Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Report - We removed a key spy in Russia out of fear Trump would accidentally reveal him

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 9, 2019.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    More 'if true' crack journalism we've come to expect from the lib media.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Can we edit the thread title to read "fake news"?

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And why would that be since the current title is largely accurate? If you're going to reply, please be specific.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JG8tor

JG8tor Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Not that you shouldn't take anything the CIA tells you at full face value as the complete and unbiased truth, but I wonder. They had been watching the multiple and repeated contacts between the Trump campaign and Russian operatives and tried to get their asset out of Russia "weeks" before Trump took office. IOW before Trump could get hold of the CIA's spy roster and spill the beans - accidentally or intentionally.

The only way "media reporting on Russian election interference" could jeopardize a CIA asset is if the reporting was accurate and detailed enough for the Russians to figure out the source. If some are going to insist that the media was just making crap up and that Russian interference was a joke, what do they make of the CIA's reasoning here?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Maybe there's an experiment going on with the real powers of the world to see what would happen if the USA became an authoritarian govt. The three major powers would then all be authoritarian govts. I'm not saying this is so but I have wondered about it from time to time since Trump got elected and his actions since then. BTW, I don't think the main powers of this world are govts, rather those who control the money/wealth in the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    It was before he took office but was it before the election? It don't see this information in anything I've read, but I haven't read a lot about this subject.

8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    That never occurred to me. I suddenly don't feel so good.

9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Just because the asset is out of Russia doesn't mean he's safe. He should probably carry a geiger counter around with him for the rest of his life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Now that another lefty BS “news” report has been debunked in less than one day, I’m guessing that Trickster and PIT REALLY don’t think my joke about email #32,995 was funny. Sorry boys! It looks like age tops foolish every day!

11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    Who debunked what?

12. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Senior

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    So you personally vetted those emails and can attest to the quantity? You know absolutely zip about that (as do I).

13. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    This story. It fell apart faster than Taggart’s defense on opening day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    I love your simile, but I've read nothing to suggest the story was "fake". I don't like erroneous news reports any more than you do, but I have read nothing saying the CNN report was in error. Maybe I just missed it, and you haven't provided a link. CNN is usually accurate factually, though it is admittedly partisan in its interpretation of those facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007

The Washington Examiner definitely leans right, but note that their sources for this are NYT and WaPo articles.

Looks like CNN has botched another major Russia 'scoop'

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What?!?! He was extracted from Russia, but not out of fear that Trump would accidentally reveal him. Thus the current thread title is accurate only in the sense that he was extracted, but not for the reason stated in the title.

That makes the thread title inaccurate. Is that specific enough for you?

Funny, last night PBS did a segment on this situation, yapping about how they were interested in what he would reveal about Russian interference in the 2016 election. It is pure speculation on their part that he knows anything at all about that, but it didn't stop them from flogging that same rancid story. Ha ha ha.

17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks. Very interesting. I do wonder about this statement at the end: “considering the national press’ unflattering track record of covering Russia in the Trump era”. What do you suppose that means? When I was in the military in the 60’s, they were our mortal enemy. Nothing’s changed to alter my view of them. Indeed, their election interference was tantamount to a declaration of war.

18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I agree. My problem with the issue now is the way that it has been politicized.

We have never been able to fully trust them yet have had to cooperate with them at many times against common adversaries or issues.

They have tried to interfere in every election since the 50's, and we should have expected it again in 2016. The only difference this time was that they figured a fairly clever way to manipulate social media and we figured out what they were doing. They and others will try again in 2020. For our part, we have interfered in many foreign elections so there really should be no moral outrage.

Romney was roundly ridiculed by Obama and the Democratic Party in 2012 for identifying Russia as a major concern. He was and still is correct. Many of the same people squealing about election interference are the same ones ridiculing Romney 2012.

I am very familiar with US intelligence gathering capabilities as I have worked on many programs that supplied equipment to the USG. That is why I believe the Mueller investigation was a total scam. They had a very weak case or possibly none at all to obtain a FISA warrant ( different topic). But however they got it, once they had it the CIA knew that there was no conspiracy between the Trump and Russia. It should have been over right then and there. To continue surveilling US citizens and political opponents should be considered sedition at a minimum and treason at a maximum. There was never a need for an investigation as all of the facts were already known.

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Stated in numerous times before, Romney was right, Obama was wrong which raises the question, why is Donald Trump acting as if the 2012 version of Barack Obama was right? Maybe it's because he's trying to reverse the decisions of the 2014 version of Obama, the Obama who imposed sanctions on Russia, or maybe he's in Vladmir Putin's pocket.

One more point, when the CIA originally tried to extract the agent from Russia in 2016 he declined. They extracted him in 2017. Apparently something changed between the first attempt and his actual extraction.

20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I’m sure that what changed was the spotlight being put on the issue by the press. Also, I’m sure that the second attempt was many weeks before the extraction. They had to set the stage to get the asset out without a lot of attention. To implicate Trump as the main reason for this is disingenuous at best.