Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Remember back when Dems thought Cuomo was getting it right

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator10010, May 22, 2020.

1. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't know. Seems like that if this was such a viable option. I mean do we know if it was explored or what might have prevented it?

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The military thing is apples to oranges.

I am not even saying others did wrong. This is a blindsided attack that no one is doing perfectly.
    But I would argue the psychology of letting the people have more input is certainly one worth reviewing. Something has helped Florida keep the curve down by comparison to other states with large elderly pops.

3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    We should all agree that the media has been very short on factual information and very long on sensationalizing doom and gloom.

What disappointed me most is the lack of demand for substantiative information from the so called experts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    There is a very big difference between shutting down an airport and shutting down a subway within a city. Especially when the majority of the population was expected to be in self quarantine during that time. There are other ways of getting around in NYC other then the subway.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Maybe random luck has helped FL?...

which is kind of my point. It's why I'm critical of basing decisions on how people who are not well versed or trained in any study of disease feel about measure to be taken. No one wants this crap, but do your part and quit making it about *freedom* undetatched from any responsibility or understanding of the *enemy* (not you, tilly, general you) because the general public aren't experts on disease and their feelings about it shouldn't hold equal sway in combating it. This is where govt needs to be decisive in exercising its authority.

Six weeks ago DeWine received many accolades for taking decisive action based in science, not about how buckeyes felt about the pandemic. Doing the opposite doesn't make DeSantis' handling equally laudable at this later date. Just, perhaps, lucky. And it doesn't mask his early bad handling. But we're not out of the woods yet anywhere in this country or around the world because the potential is still there for a new wave, and this includes in FL. So leaving it up to the public, to make good decisions seems awfully misguided given the risk.

6. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

What are the other ways that are feasible for people who have to commute to jobs? The bus is still packed with people. Not many people are going to afford a taxi or Uber every day. Not may people own cars there.

7. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    There are leftists on this board who actively defend China, who has had a forced abortion policy for decades. Is it that far of a leap?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Walk? Ride a bike? How about limit the amount of people allowed on a train. Getting on a train is infinitely riskier that social distancing on a beach.

9. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

I don't think walking or biking is an option if you have to commute from Brooklyn to Manhattan lol. Of course its risky, but I'd hope people aren't getting on the subway unless they really have to (and are taking precautions). If you can reasonably walk or bike to places, I'm sure most people are doing that instead of using mass transit. But if you have to go a big distance to get to work or some other regular, essential activity, I don't know what other options there are TBH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Certainly getting on a train is riskier, but in NYC, the subway, buses or cars are the only reasonable forms of transportation for most people, unless they're fortunate to live quite close to where they work, or they're wealthy.

11. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Or it's for some other reasons:

Florida man beats Covid, for now

12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The background for Cuomo's initial order in March was that the hospitals in Long Island were being overrun with patients with Covid-19, and the elderly who had the disease and were being discharged from the hospitals had nowhere to go. Cuomo's emergency order required the nursing homes to take these patients, but only if taking them could be done in a safe manner. This was consistent with CDC guidelines. So blame Cuomo if you choose, even though the circumstances might have been out of his control, but, while you're at it, don't forget to blame Trump for 100,000 deaths and counting and for the worst economy in American history.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Perhaps he is. I sure the data from China is 100% reliable. :rolleyes:

14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
  15. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    This was a valiant liberal effort to spin this towards Trump but it's clear Cuomo handle the pandemic terribly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Let’s say it was although I am not inclined to label myself a liberal. I like balanced budgets, free trade and other things that the right wing no longer care about. But let’s say that Cuomo killed 200 or so people. That means that Trump leads 90,000 to 200. What inning are we in?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    200? And you are Right leaning? Not sure which is funnier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t call myself right leaning, but the righties no longer believe in conservative principles.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm waiting for a defense of Charles Manson. "Your honor, Mr. Manson was trying to set the right tone for reform in America. It doesn't mean every decision of his was correct. A few of his decisions were a little 'out there', like the serial killings. I say we give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens."

20. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Who defended forced abortion and where are we leaping to?