Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rivals and National Recruiting News

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorplank, Apr 14, 2018.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’m the one who said the bagman stuff was BS . Wish you would understand reference points I make Ghost. Damn. COE does make a difference but not totally I get that.
    Let me ask you with the players that are being recruited in the power 5, What is more important ...Cost of Attendance stipend or the quality of the university academic rankings?

2. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    It probably depends on the kid. But I get it, but an extra $150/month isn't going to make a kid drive from Tampa to Tuscaloosa vs. Gainesville. They still get $5500 from the Pell Grant (most do), so they aren't going to uproot and make their families travel 400+ extra miles to come see them play for $150/month.

Basically: I'm tired of excuses. We heard it all through the McElwain years, "He needs 10 years to 'build relationships'!!" If that was the case, why don't we have a single Mississippi recruit committed?

At some point you call a spade a spade. The Florida 'brand' is severely tarnished and there's a laundry list of excuses/reasons.....and COA is one of them, but it's not in the top 10.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I am agreement with a lot you have posted. Yes the brand is not even close. I think as a fan base we really don’t feel it . I know I’m much more reserved in my enthusiasm. I hate Georgia more than anybody on this board and I can’t take it that they just reel them in. I know the elements they have working for them. Much better than our advantages.
    Their kids grow up wanting to be bull dogs . Ours want to be everywhere.PlusGeorgia HS football is really good

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Georgia and Lsu have built in advantages when it comes to recruiting. They are not excuses but just the reality of it. The UF brand s tarnished and is not thought of as the cool school instate. That can be changed but not overnight. Winning is paramount to UF bringing in a to 10 class each year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Our own players are tarnishing our reputation every summer. Can’t make program look safe and orderly to parents with all that has been in the news the last few years

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    Georgia lands another 5⭐️ today, John Emery, RB from Louisiana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Junior

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    Teaching Middle School only 25 minutes outside of Gainesville and I can tell you the Gators are not very popular among the 12 to 15 year old boys at our school. I am a very positive person and I like the Mullen hire but we are getting beat badly this recruiting period and quite frankly for quite awhile. The it's still early excuse looks differently now with the early signing period. I feel we needed 3 to 4 commits from FNL for 2019 guys just to get some momentum. Last year we got 3 although only one of them stuck it still to me was successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    That perception sounds a lot like the late 1980s when my youngest brother was in middle school & he told me of how the Gators fell to a distant third in state popularity much to my astonishment. What a shame that seems to be repeating again. At the time, UF was just coming off probation, the team was no longer finishing in the top 10/top 20 anymore and the Gators were still slowly rebuilding the depth chart before their great run of the 1990s.

To turn around that perception, Florida needs to start playing exciting football again while also winning big at the same time!

This will be a critical season for Florida and Dan Mullen. I still believe that the previous coach kept the cupboard somewhat stocked. Now, you just have to go coach them up and play some real Florida football again!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Kirby is killing us right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Destroying us. Just wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GATORDONE

GATORDONE GC Hall of Fame

May 27, 2007
    Blame foley... said for years he totally screwed us and please stop with the sec sports trophy’s and a great lacrossee team....over it

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 3, 2015
    The bagmen are pretty busy in Athens, that's for damn sure!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    Kirby isn't just destroying us. He's destroying everyone. No doubt he'll have a roster to rip off multiple national championships in 2019 and 2020. At this point we just have to hope he is a crappy field coach.

14. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    I have a big problem with what you just said.... you do not hate Georgia more than I do. :D :DI was in the stadium when Lindsay Scott scored. It scarred my childhood and even to this day I think we are going to lose to Georgia regardless of the time and score - even during the Spurrier years. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Alas we all have burdens in life to carry.

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

15. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    We are ranked number 42 on Rivals meanwhile Georgia is up to number 4. I would say we are getting are teeth kicked in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    There should be no excuses. We are just getting out recruited plain and simple. We don't have closers. Look a Jimbo Fisher and staff. They are KILLING IT

17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I was not only in the Stadium I was deep into Brother Jack D

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    Count Jimbo's 3 stars. They've pretty much got a whole class committed, and they have a lot of 3 star players. Not saying that validates how we are doing, but a lot of teams are going to jump A&M because they have nine 3 stars in their class.

FWIW...I think these teams are in a position to finish ahead of Jimbo right now:

Georgia
    Bama
    Oregon
    Oklahoma
    FSU
    Texas
    Notre Dame
    Penn State

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  19. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Unfortunately I was 15 and with my dad in the stadium. Maybe he was deep in the Jack but I wasn't quite old enough yet. :cool:

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

20. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    UGA also got 2 other 4-star commitments today.

• Funny Funny x 1