Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Robert Johnson Oregon’s head track and field coach not retained

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorpjb, Jun 25, 2022.

1. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    University of Oregon’s head Track and Field coach Robert Johnson was not retained (his contract expired this year).
    I only bring this news to a Gator board because Coach Johnson and Coach Holloway have a very close relationship.
    There is some speculation that Johnson might consider a role with Florida in possibly a coach in waiting role, he is only 50… personally I don’t see it happening, Johnson is an outstanding coach, I doubt he would want a subordinate role.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    oregon is more of a distance school, maybe come here and work with the cross-country teams?

3. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    They have that reputation, but Johnson’s personal background is in jumps and sprints.
    It’s true Oregon has won two CC Championships under Coach Johnson, but they have scored plenty of points in sprints and jumps over the years. They are very well rounded. They didn’t win their multiple NCAA championships with just distance runners.
    Micah Williams was considered the best 100 meter runner in the collegiate rank’s this year, it was a huge upset when Fahnbulleh won and Williams finished 7th.
    They have had national champions in events from events from 60 meters to 10,000 meters. Incidentally the 1st high school boy in Florida to run under 4 minutes in the mile (he is also an excellent 800 meter runner) signed with Oregon this year.

4. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    might he be having second thoughts or is the nike money to great?

5. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Who knows, I suspect it may depend on who the new coach and assistant coaches are to a degree, but Oregon has certainly benefited from the relationship over the years.

6. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i know florida is not been a good distance school in the past, but maybe valby's success at nationals might influence him some as to a change in the program.

7. 352Fella

352Fella GC Legend

Jan 30, 2008
    East Gainesville
    Jasmine Montgomery (sprinter) transfers from UO to UF:

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Jasmine holds the Texas High School record (all conditions) in the 100 meters at 11.09. She was in her first year at Oregon with somewhat mixed results, but make no mistake this is a great get for UF.
    She was the number 1 rated 100 meter women coming out of high school… number 3 in the 200 meters.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1