Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Report: Texas, Oklahoma Reach Out to SEC about Joining

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator Mike, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I have complete contempt for the mutts and the Holes, but we still play them every year.

I could care less if A & M bolts. But they aren't going to; where else will they go?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Agree completely. But I think theirs is more of a little brother complex. But yeah, they know they’re in the best place possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Most of what I’ve read is A&M grandstanding is more for the old fans and alumni that feel betrayed and that it’s not really serious. They leaked to see if they could stop and to show action, it didn’t work, they’ll wipe away their tears with money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd rather we have to play Missouri every year than Bama... So, I guess we can agree to disagree. :D

7. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    So that article has this

The impact UT’s decision would have on communities & businesses all across Texas would be real, substantial and potentially devastating," he tweeted. "On behalf of those concerned Texans, the Texas Legislature has an obligation to be involved."

Have I lost my mind? How will there be devastation? Are we talking about TCU Texas Tech and Baylor?
    The power of 1 school?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007

You want to have only 3 teams that we play every year? And then alternate the other teams every other year?

Not me... I want 2 divisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    It will sure as hell harm Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech economically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I would think TT would be a somewhat attractive candidate based on their athletic competitiveness but nobody wants to go to Lubbock. TCU and Baylor have the issue of being private religious based schools. Sucks for them, but no tears here.

11. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    AD says Aggies will be ready if Texas joins SEC

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork says the Aggies will be prepared should Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, adding that any concern with the potential move was about preserving the collaborative nature of the league.

"Regardless of who joins the SEC, whether it's now [or] in the future, 'the 12th Man' is ready," Bjork told ESPN on Saturday. "Our teams are ready. Our coaches are ready. Our athletic department is ready to compete at the highest level. That's what the SEC is, that's what we are as a university, and we're ready for whatever comes next."

• Like Like x 1
  12. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    The Texas cows are saying they don't need to chant SEC, SEC because they have their own brand. They will learn to get on board.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. traveling gator

traveling gator Freshman

Mar 7, 2017
    That brand is only as good as the record. To be Determined

14. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I do think it's kinda nice playing every team in the conference on a regular basis. But does it really matter? Pods, divisions, what's there to really care about?

15. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Tradition... That's the one thing that separates college from pro football the most.

I like the pageantry and the tradition of college football just the way it is.

Pods are an NFL 'garbage' invention.

If you want to play the west teams more often then I suggest we design a 10 or 11 SEC schedule to make that happen. We can do that in 2 divisions even with 16 teams.

We proved that we can play 12 all SEC games last year. Why not make that that reality instead of changing all of what makes college football fun to watch. We play all the east teams and LSU that's 7 game now, but soon to be 8 games... surly we can add 2 or 3 more SEC west games/teams to that schedule.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    It's time to end the permanent cross-divisional nonsense and rotate everybody through the other division. Home and home and we still play everybody twice every four years with a 7-2 format. We don't need pods, we just need to move Mizzou to the West, move Alabama and Auburn to the East, and add Texas and OU to the West. Everybody gets to keep their traditional rivalries, we get Auburn back, and Bama has to go somewhere. LSU can go have fun with all the new big boys in the West. Sure, we'll have to play Bama every year, but so will the leghumpers, who seem to have avoided them at every opportunity and in every realignment since the days of Vince Dooley and the Bear, INCLUDING 1980, an overlooked factoid so glaring it practically begs for an asterisk by Herschel Walker's national championship. Nick Saban is not going to live forever. NIL is going to completely change who the haves and the have-nots are.

Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt

Arkansas
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Mississippi State
    Missouri
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    Texas A&M

Four teams in each division with a realistic chance at winning the conference. Five each if Arkansas and Tennessee can turn it back around. And true geographic separation. You can draw a line straight north and south between this alignment of divisions. Same applies if Missouri stays and Okie State doesn't join.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I feel a good country song coming on...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Vandy gone, Clemson in. Missouri out, UNC in.

Why? because the old way is gone and it only matters whether you are prepared for the "Big Leagues" or not. Vandy can't claim "Green Bay" status, only honorable university status, which will magically go away. Missouri is the Jacksonville Jags, a decent idea but very limited in resources versus what a Charlotte can bring to the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Personally, I have a tough time believing Texas will get behind becoming just a regular Joe with a lunch pail instead of having a butler with a white tablecloth. Maybe there are some real bean counters around but I see them like Notre Dame - you do NOT give up your royalty.

• Agree Agree x 1