Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roman Gabriel passes away at 83

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Apr 21, 2024.

1. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ces1948

ces1948 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One of my favorites growing up. Big guy somewhere around 6'4" 230-240 lbs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

He was a force in his day. RIP Roman

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Roman Gabriel on offense and the Fearsome Foursome on defense...just when I was getting really into football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Roman Gabriel was fun to watch. Seems to me he set the trend for the prototype QB that followed in the NFL. Big, strong arm and able to sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart. QB’s seemed to get taller after his success.
    RIP Roman Gabriel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Gabriel to TE Truax, especially the little dump pass! Great QB! RIP

• Like Like x 2
  7. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Remember watching him as a kid.

8. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

9. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    There’s a name that jiggles my memory. Billy Truax. Great tight end from not so great LSU.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roman Gabriel is the only QB of Filipino heritage that I can recall, which is a big deal to us Filipinos who rarely reach six feet tall, much less play NFL football.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Roman Gabriel was Filipino? Wow that comes as a surprise.
    Honest question: why is being native of the Philippines not spelled Philippino?
    Inquiring minds want to know

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How about those Filipino Olympic divers. Now that’s something.

14. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    You can kind of claim Tebow. He was born in the Philippines.

• Like Like x 2
  15. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. There are competing theories that all might hold some truth.

In the 1600s the land was referred to as Las Islas Filipino after King Philip, which was spelled Felipe in Spanish. In the 1800s the name was anglicized as the Philippine Islands.

Throughout the country’s history, different parts of the island were dominated by different cultures. The Spanish and the Americans unified the most of these cultures as a single country. One thing in common regardless of whether it was the Spanish, Indonesians, Indians, or Chinese dominating the culture, the letter P and the diphthong Ph was not part of any of their native languages—especially during the period where they were finally converging on a national language. This means you will see the official name of the country as The Philippines in English, Republika ng Pilipinas as the official name in Tagalog or Pilipino or Filipino (yeah… it is confusing), and the people are known as Filipinos or Pinoys. There is no consensus outside the official name of the country. To make matters worse, outside the main island, not everyone actually speaks the official language 100% of the time. The further away you get from Manila the less likely you will hear the official language of Filipino. In one sentence you might hear a mix of Filipino, old Tagalog, and the local dialect or language. Of the 19 officially recognized languages (70+ including the ones not officially recognized), not all are mutually intelligible outside the three or so major groupings.

TLDR: The history of the Philippines is complicated and they are still too diverse to unify behind a single language and single spelling of words that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeah. I was also born in the Philippines to an American father, so I like that aspect. The difference is that both of Tebow’s parents were American so he was registered as an American born abroad. I have one Filipino parent, so I was also registered as an American born abroad with the option to claim either or both. All that to say, it would be a stretch to call Tim Tebow Filipino knowing what I went through in a similar situation.

18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Hey thanks for the informative reply. All the Filipinos I’ve ever met are cool people. My dad was USAF and stationed at Clark Field in the late 40s. The stories he and my mom told of life there sounded like a whole lot of wild and crazy fun.

19. No problem. I would generally agree that Filipinos are cool people. If you ever visit what is now the Clark Freeport and Economic Zone or simply “Clark”, everyone is super friendly, the streets are safe, and everything is westernized. Filipino-Americans in America are a mixed bag, so it really depends on upbringing.

My dad met my mom at Clark AB in the 1960s. I also had uncles stationed at Clark Field after WW2. Most people would say it was one of the best assignments because there was a lot to do, the language barrier was not too bad, the people were friendly, and everything was cheap (including things we generally do not talk about on a forum).

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Less than 5 years after winning WWII didn’t hurt either! They were on top of the world in the late 40s - early 50s

• Like Like x 1