Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RIP “The Swamp”

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Skink, Jun 24, 2020.

1. SwampKing1

SwampKing1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Have they started to "bull doze" the area east of the Swamp yet????

2. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    I took a day trip in January specifically to go to Salty dog because I had heard rumors of that building being changed into a dispensary. God I hope it doesn't.

3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I believe so.. It's been awhile since I've been up there..

4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Coincidentally, I’ve tossed about an idea to a restaurant friend of mine about attempting to open a restaurant in Gainesville based on the nostalgia of the restaurants that closed down, including getting the permission and recipe for the original skeeters big biscuits. Decorate the place with memorabilia from places like skeeters, joes deli, burrito brothers, cj’s, ashelys pub, Danny’s, etc. if it was a great place that closed - pay homage to it with the interior and or with menu items.

I figure business would be good during football season. Not sure about after football season but if the food and vibe is good should do well.

wasn’t a fan of any of the names we came up with..a great name would be a big help. Probably never gets done and not a good time with this pandemic but in a few years I’ll have a lot more free time so maybe.

anyone wants to toss a few names my way feel free.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SilverG

SilverG Recruit

Apr 8, 2007
    Please add Louis's Lunch burgers!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. davidpwrmc

davidpwrmc Freshman

Jul 4, 2010
    Southwest Florida
    That corner area where the Swamp restaurant has been located was originally known as the Renaissance Fair. At least, I know that it had that name in the 1970-1974 timeframe.

In looking around online, I found an old 1982 newspaper archive for The Independent Florida Alligator which had a reference to Renaissance Fair, so that name stuck at least till that year. When the name was finally dropped I have no idea.

A little to the east of that area was a small shopping area that had Alan’s Cubana at the back end. Right across the street from Alan’s was the Gator Groomer coin laundry.

I imagine most all of those are gone now.

I have only faint recollections of the Renaissance Fair area. I do recall a large old house that was converted to house a number of shops. There was a bicycle repair shop....there might have also been a head shop there too.

A long time ago in a galaxy not too far away.

- David (wish I’d taken some pics back then) PwrMc

7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    As of now the bike shop is still there. Just to the west was Cafe Gardens—patio seating, beer and sandwiches, etc. Popular with faculty, staff and grad students. My former neighbor owned it, but got worn out

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Doubt you'd get permission for anything with skeeters being that the family still operates a business and supposedly sells the same food.

Neat idea though. I'll eat there if you figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Just put some bread balls in your meat and cook it on a dirty ass flat top, lol. My Dad loved that place. Shame what happened to Mr. Pennisi's son there.

I prefer Mac's. I also liked the old in n out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That little bicycle shop
    buried in there. I remember their radio ads promoting “hand applied lube jobs”

11. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Waaat?! No more Balls?!??

12. SilverG

SilverG Recruit

Apr 8, 2007
    Louis Lunch was the first burger place in town, 1928, when hamburgers were a new thing! Louis lived to 106......they must be OK.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Don't think so. The last time I drove by, I didn't see the sign, so I think they must be gone too.

14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Had some great memories there, and that building was awesome. Sad to see it go. The Caribbean Students Association used to rent it out and throw some crazy dancehall reggae parties there. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    I might be wrong but when i visited in January, Balls was still there.

16. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Cool history.
    But burgers?
    O - Ver- Ray - ted!!

17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Ralph’s Burgers in Gainesville was a hidden gem with Burgers, Tater Tots and Shakes. Little place near the Hospital. Best I ever had. Was around in the mid 80s time period.