Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Jun 8, 2018.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ssplasma

ssplasma Premium Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He was the coolest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. beachpiratefla

beachpiratefla Resident Pirate VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fernandina Beach
    Wow just unbeleiable

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Heartbreaking. Bright man who taught so much about other cultures....especially to be open and not to fear.

5. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Dayum, one of my favorites!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

I love Bourdain so much. Love his views on food and culture. He always treated cultures and foods with the utmost respect, something that a lot of other travel-food personalities don't do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    I didn't care for his shows and found his personality grating; however, that doesn't make his passing any less tragic. He was quite talented and had a great following - it is always a shame to lose someone so popular for reasons no one will ever truly understand.

I have dealt with mental health issues since I was young and the only reason I am here is that my wife insisted I get help - and it is working.

If you or yours are suffering from such issues, please, PLEASE seek help - there are options that help you get through this day, and the next, and the next.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I was just telling my wife how much I love his "Parts Unknown" program. I found his personality smooth; was a great guy. RIP

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Definitely a shame and a loss.
    It's a shame that he turned away from his main forte' which was cooking, for the last 2 1/2-3 YEARS, and mainly resorted to
    travel, (where he rarely looked happy)

He WAS a very talented Chef.

R.I.P. Anthony

• Like Like x 1
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    he hung himself with the belt from a bathrobe

11. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I just don't get all of this suicide death stuff. I'm sorry for the guy, his followers and family. It's a crying shame. But Good Lord...people must be suffering much more than we ever know.

I just wish the people that want to kill others AND themselves would just kill themselves first...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Juggernautz

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Do you give lessons?

J/J

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Couldn't disagree more. Cooking shows are a dime a dozen. With Parts Unknown, Tony opened up a world few of us would ever see. The geography, the cultures and the people from those worlds and the way he connected with them was fascinating and heartwarming.

I was seriously broken up on Friday. Couldn't look at the internet all day. I suffer from depression myself and Sundays are often the hardest days for me. Tony was always one of the people I could count on to lift my spirits. It didn't matter where he was going, who he was with or what he would be eating, I saw the world as a better place at the end of that hour. I don't know what I'm going to do tonight. I might just cook.

• Like Like x 1
  14. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He really was. And the warmest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    As someone who has survived a suicide attempt, I don't know whether to laugh or be appalled. Since it came from you, I'll just try to laugh.

People are suffering and it's much more complicated than than we can imagine. Yes, people should get help but it's often people who are in therapy and taking meds who take their lives. It just wasn't enough and there was no one there at the time. You just can't imagine what happens in your mind when you hit bottom. It is like the worst physical pain you've ever felt combined with excruciating, unrelenting grief. There's no escaping it. You can't sleep, you can't eat, TV shows, books, movies, give you no pleasure. Your own brain convinces you that your family would be better off if you were gone.

There is something wrong with the world we're living in and the way we live our lives. It's at odds with our evolutionary psychology. Look at how much our world has changed. Our brains haven't changed in 10,000 years.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Strange...yeah, I was trying to be funny, if there is such a thing around suicide connected to mass killings. Not much of a laugher. Can someone considering mass killings be cured? Obviously, suicide is preventable-in many cases.

I lost a cousin to suicide. It was the meds thing. Bipolar and then she went off her meds. I wish they would create one of those long term transdern patches for those kinds of meds. As mentioned -huge problem with the meds is going off of them. I wonder what the suicide rate would be without the meds, because it sure is high after you forget to take them or decide not to!

I also think in the last 20 years we've become more accustomed to suicides, be-headings, mass shootings, baby killings ...and the regard for human life just doesn't appear to be like it used to be. I remember one girl in high school killed herself and one person jumped out of the dorm towers on UF campus way back when.

I know up at Cornell they had to put a cage around the bridge on one of those gorges up there because kids were jumping off that in Ithaca. This is extremely complicated stuff. Just recently, my daughter came home from school and was crying because some kid at school keeps saying she wants to kill herself and then another kid stepped in and told her to quit trying to get attention because he really is suicidal and is seeing a therapist...

These are kids that have a lot going for them, tons of pals, great parents and life seems good. Apparently not...

17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Bipolar is another thing entirely. When you're acutely depressed, you take your meds every day without an issue. The choice of drugs among people suffering from bipolar disorder is no drugs at all. The cycling between the manic faze and the depressive phase is often rapid and that is when they get into the most trouble. What we often see with celebrities is their last manic phase, life of the party, witty quotes on twitter followed by the horrible news.

I almost wish I could be bipolar. What a blast it would be to become manic.

That's crazy what happens at Cornell. They've frequently had the highest suicide rates of any university.

I was very fortunate to send my daughter to BU. She had a crisis that she tried to keep to herself but a an observant professor reported some alarming tendencies, probably cutting and reported it to student health services. They were able to discover a friendship between her and a high school classmate and used her to initiate an intake and get her help. They kept an eye on her for the remainder of her time there.

18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Supposedly Anthony from the 70's. Looks like my older brother's prom picture. So sad for his family and loved ones. I am no stranger to tragedy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    He would easily be among the top ten celebs I would want to party with. Party on in Heaven, AB. :emoji_champagne_glass:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Juggernautz

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Tiny Tim in house!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1