Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Report: Texas, Oklahoma Reach Out to SEC about Joining

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator Mike, Jul 21, 2021 at 4:11 PM.

1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    TAMU AD tweeted a response basically right after the article posted, from the TAMU beat writer at Houston Chronicle, so yeah the word is they leaked to get ahead of it and make it known it's a non-starter. Inviting Texas to have the same "SEC" recruiting leverage within that state will make things harder for them.

2. AUTigerGrad

AUTigerGrad GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'd guess it would be the top 2 conference records in a 4 pod system.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. AUTigerGrad

AUTigerGrad GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Both AU and bammer fit much more in the East with our historical rivals in Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. You move Mizzou over and add AU and UA to the East and you solve the majority of your scheduling/rivalry games.

Biggest impact would be the removal of the LSU game annually for both but to be honest...LSU wasn't a yearly thing for AU until 92 when Arky and Carolina joined anyway. I'd rather have the AU UT and AU UF games back yearly anyway than keep LSU.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Best 2 records with tiebreakers for any weirdness.

You could also divide the pods into 2 groups and the best from each group plays, but IMO you'll end up with the same weirdness we get now some years (mediocre team from one side goes to be killed by the other).

You could also just say 2 best teams from different pods so that there's less likelihood the teams have already played that season.

Remember we didn't even have a championship game before until 92, and it was really just whoever had the best record. You could end up with teams playing twice per season but right now we have some teams that don't see each other more than once every 6 years. This kills that.

5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Another impact is this would essentially kill the Big 12 which would remove a conference champion from the bye equation for the 12 team playoff

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I think you have a Semifinal and a Final. You have an SEC playoff. It would be terrific!!!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
  7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

That Arkansas pod would be fascinating. I was up in Fayetteville for baseball a couple months back and they believe their recruiting is harder because they don’t play where they recruit. So getting to play Texas and OU again would help them gain more visibility in their recruiting grounds.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Color me completely UN-surprised...other than it took this long.

9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not with a 12 team playoff. The two SECCG participants would be worn out before the CFP playoff begins. I'd rather have division winners and no SECCG.

10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    And the game used to be about amateur sport, physical exercise, family fun and school spirit.

Now it's about Corporate Hogs feeding at the trough..............UGH

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    Vandy, I assume, has no interest in competing in an SEC that has abandoned the amature model for athletics; I assume they have already talked to Wake Forest, Duke, and likely NC State and Georgia Tech about what they want to do with their athletic program going forward.

Texas and Oklahoma can afford a payroll to compete in the SEC once they have shed the trappings of amature athletics. I think the rest of the Big 12 will struggle to do so. From that point of view the move makes sense.

Rather than see the SEC subdivide or something like that, I think that you will see the teams that want to make the transition to the pro model divide up nationally. Like you will have four to six divisions composed from the teams from the power 5 conferences that want to make the change to the pro model divided based on regions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Sophomore

Aug 21, 2009
    Florida
    Two teams with best record overall

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    If this means 9 conference games, it will be interesting to see what out of conference games would be dropped. I'm sure that the contracts have something written about a conference game mandate.

14. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    There will always be a conference title game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I know that this will be an anathema to many here, but if this comes to pass, I hope that UF will choose not to transition to the "pro" model. I also hope that those that do will immediately be required to pay a substantial UBI tax to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I never understood that footprint/TV market logic. For starters, if that's the logic then we need to kick one of Aub/Bama, Tenn/Vandy and Miss/Miss St.
    On top of that, that same logic of expanding into a footprint that you don't have would suggest that adding N. Texas is just as good as adding Texas AM. Bottom line is even with Tx AM on board, there are still a lot of eyeballs in Texas to watch the longhorns. Just because the SEC has a team in Texas doesn't mean everyone in Texas is watching them. Still more ratings to capture.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    One non-negotiable fact would be that the Longhorn Network would have to go the way of the dodo. They need to be treated like every other team. That was the reason for the implosion a while back of the Big 12 anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As long as we do NOT adopt a freaking POD system, the dumbest system of all... And just add Auburn to the East, Then we can let the other two go to the west where they belong. 16 teams, and still an east/west divided conference... screw the pod system.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    NO FREAKING PODS...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    To simple Rick, it will be overthought and screwed up I'm sure.

• Winner Winner x 2