Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rivals Top 100, 150 and 250 Recruits UF Has, Are After or Has Recruited for 2020

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by tarponbro, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I posted on the "Coaching and Recruiting" thread over on Swamp Gas about how many top 100, 150 and 250 recruits I think UF needs to recruit each year to become a dominant program and stay there. My theory if UF needs at least 5 or 6 top 100, 10 or 12 top 150 and at least 15 recruits total in the Top 250 in the USA each year to build a dominant football team. This thread will have nothing to do with coaching, just amounts of recruits. I'm not worried about 5 stars or 4 stars, just the top 250 recruits in the USA per Rivals.
    I'll list these recruits by these categories:
    PRESENT UF RECRUITS
    TOP 100: D. Wingo
    TOP 150: L. Manuel
    G. Dexter
    A. Helm
    TOP 250: J. Rogers
    L. Goods
    R. Torrence
    SHOULD BE AT LEAST TOP 250: J. Fraziars
    A. Richardson
    A. Powell
    UNDECIDED RECRUITS:
    TOP 100: B. Robinson, WR
    EJ Smith, RB
    TOP 150: X. Henderson, WR
    M. Dumervil, OL
    J. Knighton, RB
    TOP 250: Z. Walker (151), DL
    Arian Smith, WR
    POSSIBLE FLIPS:
    A. Williams, S. Oregon
    T. Smith, DT, Alabama
    J. Robinson, DB, Alabama
    PLAYERS UF RECRUITED BUT COMMITTED TO ANOTHER SCHOOL:
    TOP 100: D. Bowman, RB, Clemson
    F. Davis, DB, Clemson
    M. Rosemy, WR, Georgia
    C. Beck, QB, Georgia
    TOP 250: M. Wideman ( #101), WR, FSU
    Miles Brooks, DB, Georgia Tech
    TOP 250: Casiah Holmes, WR, Penn State
    Jalen Rivers, OL, Miami
    Chantz Williams, DE, Miami
    H. Gray, S/DB, Nebraska
    Jayson Jones (possible flip?), DT
    Josh Braun, OL, Georgia
    I'm sure there's a bunch of recruits I missed but this is the best I can do for now. The next thing I'm going to do is add a few players UF has recruited, that are undecided, possible flips or committed elsewhere (and realistically not signing with UF) to our present recruiting class to make a theoretical recruiting class. BTW, I count 10 Top 250 recruits in UF's present recruiting class but I'll add 7 or 8 recruits to make a full class of 28 (+1?).
    Here I Go:
    Demarcus Bowman, EJ Smith or J. Knighton, RB
    Fred Davis or J. Robinson, DB
    Tim Smith, DT
    2 of the following WRs: Marcus Rosemy, Bryan Robinson, Xavier Henderson or Malachi Wideman
    Marcus Dumervil, OL
    Avantae Williams, S
    OPTIONAL #8: Josh Braun, OL
    That would give UF 6 or 7 Top 100, 4 or 5 Top 150 and 4 or 5 Top 250 recruits, so it would be a maximum of 17 recruits in the top 250. Add these recruits to UF's present class and what do you think UF's recruiting ranking would be:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Top work Tarpon, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I am a big believer that top talent wins championships, and we need more. However, some of the list of possible recruits really aren't going to move the dial. I am very hopeful that we will flip Timothy Smith, maybe Wideman from FSU, and Knighton from FSU or Marks from MSU. All of those are near elite types that I expect to make a difference. Some on the list our staff did not rate as highly as the services: Miles Brooks, Fred Davis, Jahquez Robinson. The staff preferred our TX guys and Tre-vez Johnson. Despite his ranking after watching his highlights there are few DB in the nation, and none that we have ever been in on, that I would take over Tre-vez. Between him and Torrence we will have two safeties that will put fear into WR. If we can add Tae Williams to those two, we will have changed the safety position talent from weakness to strength quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I'll add something else. This is a more realistic scenario for UF to add to its' 2020 recruits:
    Tim Smith, DT Flip
    Jaylon Knighton, RB
    Xavier Henderson, WR
    Less Likely:
    A. Williams, S Flip
    B. Robinson, WR
    M. Dumervil, OL
    J. Robinson, DB Flip
    If UF can sign 4 or 5 of these players it will be a great recruiting year, provided these guys get admitted to school and stay in school.

5. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I think UF needs to recruit 3 or more safeties this year and next to get the depth that's needed there. To recruit two this year would be a mistake, because injuries, transfers, etc. can easily throw the depth chart off kilter. UF will need extra defensive and offensive lineman and 4 WRs would help a lot also. I like the Marc Britt commitment because he can play both Safety and WR. For 2021, I look for UF to sign more than one LB also. Good post, Krippy!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    The most complete and level headed post offered by anyone not named Candy on AR!! (Dealing with the 2020 class)

Thanks for offering, tarponbro!!

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I love 5-6 top 100 and 10-12 top 150. So we get 10-12% of all the players from 100-150 lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    It's 10-12 in the top 150 and it includes 5 or 6 in the top 100, not both those recruits and 10-12 more. If UF can get 10 in the top 150 it would be amazing, but I think that's about what's needed to be a top 5 team in football, not just in recruiting, each year. When UF is about the #10 team in recruiting, many posters here seem to think UF can do much better and this is what I think it takes to do that. If UF gets T. Smith, A.Williams, X. Henderson, M. Dumervil and B.Robinson , UF will have 9 recruits rated in Rivals' Top 150 for 2020. Between one and three more Top 150 recruits would be needed to achieve one of the goals I've posted here. If UF gets those 5 guys this year they're close, really close.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    5-6 out of 50 people (150-100) is 10-12%

10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    You're right about that, but 5 or 6 in the Top 100 is 5 or 6% and 10-12 in the top 150 is less than 10% also. About 5 recruits in just the top 50 is what Top 5 recruiting universities are getting, at least for the last couple of years. This year, Ohio State already has 5 top 50 recruits and LSU, Clemson and Georgia have four each, and I count 11 recruits in the top 50 who are undecided. In the Top 100 for 2020, LSU has 12 recruits, followed by Ohio State at 9, Clemson at 8, Alabama and Georgia at 7, and Texas and Texas A&M with 5. The 2019 Top 100 was led by Alabama at 9, Georgia at 8, LSU at 7, Texas and Oklahoma at 6, and Ohio State, Penn State, Texas A&M and Oregon with 5. In 2019, Georgia had 6 and Alabama and LSU each had 5 recruits in the Rivals Top 50. What I'm saying is colleges need recruiting numbers like the ones I mentioned to get into and stay in the Top 5, both in the recruiting and the football rankings. Who are the best teams out there right now? Alabama, Clemson, LSU and Ohio State, and a case can be made for Georgia, Penn State, Oklahoma and Oregon for #5 at least. What do these schools have in common? Five or more recruits in the Top 100 in 2019 and/or 2020. Coincidence? It doesn't look like that to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Things are changing daily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Another similarity I noticed between Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, Oklahoma and Oregon was their QBs. They have very good QBs in addition to talent across the board. The QB is the most important position but it takes more than that to field consistent Top 5 and Top 10 teams.

13. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    In reality, and I use 24/7 Composit because Rivals is so incredibly biased, Clemson won 2 of the past 3 National Championships with recruiting classes over the past 6 years that averaged a rank of 12.5, and even last year they were ranked #10 with 10 recruits in the Top 250. Although they have hit a few key 5* kids over the past several years.

I agree that more quality players associate with a more successful team, however, it's not as easy as these silly rankings make it seem to identify high end prospects. For example in this 2020 class, unranked Tre Vez Johnson might prove to be better than or equal to at least, most of the top 100/150/250 kids on any service.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    All the recruiting services have a different emphasis and bias built into them. Scout used to be a service that would emphasize size of class too much versus quality. ESPN has always seemed more positive on Florida talent than other services. None of them take into account filling needs for a team. For example, LSU has an incredible class, but if they strike out on Dumervil and don't sign another OL, they are setting themselves up for a hole at OL in the future, having only one OL commit this year (while having something like 10 DL--and no DL like to move over to OL). I have preferred Rivals and 247 over the others.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007