Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rewatching a movie a second time

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by ajoseph, Feb 24, 2019.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I just saw Deadpool 2 on TV this weekend. When I saw the movie in the theater, it was just ok, nothing close to the original. However, when I rewatched it, I loved it!!! I missed so much the first time. From the written wit in the opening credits to some. Awesome dialogue. It was so much funnier the second time (which is the complete opposite experience for me as I usually like moves far more in the theater). Also, I watched the credits this time, and Deadpool was great in the added scenes.

Anyone have a similar experience with a movie where you enjoyed it more the second time?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Big Lebowski

Fargo

Office Space

Pulp Fiction

Just to name a few.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    When I was younger, before video, I remember seeing Airplane several times in the theater, and finding new things to laugh at each time. That was a great rewatch movie.

Pulp Fiction and Office Space are great calls.

Now you have me thinking, and I’d like to add Godfathers 1 and 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Memento was like the ultimate rewatch movie for me. Takes 2 or 3 times to get a good grip on that one, and that's by design. One of the few movies that might actually be best if you watch it twice in a short period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    IMO a great movie improves on the re-watch.
    Godfather 1 and 2 are perfect examples. It took me 2-3 times to figure out what was going on. It just seemed like random violence the first time I watched it.

Chariots of Fire is another example- back to the 80s.

I also didn't understand Memento until I saw it twice.

O Brother Where Art Thou gets better the first 10 times you watch it. Brilliant. (Coen brothers movie.)

Many others...

• Like Like x 2
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    There are none I can recall that were transcendent. I do know there are movies that are quite mind blowing (for no other definition) and kind of nice the next times. I also know, like you, that you can enjoy a movie the next time(s) much more than the first.

I think there are two things in play. One is that you went in uneducated the first time whereas the remaining times you knew what was afoot and were more discerning. The other, although not every person's experience, is that you are watching the movie in a small format instead of the grandeur of the large screen. Not to change the subject, but I am always amazed at some actor whose work on TV is really good and when you see them on the big screen they look so small. The big screen actors don't seem to have that in reverse.

Anyways, many movies are better to digest on the small screen than a big one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007

One of my all-time favorites!

8. SwampVarmint

SwampVarmint Freshman

Apr 8, 2007
    The Sixth Sense (rewatch needed just to connect the dots)

• Like Like x 1
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The Big Short. At 13x

Goodfellas

Fargo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not a movie, but I've watched game of thrones twice all the way thru and enjoyed it much more the second time as I understood the details a lot better.

Off topic, but there are several movies I know Ive watched but recall little of the story line. Getting old I guess.

11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I enjoy "Falling Down" more every time I watch it because I will absolutely relate to the main character more than I did the time before.

12. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Many times when in line at some fast food joint I think of the Falling Down "I want breakfast" scene, and I think to myself....Bill Foster made some excellent points. I share his frustrations.

13. gatorjack

gatorjack johnl VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you re-watched a movie a 2nd time, doesn’t that make it the 3rd time you’ve seen it?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

I’m obviously a smart ass because that was the first thing that came to mind when I read that.

On a side note, I can’t think of any examples, but there have been several movies I had to watch a second time to truly understand and appreciate them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you sure you didn't just forget? Lol... j/k. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    There are just too many things going on in a great movie to get it all in one viewing. Love watching Wes Anderson movies over and over. He fills up the entire screen with cool props and production design. He also plays around with color correction and odd framing. His scores and soundtracks are some of the best. The tone of every film is so odd, you don't quite know how to respond. Sometimes I don't realize that something was supposed to be funny until the second or third viewing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think I've seen Repo Man 11 or 12 times, mostly with the same friend when we had lots of cocaine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I have Lebowski, Fargo (duh), Animal House, Pulp Fiction and the American Pie series on my annual list.