Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Richardson to play (or start) next week???

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ShadowCat, Sep 4, 2021.

1. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    We’ve already had the first sophomore to win the heisman. Might as well have the first back up to win it.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The argument to retain EJ has the starter would be significantly stronger if it weren't for turnovers. Without his INTs, he's been adequate though not meeting expectations.

His turnovers though, have been really bad, and is fortunate he does not have more.

If I had to take a guess Mullen is looking for a breaking point moment where if EJ is supplanted it cannot be politicized (football wise) that he made the switch. This will probably require EJ turning the ball over in a high leverage point of a game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We are well beyond that point. We are at the point that people are questioning Mullens sanity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Mullen just playing possum. Bama in for a rude awakening.

5. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    When did he ever do that?

6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    After digesting the article, I believe this even more now. Fall practice reports alluded to it several times, AR was significantly outplaying EJ, even while getting less time with the first unit. EJ is really the de facto starter because he’s had no competition, because they missed on having a quality 3rd year QB on the roster. He might’ve already been gone had there been someone else considered better or even equal. Dan headed this off last year by inserting him into games to give him a role, to pacify and keep him in the fold. Fear of the portal basically. It was awkward at times, messed up the flow, and took quality snaps away from the gunslinger Trask, imho.

Fast forward to this year. The schedule opened up with 2 bad P5 teams before Bama comes to town. Should’ve used the first 2 games to get AR ready, not EJ, imho. He is clearly without a shadow of doubt THE guy. Bama has zero fear of EJ, they absolutely fear what AR can do, even though he’s only played a handful of plays in both games.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    If Dan was the coach of Clemson in 2018, He would have started Kelly Bryant at QB all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    I think if Dan stays with Emory and AR leaves the program it will cost Mullen his job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    When he answers questions about ants big plays with always referring to the mistakes he made. I don’t mind it totally if it’s aim is to keep the kids head on straight but it would be easier to swallow if he weren’t also limiting his playing time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    Yeah I think we may see Mullen pull a Kirby Smart, and screw this up big time

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    0 chance even Dan pushes his luck that far

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I have supported Dan 100 percent since we named him as our head coach, and continue to support him now. His recent actions have me scratching my head a lot (and I’m not alone). If he somehow botches up this AR thing to the point Richardson doesn’t finish his college career a Gator, I am not sure I can continue to support him. That’s how special a player AR is, IMO.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. g8r925

g8r925 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 10, 2009
    Immokalee,fla
    And I agree with you 100%. This kid is special, and if Dan is so stubborn and loyal to a fault that this kid goes elsewhere I think he’ll lose the fanbase and the locker room

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Interesting when media and fans were clamoring for info on how EJ was looking in practice DM made sure to talk about AR.

now that we all see what’s going on during the games he’s trying to downplay AR.

DM is in a tough spot , it’s not like EJ is having a horrible season and he’s got a lot of tools it’s just AR is like nothing we’ve ever seen at QB and that’s our comparison to EJ (I never saw Tebow house 80+ yard runs by outrunning secondary)

15. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Any chance AR is hurt/ruled out “either way?” Kind of a convenient solution to his problem

Or …doubtful but AR could “miraculously” come on the field if EJ gets hurt or struggles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm reading and hearing a lot of the comparison between Trask/Franks and Richardson Jones.

They are separate and different. People who hitched their wagons to Trask and came back to say "I told you so" are full of it. There was nothing on tape or what we saw on the field to lead anyone to believe Trask would ascend where he ended up. If you predicted that type of ascension by Trask I will call you a liar.

We are seeing Richardson ascend in real time. Mullen has to make the right call for the good of the program. The longer he starts EJ (when Richardson is healthy) the more rumblings and potential boos rain in when EJ makes a poor play. That should be avoided and can be if Mullen makes the right decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators All American

Apr 3, 2007
    This is how I see it playing out...

Emory is about to become the sacrificial lamb.

We are a 16pt dog vs Bama -- Emory starts and AR is limited b/c of his hamstring (this is probably good for AR to keep his confidence sky high). Mullen is going to call a conservative game to keep Emory out of trouble but it won't produce a W.

AR will get more game reps vs UT and UK and will win the starting job after the Vandy game ... just in time for LSU on the road.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    This is exactly correct. Why not let Emory show himself that he is not the best choice on the field and has been given every opportunity to prove otherwise. You have three games to do that. As it turns out it’s probably good to not have a sour grapes attitude guy starting the Alabama game if AR can’t go 100%. If people remember correctly, CDM said the exact same thing about Toney 2years ago.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    He’s not

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Pat Dooley says it's a strained calf:
    1. Last week, Gainesville and the Gator Nation were abuzz about a quarterback controversy. A week later, it is one louder as the great Nigel Tufnel said. There is no question that Florida has another unicorn in Anthony Richardson, a cross between Cam Newton and Jordan Reed (remember his year playing some quarterback?) It could lead to some ugly situations on Saturday, and I’m not talking only about on the field. I would hope that Gator fans in attendance would not boo a college player simply for running out on the field. But I have seen it before. Is it possible that Dan Mullen has a plan that includes both quarterbacks and he knows the roles they need to fill? Mullen said Saturday that Richardson still does some of the wrong things even though his playbook is limited. He needs both of the quarterbacks to have any chance against Alabama. The problem is that Richardson strained a calf against USF and we’ll see how that responds to treatment, but it’s not like Richardson will get more reps in practice with a bad leg.
    Pat Dooley’s ‘Back 9’ September 13th - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF