political tug-of-war, no? Without data, I have a hard time seeing how anybody can be outraged by the position.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Balbanes

Balbanes All American

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm upset that we are somewhere around 30% of the world's total deaths with only 4.5% of the world's population. And we weren't even the first country to get hit by the virus, not by far.

It doesn't take a statistician to see that most of those deaths did not have to happen.

Either you don't care about American lives, or you live in a faux news conspiracy fantasy land. In either case, our views are irreconcilable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to discuss this further. Another time and another thread I guess.

10. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    My issue is that the citizens of Florida were pretty clear in passing the amendment what they wanted. And instead Desantis resorted to manipulation of the poor wording to try and undercut what was obviously the will of the people and what they intended by voting for the amendment. The actual nuance of the amendment is less an issue for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    what does this have to do with DeSantis’s handling of the coronavirus? We have a very low death rate, and probably the best in the country when you factor in the age of our population in Florida. If you give DeSantis a bad grade I’d love to hear the grade for Cuomo. Not sure there is a letter in the alphabet low enough for the grade I’d give him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    Why not 2020?

14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I took the thread title as leaving the thread potentially open for a wide range of topics on DeSantis, but what say you, @QGator2414 ?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    You're right, I had this confused with a covid topic thread.

Right out of the gates restitution was not part of the amendment that was voted on.
    After a felon gets out of jail he/she may not be able to find the type of job, to just start paying off fines, payment plans can take years to complete, sometimes there is no one to actually pay back, so there is just more room for unnecessary red tape and needless delays to the process. It's dangerously close to revisiting the poll tax.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    We are not even to 1% testing positive. If you are under 65 and healthy there is no real risk.

If you are that scared. Stay home.

Quarantine the sick. Protect the vulnerable. Get back to normal.

The long term damage done will be far worse now than this virus will ever cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am all good with discussing DeSantis in the broad sense. That was kind of the hope. Sure the pandemic will likely dominate. But I actually liked seeing the discussion on voting rights.

I have not dug that far into DeSantis with regards to that issue.

My stance is once you have paid your debt then you should be able to vote. The one problem is when there is an unreasonable restitution placed on the person. That said...I don’t think the guy whom we have a Civil Theft Judgement against should be able to vote until he makes us whole. :)

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I agree that restitution could be an issue. At the same time. I am not sure how to justify allowing a person to vote if they stole money from someone and never returned what they stole.

I could maybe get to time served and returning everything taken. But then it gets complicated because say someone severely injured someone criminally and they now have life lasting effects and cost them thousands of dollars in medical bills.

I made the comment about the Civil Theft Judgement we have in jest. But in a way I truly kind of wish it were real to make the guy and his wife pay for what they did. I don’t think that a Civil suit is warranting the removal of being able to vote. Just wish the State would have gone after the small fish in our case because theft is criminal. Even when done white collar style. :)

19. gatorbronco

gatorbronco GC Legend

I can't believe people actually admit they voted for Gillum. Can you imagine if he had won and he almost did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I like him better than Trump, but I don’t think that is going to happen.

• Like Like x 1