Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Report: Texas, Oklahoma Reach Out to SEC about Joining

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator Mike, Jul 21, 2021.

1. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

You'd think forward thinking and a complete overhaul would be in order with this move, but it won't be the case. Bammer will push the agenda and 'tradition' will supplant logic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Again, this is the NASCAR model. You have to recognize that it is NOT your father's (or grandfather's) league. Money becomes the only driving force, not allegiances. King Richard is an outlier in the league he made popular. It is what it is.

3. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    4 pods of 4 teams like other posters had said. You play the other 3 teams in your division every year and everyone in your division plays the same 4 teams from one other division on a rotating per year basis. No permanent crossover games creates a fair schedule among all teams in your division with a 7 game SEC schedule. If teams want to schedule a permanent cross division opponent, they can but it won’t count towards SEC record until it’s the year all teams in your division play then. Your team would play every team in the SEC at least every 3 years.

You could also go to an 11 game SEC schedule and play every team at least every 2 years but that would be pretty rough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If there is one thing I sincerely hope is implemented, it's the idea that only your division games count toward a teams SEC standing (be it 2 divisions or 4 groups with common opponents).

SOS floated this idea a few times and it just makes even more sense with a 12 team playoff on the horizon and a 16 team league.

5. AUTigerGrad

AUTigerGrad GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Unless you expand to 9 or 10 conference games a year....4 team pod system is the only one that makes sense. Otherwise...you're looking at a decade between games against some teams potentially. Hell...we went 8 years between Auburn UF games in the current system which is completely stupid.

If you play your 4 team pod, then rotate between the other 3 pods...you play every team in a 16 conference by season 3. That's the best possible solution when you are dealing with these super sized conferences.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think this isn't just about increasing revenue in the short term, but hedging against decreased revenue in the long term. As attendance continues to decline, and even viewership numbers fluctuate, the strongest conferences not only have the greatest bargaining power, they add increased layers of stability and protection against a future with potentially volatile markets.

And provided the superconference model takes over, I think Tx and OU would benefit the SEC across all the sports, not just football. Both run quality athletic departments from top to bottom.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I just don't see texas being happy being just another big fish in a big pond. They wont be able to throw their weight around like they do now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

This is a large part of why UTx and OU are working lockstep and willing to burn bridges and litigate over this scheme. A 16 team SEC with these two would be the most well insulated from the changes in NCAA, CFP, television vs streaming, and interest level changes that are on the horizon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Landscape is changing and they aren't in a favorable spot. Better to be a strong presence in a group of top programs than the undisputed captain of a sinking ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Here is a visual of how it could work:

IMO, I know this might be bad for CFB as a whole but SEC football would be a wild distance ahead of the rest of the country in terms of interest and watchability. I could see 1 team per pod making the playoffs every season (assuming expansion to 12 teams). This would be a money printing machine, and IMO would raise the quality of football vs. what we see today. The only thing we lose is UT every season...but would be worth it. Overall it:
    - Protects Iron Bowl
    - Protects UT-Bama
    - Protects Cocktail party
    - Loses Auburn-UGA, that could be a big deal
    - Keeps TAMU happy by distancing from Texas (rumor is that TAMU is the one that leaked this because they're pissed)
    - Last POD is basically a SWAC Pod which Arky has been longing for forever
    - Every team plays every team in the SEC every 2 years, hosts at home every 4 (AMAZING)
    - Adds a conference game - this is tricky for UF/UGA/SC due to permanent P5 rivals, but expanded playoff would reduce the sting

UGA seems like the biggest loser, which is fine by me lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Alabama will still win 5 out of every 8 years.
    I think 3/4ths, or 11 teams.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I like those pods a lot.

And I think you're right, in the quickly shifting ground, the SEC would take a huge leap ahead of everyone else. I expect to hear noise from the other conferences very soon. The new UCF athletic director is probably constantly staring at his phone, willing it to ring.

This will surely date me by suggesting that 1992 wasn't a long time ago, but it was only with the addition of USCe and Arky that Tennessee became an annual opponent for us. Prior to the SEC split into East and West Divisions, scheduling between UF and UT was hit and miss with long stretches where we didn't play at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AUTigerGrad

AUTigerGrad GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    If Sankey can land these two....you secure the SEC as the biggest, baddest bully on the block for the forseeable future.

No combination of teams added to the other conferences could match the tradition, resources, and talent pool of these schools

Auburn
    Alabama
    Florida
    Georgia
    LSU
    Tennessee (yes they've been down for 20 years, but they are still a national brand and attractive TV draw and..at some point..will get their proverbial sh** together on the gridiron)
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Oklahoma

Good luck matching that level of College Football cache' with any other conference long term.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    My guess is they go 7-1-1, we get Bama in Tuscaloosa the first year, and Georgia doesn't have to play them till year 8, which will stretch out to year 18 courtesy of the next expansion.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    Maybe peak oil really is a thing.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Loose lips sinks ships. It just occurred to me that someone leaked this to try to stop it from happening. Clearly, this has been in discussion for sometime now. Since the original reporting leaked the story, I'd bet on it being Texas A&M who leaked the story to the press.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I say add Southern Cal, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

DROP: Vandy, UK, S Carolina, Missouri, Miss State and Ole Miss.

Forget Geography, you want a super conference.............there it is!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting thought...it comes down to money. Average payouts per team in each conference as follows are currently:
    • Big Ten: $54.3 million ($760m)
    • SEC: $45.5 million ($637m)
    • Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million (~$390m)
    • Pac-12: $33.6 million ($471m)
    • ACC: $30.9 to $37 million (~$476m)
    • $2.7B total
    So if the SEC absorbed the biggest moneymakers from the other conferences and essentially replaced D1/P5, it's feasible 80% or more of the $2.7B goes to the new league. Those teams would get $68m+ each in that scenario.

For the B1G that's "only" a modest 30% increase so maybe they try to stay out of this, but that essentially doubles the payout for other conferences and puts them ahead of B1G, which I think all commissioners hold as the gold standard for revenue deals.

The downside is this basically destroys the traditions of the sport, but with BCS then CFP and now NIL, I feel like the ship has sailed. It's probably time to start thinking about how to make CFB a better overall product in terms of matchups every year while maintaining key rivalries.

19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    In that pod system, who gets to go to the SECCG? I don't like it.

20. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    You're right on only needing 1 for the current divisional breakdown, but I just don't see a scenario where they can split up Alabama and Auburn.

• Like Like x 1