Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Remaining Schedule (NCAA or NIT)?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Jan 16, 2020.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Nah, it's been a consistent pattern with them for years now and they're making too much money for players to not be progressing. You have to do something right. Either be a great recruiter, or a great developer. We've gotten a bunch of top 100 kids, good albeit not great. You have to develop them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    My post was no where near optimistic. I was saying, for CMW to be Considered elite (by me): he has got to make a run, lots of wins ...and/or make a run to the elite8.

3. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry, I missed the “big” if! We can all dream, win out and go to the final four! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010

5. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010

407king

I kinda of agree with your prognostications and how that would feel, but a favorable slate, I can’t agree with that. We are at a point where we need 10/11 wins to get to the tournament. Each win will be hard fought from here on out. These teams you are saying that they are struggling, well they are trying to right their ships as we speak, each win be earned.
    (Think Missouri).

Come tournament time we will probably need a win or two is my thought, just how I am feeling at this time.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry, drop down to the next reply for my comment. Thanks

7. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    We'll see. I agree each one will be earned but we already played one of the better teams from the West (Bama) anf one of the trickier road games from the East (Carolina).

Vandy is trying to regroup without Nesmith. Wouldn't be shocked if they finish 1-17 in league play. A bad roster right now.

UT really can't score. They struggled to score with Lamonte Turner, now without him it's much worse. Just lost to UGA by 20 on the road. Shot like 25% at home vs USCjr and somehow won.

A&M is in rebuild mode but Buzz has them playing hard.

Ole Miss and MSU are both underachieving. MSU has legit talent but Howland's wasting it again.

We've got 6 games left against those 4 and get Auburn and Arkansas at home. That's favorable, imo. Could be worse. If we need 10 wins, I think we definitely have the schedule to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I hope you are spot on!

9. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I hope I am. I get we're a little down on this team but we're still in decent shape, imo.

UT has 2 conference losses and still has 2 games with Auburn, 2 games with UK, home games with UF and Arkansas. That's brutal, imo. Their fans are already looking to next season. They're averaging 63 points in SEC play. Yikes. For comparison we're at 83 ppg.

I think at times we can get so focused on us and not recognize the teams we play have issues too. Heck, LSU could easily be 1-3 in the SEC.

10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    For the record, I am not down on this team, just know that we have to get better on both sides of the ball and keep utilizing the bigs we have. All of them have something to offer. last year we did the same thing “deja vu”, hopefully we can go a little further that would make all Gator fans happy!

11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    After seeing us against Missouri not one of the 14 games is a gimme. How you see us going 8-6 is beyond me. Yes, I know on paper the talent is there to go 11-3 but we haven't shown it more than one game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    SEC teams play an 18 game schedule, not 14 games.

13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    We have 14 left.
    I take solace that we were 1-3 at this point last year, while we are 3-1 this year.
    Also, last year we had a very tough UT twice. This year its Ole Miss twice.

The next 4 are Auburn, LSU, Baylor, and Miss State. if we go 3-1 I'd be thrilled. I'd take 2-2 right now.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I should have make it much clearer. With 14 games left some of you are saying 11-3. I think we will be closer to 7-7 in our last 4 games. With 10-8 get us in?

15. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think it's fine to ding us for the Mizzou performance. Thing is, most of the teams that will finish at the top of the conference, have a similar-ish performance as well. Two were last night (Auburn and Kentucky).

If you're looking for SEC leaders with no brain-farts, it's slim pickings. Somebody has to get the 4+ tourney slots.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010

17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Hey I am with you in that eight is a good number of wins out of fifteen but needing a couple in the SEC tournament to get into the big dance. Our schedule is tough from here on out. We need to be more consistency, but players are getting lost on defense and shooting poorly from the three. Hopefully with the bright lights coming on after football season and these next three games, hopefully we can compete, have a chance to win at the end, we will know if we are improving. ESPN, CBS, ESPN2, SEC channel, the rest of our games will be out there for all to see, good or bad!
    Missouri was a game where we were overconfident and didn’t have a plan in place. This should be over with and the players know they got to improve.

18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    This. Consistency is our biggest issue, on both sides of the ball. I have a feeling though that our intensity will ratchet up from this weekend on. A couple of bumps and bruises along the way, but think we still end up making the NCAAT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    My concern is that since the SEC didn't fair all that well against non-conference opponents, the overall outside optics of the SEC is that the league isn't as good as last year, so we might need a better SEC record as a result. Either way, if we go 12-6 or better I think we're a shoe-in (20-10 total). Less than that and we're on the bubble, unless we do well in the SECT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I feel it is going to be close, but we need everyone focused on getting to the hoop, because the three hasn’t been our little friend. One out of three games we hit them with any consistency, if that continues we will be looking at the wrong end of the score(s).

• Like Like x 1