Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rex Grossman Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by big_slick, Oct 19, 2020.

1. big_slick

big_slick Junior

May 15, 2020
    I will be brief. I believe, before he played his final season for Zook and zaunbrecher with the dreadful bubble screen offense, that Rex Grossman may have been the best QB to ever suit em up for the Gators. He was an absolute natural in Spurriers offense with his quick release only bested by his quick mind. He dominated teams like LSU and Auburn and Georgia early in his career and posted gaudy numbers. He was brash, maybe cocky....a gunslinger at 6’1”, maybe.

He may have been all State Indiana, but if I’m not mistaken he was not on our radar until he sent his tape to SOS, who then offered him. We already had the number one recruit in the country, Brock Berlin coming in. Rex outplayed them all, and Brock Berlin became a distant afterthought and then a transfer to scUM and then an enemy. Berlin couldn’t pick up Spurriers offense, no more apparent than in Spurriers final game, the Orange Bowl against Maryland. Berlin started due to some suspension to Grossman and did little. Grossman came on and lit up the Terps.

I believe Grossman should have won the Heisman his soohomore year (Eric crouch?), and a Hurricane and rescheduled Tennessee game likely kept us out of the natty against maybe the best CFB team in history, the ‘01 Miami hurricanes.

I’m sure everyone has a great Rex party story, but he was a hell of a Qb with a great quick arm. Pretty good pro too.
    Hat tip Rex. Great Gator

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 19
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Rex was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    I always wished he would have won that Super Bowl and beat Manning. He was a great Gator. We had so many 300 yard passing games with him as our QB.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    Sexy Rexy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    He was special. Maybe a bit under appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I have a soft spot for sexy rexy

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ufmc84

ufmc84 Junior

Aug 13, 2017
    He should have a statue out front but he was screwed by the Heisman voters and their archaic upper classmen only voting. Happened to Larry Fitzgerald too. That award has been a joke to me ever since that season. I’ll add 2008 Tebow being left off ballots in Big12 country as more proof at how absurd Heisman voters have always been. I digress. Grossman being screwed began to expose the obnoxiousness of the voters.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  8. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I believe it was Grossman's sophomore year that he should have won it but one of the arguments against him was he was a sophomore and he would have been the first ever to win it, even though he was a redshirt sophomore.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That guy was such a stud. In all sports you can just tell from moment 1 when a kid is the goods and Rexxy was absolutely that , the goods. Still hurts a little that he was robbed of that heisman his soph year. Goes to my point about all recruiting and players , a guy can either ball or he can’t. That dude could most definitely do that

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. flgator79

flgator79 GC Legend

Jul 28, 2007
    Crouch winning over him was a joke

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Will always treasure Rexy and the Gators knocking off unbeaten UGA!
    I was there!! LOL

12. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    What posters are saying! But not the best UF QB ever. Hard for anyone to beat the 3 QBs that are the 3.

(If I have to name the 3, please turn in your UF cards at any door.)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. swamp tang

swamp tang Junior

Oct 13, 2017
    I think most agree with you, but is DEFINITELY on the Mt Rushmore for best arms.

He was the qb when i went to UF and bought a #8 jersey when his heisman campaign was going. Feel kinda bad I turned the jersey into a Percy freshman jersey now, lol.

14. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Sorry but a lot of posters on the board including me will choose that BLOODY 95 Nebraska team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ecogator

ecogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala
    Love Grossman and agree that the Heisman should be sitting in his mancave. However, to say that the 2001 Miami Hurricane team was better that the 1995 Nebraska squad is just wrong.

Some of the very old posters on this site like Uncle Nunzio may have examples of teams from the 40s or 50s that were better than the 95 Nebraska squad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I remember driving home after the UF vs. Auburn game, at The Swamp and Rex had thrown a threaded needle to Taylor Jacobs ( I think ) for a late TD.. Listening to the Gator radio postgame and Rex said, " I don't know how the hell I made that throw!"... "And in two weeks,...we're going to Jacksonville and we're gonna kick Georgia's ass!"...... :) Love some Rex........

GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    My favorite Rex TD

• Like Like x 4
  18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Drove down to Gainesville with Dad and stopped by UF in hopes to show his tape to Steve. Fortunately Steve Spurrier was there and agreed to sit down with them to watch his tape. The rest is history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    I remember the expression on Spurrier’s face when Rex went to the sideline after that incredible throw. Priceless.

• Like Like x 1
  20. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1