Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rivals and Recruiting 2.0

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 6, 2018.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope you are enjoying the glimpses into other programs. Todays two are two that very seldom go head to head with UF for recruits so it may not have a lot of familiar names.

Rivals Recruiting 2.0

Texas Aggies: New coach Jimbo Fisher left the dregs of Tallahassee for many reasons. I won’t elaborate on them much as you know many of the reasons for him leaving. I will say that it was time for Jimmy to seek another opportunity as he was losing control at fsu. My personal opinion is that TA&M is a very good opportunity for any coach.

The upside: Great facilities, Great fan base, talent rich recruiting grounds. Deep pocketed resources.

The downside: Brutal West Division schedule. Jimmy could do very well and never win anything. Unrealistic expectations. Potentially inpatient administration and even a more inpatient fanbase.

Schedule: The Aggies have 7 home games. 3 potential cupcakes, Clemson, UK, Rebs, LSU. They also play the Hogs in Arlington. On the road will be the key to their season. Bama, Cocks, MS Bulldogs, Auburn.

Recruiting: The Aggies finished composite #17 in Fishers 2018 class. They sit at #3 in the Rivals 2019 rankings with 1-5*, 12-4* and 10-3* with 24 commits thus far. I do however think they will drop a bit as other classes add to their totals.

Commits of note: Kenyon Green 5* OL, Brian Williams high 4* DB.

Preseason Ranking: Like UF, the Aggies are not in the top 25. They will play at least 5 teams ranked higher and the Cocks @ Columbia. If chalk holds, the Aggies are looking at 5-6 losses. Aggie fans, much like UF fans are hoping that better coaching will result in better than expected results. Problem is, I don’t think they have the talent to do better than 7-5.

UK: UF’s whipping boy for, I lost count on how many years. You figure that soon or later the odds say they will spring the upset. I just don’t think it’s this year. In fact, last year may have been the window for several years. UK’s problem is never going to go away. They are a basketball school in a state with limited FB talent that does not appeal to top ranked out of state recruits. Secondly, any coach who has some success will be hired away to a better program and the cycle begins again.

Recruiting: UK sits at 15 commits and a 41NR, 12 SEC with little hope of climbing much higher. There are very few if any head to head battles for recruits with UF that I’m aware of. UK has zero 4* or 5* on board as of now. Stoops can stay until some AD thinks he can do better and pull the plug.

Nostalgia: I was up in Lexington when Mumme had the faithful excited. It was a warm day and fans were being given Hal Mumme fans with his picture on the front. I forget the final score but as the group I was with left, my best friend and I turned our fans into Mumme mask complete with eye holes. We even got a few laughs from UK fans on that one. Here is an ole by the way, Hal is currently the OC for Jackson State.

Wins and Losses: UK has a friendly schedule this year. They play the East teams and match up well with most of them. The keys will be winning some toss up games and playing well on the road @UT and @TA&M. My prediction is 7-5 at best and 5-7 at worst with that schedule. UK did show they could run the ball last year so there is that going for them.

Candy

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    -Jimbo Fisher can flat out recruit, and it's quite amazing - since he's a little weasly pr*ck!

A&M just picked up another blue-chip 4-star WR Dylan Wright, a 6'4 210lb kid from Texas. He's their 25th commitment and they are ranked 3rd overall in the country (and SEC, behind UGA & Alabama). Fisher said after his first class (ranked 17th) that "we WILL have a top 5 class next year". He's proving prophetic (so far).

- The rich get richer? 2018 5-star LB Ale Kaho, from Reno, NV, signed w/ Washington and enrolled in June. He has asked for, and been given, his release and is looking for another school. He previously had committed to BYU before signing w/ Washington. It is being speculated that he's looking to transfer to Alabama. WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder how much Bama offered to pay because he sure as hell isn't transferring because they have no depth or weak competition at LB. It's strange to me that some of the guys we lose are clearly looking at depth chart and staying away, while this 5 star seems like he's not afraid of competition or riding the bench behind another 5 star guy. It's not like other schools don't offer a path to the NFL or a chance for championships...while having a favorable depth chart. So the question remains, how much money do these guys get on top of the free Dodge Charger?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    When players go to bama it’s highly likely they are getting a ring or maybe two. Depth chart on other teams may be more of a factor. Then there’s also the shady stuff

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    And their Mom is getting a house and car in their new job, like Trent Richardson’s Mom did

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Saban sits back and benefits for what the boosters do. I have a friend who is a big Bama fan. Not a booster or money guy-just a fan. Bama in his eyes can never do anything wrong. If you bring anything up that is questionable you are just jealous of their success. Did I mention he is stupid. If not take my word he is one of the most ignorant people I know on the face of the earth.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You need a friend upgrade, Candyman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I only know a handful of gump fans, but they're all 100% like that.

9. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Put aside the sports side of this for a second. It's pretty awful that you would talk about a legitimate friend like this (especially behind his back) to a bunch of anonymous online strangers. Friends are supposed to have each other's backs, not stab them in it when they aren't around.

But to bring sports back in, people want to believe the best in the teams they follow. Your friend does it for Alabama. I'm sure most here do the same for Florida. The hard reality is that all teams, to varying degrees, break the rules when it comes to recruiting players. There is no school that is a paragon of virtue when it comes to this issue, mine included. Do some schools "cheat more"? Sure. But cheating to a somewhat lesser degree doesn't make it any less cheating. It's a binary thing. And if we accept we all do it in some form or another and stop spending so much time fixating on pinning our shortcomings to what other schools are doing, we'll all be much happier following a sport that is supposed to be fun.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Hairy...
    Truly appreciate your comments regarding this issue.... and I agree 98% of what you have said.
    We all know that just about every college out there bend or even break the rules to one extent or another.
    However, all of us know and I repeat all of us know that Alabama has pushed or broken the rules to the extreme for close to four decades now.
    New cars, or even a new home for the top running back's mother has become commonplace in Tuscaloosa.
    They have become the media's darling and the sacred cow of the SEC.

11. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Candy, I too was at that 1997 game in Lexington. Yes, the UK fans were all jacked up about the Air Raid offense (Mike Leach was OC) and had their Mumme face fans. They were just sure they were gonna take it to the Gators that day. Well, Spurrier and the Gators ripped them a new one. It was 28-0 after the first quarter, game over. Final was 55-28.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    we had a great time and did you look the score up or just remember it for some reason. I had probably forgot the score after a few drinks later that night.

13. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    In regards to my friend who is a Bama fan, I didn't post anything I haven't said to him. We go back and forth and FB is the only sport he can spout off about. He used to be a big Bama Softball fan until we started beating them on a regular basis. Now he says he doesn't care about softball.
    I suspect you targeted me for bringing up the Otis Reese story and UGA cheating and that's ok. I posted I had no first hand knowledge and was only repeating what is out there. So yeah, maybe everybody breaks the rules some and then there are those who make it an art form. I suspect Kirby learned a lot while at Bama and is using the same methods. If that bothers you, I make no apologies for it. BTW, I have some other friends I believe to be stupid also.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    I well remembered the 28-0 first quarter and hanging 50 but did look up the exact final.

15. Eggy21

Eggy21 GC Legend

Dec 8, 2010
    Westerly, RI
    So that kid who got his release from UW "to be close to home" ended up at Bama? Yeah, that's got Tosh Lupoi's shady ass fingers all over it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, Its funny how these things just somehow happen for Bama.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    It's unbelievable. The kid is from Nevada and he was already enrolled at UW. The rich get richer. It's disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Damn if he is your friend, I'd hate to hear about your enemies!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    f--en Spurrier. How fun were those days?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area

"Buddy" is only half a word!

• Agree Agree x 1