Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roe v Wade Overturned

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 24, 2022.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    If it's truely that big of an issue, absolutely will be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    So the electoral system which allows gerrymandering to defy popular will and insulates them from backlash will exact electoral consequences, eh? Surely the Iranian elections will show those mullahs the door for going to far too.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Overturning R v W is the metaphorical nuclear strike against women's health issues. The reaction, in my opinion, is perfectly proportionate.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Perhaps, but your earlier point that "no one is looking to ban abortions" is patently absurd and false.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Probably not.
    I’m not running with the sky is falling crowd though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Funny you should say this....I'm sure there is another thread on the SC's rampage on their Religious rights.... but I told my DIL who is a teacher to bring a prayer rug to school in the fall and lead the children in a prayer to Allah . She is agnostic by the way

• Like Like x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting thread with admittedly anecdata about medical providers refusing to continue to provide prescriptions for rheumatoid arthritis because of potential effects if she gets pregnant. Women will suffer for fear of doctors being prosecuted if the treatment they employ that is the standard of care has some risk of impacting an unintended pregnancy, because their suffering is less important that unintended harm to a theoretical pregnancy

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I'm actually headed to my doctor & my dad texted me about this so just saw it.

I'm on methotrexate among many other things. I have RA and lupus...among other things. I can't take biologics like Humira because of injection site issues. Methotrexate is basically the "standard of care" for a lot of autoimmune diseases because it's cheap & it works. By cheap I mean that biologics can cost THOUSANDS a month. Methotrexate is a few dollars.

Methotrexate is also used as chemotherapy.

Just like other medications you're told to use birth control but in the case of failure there may be catastrophic complications. For women...AND MEN. Methotrexate & other medications can affect sperm and create abnormalities on THEIR end.

Lupus can be fatal. Read up on it. These are painful, debilitating diseases. And for those who are saying oh you're being hysterical, Texas' law SPECIFICALLY mentions Methotrexate. It's now increasingly difficult to get in Texas.

So you know what else causes pregnancy complications? Most pain medications, ADVIL (increased bleeding possible miscarriage), seizure medications...there's a whole slew of them.

Someone like me? I'd be dead without my medications.

But it's only about abortion, right?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Also...

The ‘abortion pill’ may treat a disease affecting many veterans. What happens now?

You folks cheering this just don't get it. Maybe when it actually personally affects you or someone you care about you will. But it shouldn't have to take that.

Oh for those trying to conceive by IVF? Places are canceling that due to the rulings. So a way for so many parents to conceive is no longer an option.

Cheer away. Off to my doctor's appointment. Another reason to be thankful to be up here. I don't have to worry about treatment-just the diseases.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    They will tell you to go take horse paste instead probably.

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So sorry. Wishing the best, especially during these times

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Those GOP politicians are going to be hating themselves now that their mistresses won't be able to get an abortion in many states. I assume they will just pay to have their mistresses travel to a state where they can get one

14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's the thing the rich and well connected will still be able to get safe abortions. Those without means are on their own. it's the gop way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Had a conversation with a coworker yesterday. She is 35 and trying to get pregnant. She is now worried that if something goes wrong, she could die because she won't be able to end the pregnancy.

No one realized what a trump presidency would do long term. I know I didn't. This week has been an outright assault against the people of this country. And if you're jumping for joy over this, it's only a matter of time before they come for your rights too.
    I'm sorry you're going through what you've been saddled with. Ignorance is something we all have, but to refuse to educate yourself in lieu of what you want to believe, is stupidity. Who cares if a woman dies and 5 minutes later her fetus dies? At least they believe they are going to heaven because they "saved" that baby. DA's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The emancipation proclamation was a metaphorical strike against slaveholders too.

Roe was crap law.

The reaxn is disproportionate bc an egregious error has been corrected, and the rxn is all about preserving a patent error, bc it fell to the protesters benefit.

Ps: The Baby. There's that, too...

17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007

Well, we're 50 years behind on fixing the law, bc the Burger Court iced the convo for 5 decades under a bogus concoction that was bound to get waxed due to its shit reasoning.

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    A baby is a different phase of development, just like an adult and a baby have different rights because they are different stages of development. Wasn't that your argument? So why are you continuing to misclassify fetuses or embryos? Is it because you think it helps your argument?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    What if you're only some of these?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    You should be OK - LOL