Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rivals and Recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 5, 2018.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought it would interest you guys in what some of our rivals are doing. I hope you enjoy.

Our Rivals (some of them)

LSU: The tigers got a commit from Trey Walker who had UF in his top 5. I never had Walker in the UF class but when a 4* WR has UF in the top 5, it is worth a mention.

I had not spoken with my LSU friend in some time but he did tell me a couple of things you all may find interesting.

Tiger fans are happy about recruiting but still not sold on the Big O as a coach. LH (my Lsu friend) said that most of the boosters he talks with are just waiting for CEO to have a bad year so they can bring a good coach in. They do like his recruiting and LH said they are hoping for the next staff to have plenty of talent to work with.

Secondly, Kardel Thomas, the so called face of the Tiger class had a great visit to fsu. Thomas had glowing remarks about the visit and said he will return to Tallahassee. This has alarmed Tiger fans who were not expecting Thomas to being so “wishy washy”. LH was worried but agreed with me that Thomas is either seeking attention or feeling taken for granted by the staff.

LSU has 2-5* and 9-4* guys right now and could add 5* Sopsher. The downside is they were expecting to get John Emery who went to the Dogs, now they are concerned about Thomas and are worried Marcus Brooks , a 4* lb will flip.

Last thing on lsu: LH told me that people are convinced that UGA is pulling an Ole Miss. I told him I had already heard Michigan and Penn State people are quite upset concerning a UGA recruiting dating back to last year. Hmmm, the Dogs are making a lot of enemies.

UT: As both schools have first year coaches working on their second signing classes CDM and CJP will inevitably be compared in recruiting and in the product on the field. Before I address Vols recruiting, consider their schedule and how it could affect those considering UT or going elsewhere. UT opens with W. Virginia. Then has two very winnable games against ETSU and UTEP. They then host UF, go to Athens and Auburn, host Bama, then travel to face the Cocks. It is conceivable, no probable that they are at that point a 5 or more loss team. Just something to watch.

Recruits of note: Warren Burrell who had UF in his final 3. Brian Maurer, a 3* QB out of Florida. A 5* Offensive lineman named Wayna Morris. They are a head of UF rankings wise primarily due to having 18 commits. As they will not be able to add much more to their class, I predict UF will pass them up. UT has 3-3*DL and 2-Juco DL also rated 3*. Now I could be wrong but I sense that UT has very little momentum going on. They have 4 spots left and had counted on getting Kris Bogle. That pipe dream has went up in smoke and so now they are counting on a big Game day experience with the Mighty Gators coming to town. At least 20 visitors are scheduled for the UT/UF game and they hope to pull 4 from that week end. They will get their four but will they get the four they want? I say no.

This is getting long so I will cover another couple of schools later this week.

Candy

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. minnesotagator

minnesotagator Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    Too far north
    20 visitors to see another UT loss at the hands of the good guys and show the recruits what their next 4 years will be like so all the higher ranked recruits can decide to go elsewhere...

I’m here for it. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    :rolleyes:

I guess when they start accusing you of cheating you know you must be doing something right.

I can understand LSU's concerns. They are not used to losing in state guys that they want. But they can only be mediocre for so long before the players in their state start to take notice and look for other options. And we just won the conference, played in the national championship game and operate in a talent rich state. But sure.....just like Ole Miss.

Someone from Penn State and Michigan complaining about us would be rich though. We are 1-1 against Michigan in recruiting battles the last two years (we got Otis Reese, they got Aubrey Solomon). We were also 1-1 against Penn State last year (we got Justin Fields, they got Micah Parsons). On the latter I would hardly even count Fields as a battle with Penn State because once he blew up his junior year and in the camp circuit heading into his senior year he had far more options available than when he originally committed and in the end he was looking at southern schools almost exclusively.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    South Carolina added transfer Jamel Cook dB from So Cal. He was a 4 star recruit from Miami.. he will not play this season and will count towards the 2019 class

5. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Thanks for the Info Candy.

Regarding having 20 commits and lose, even if you lose badly, it's easy to say to the Highly Ranked Ones: "We need you to help us Get Back on Top." That approach appears to sell quite well.

If Georgia isn't Cheating like Dawgs, I'll be extremely surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Its funny that Harry mentioned Otis Reese. The guy who gave me this info claims (I have no first hand knowledge) that a UGA bagman bought off the family and that Reese is miserable in Athens. He claims to know the family and they and Otis are upset that he was lied to. Apparently Otis was told he would not be moved to Linebacker and the staff is/has moved him. Parsons IMO was not going to go to UGA but I don't know what UGA did to get UPS fans upset. I'm sure some of them feel Fields was bought off. Thing is for UGA is the list of people making these claims is getting longer and longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    I’m not sure if you are peddling what comes across as message board fodder because you know it is red meat to Florida fans, but Reese has been working at S this fall. A simple glance at one of the recent practice reports (one from the practice Saturday that was fully open to the public) would be enough to figure that out.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    NM

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018