Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Remaining Schedule (NCAA or NIT)?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Jan 16, 2020.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The SEC teams and coaches are much improved this year. Each team on the schedule has ability to beat us on a given night. Add in Baylor, one the top teams in the nation, CMW has a tough road ahead. If the Gators make it to the NCAA, he will have proven that with a young team, he is an elite coach. Review remaining schedule then give any feedback.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 407king

407king GC Legend

Dec 8, 2018
    NCAA's

If this team played mediocre ball (like Miami level) the rest of the way they'd get 8 to 9 SEC wins. If they actually play well, they'd get close to 12 wins. Really a favorable SEC slate ahead.

A lot of SEC teams we play are struggling, including Miss State, Ole Miss, Tennessee. If we go 3-0 against them, sweep Vandy & beat A&M, that's 9 wins right there.

I think we can certainly win those, and pick up wins against UGA, LSU, Auburn, Arky and UK. We get all 5 of these teams at home too.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Not really, he'll prove he can get us to the NCAA tournament with a team full of talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Elite coach is he makes it? I think that is quite a stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Not making the NCAA tournament this year would be a huge disappointment.

There should be 3 near certain wins - 2X Vandy, A&M. Going 6-5 against the other 11 would get us to 12-6 and another 20 win season, and that includes a few games where we are likely to be pretty strong favorites.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We are so inconsistent right now. Hard to say one way or another with any level of confidence.

we need one of those “unexpected” upsets to counter some of the “bad losses/bad games” we have vs “inferior” competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    CMW gets the “Elite” moniker if we suddenly turn things around and run the table from here on out. And makes a run to the elite8 ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    We aren't on the bubble. Any talk of NIT is nonsense at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    The back half of our SEC schedule is brutal. White is gonna have white hair by the end of the regular season. I see several games that I just don’t see this team winning.

10. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If that happens, he should get SEC coach of the year. That isn’t happening.

11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    As they say: Never say never...or “ain’t happening” in this case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 407king

407king GC Legend

Dec 8, 2018
    Which game aside from @ Kentucky would fall into that category given what we've seen in SEC play so far?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    If you go team by team that we have to play, each team has some elite talent and some fill ins. Maturity levels on most of these teams are greater than ours. Playing on the road, any of these teams could take us down. We are still learning to play as a team and figuring out what we do best. These things you mentioned are pie in the sky at this time. Calipari is founding this out this year. You can have all the talent in the world, but that doesn’t make a team. Understanding that night after night do your kids feel they are better than this or that team or do they understand any team could beat them at any time so study your opposition, what can our team do to play to our strengths and focus on their weaknesses. Missouri we played hero ball, take the easy route and chunk threes, we got blown out. Mississippi was under-handed without their top scorer, we still have to go to Oxford and they will remember this game. Mississippi State has great talent and they will be tough, Georgia has turned it around quickly and they have a NBA talented guard who will be player of the year in the SEC, of course beating the Gators would help them in a lot of ways. We try to chuck threes on them, we will lose. Arkansas is better, Tennessee is getting it together, Kentucky looks unstoppable some nights and last night, found out by underestimating the Gamecocks, they got a loss.

The SEC tournament will be a barn burner, there are going to be some surprises and we might have to win a couple of games there to make the NCAA.
    So the chances of a complete turnaround starting with Auburn with this schedule, is not realistic in my view.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    We're fortunate that this is looking like a big down year for SEC teams. We've underperformed massively so far, but it's still possible to have a great season. We certainly have the pieces to do so. Potential and actually executing the gameplan are two different things. There will be more games where we look horrible, it's bound to happen. Just find ways to win like we did against Alabama and we'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Mods...someone hacked into Cincy's account. Please make sure this is an isolated incident. I don't want to have to change my password. I already have too many.

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    I see no games this team couldn’t win. Problem is, I also see no games they couldn’t lose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Right now no, but after these next three games will bring us a better view.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    It's funny because I've never said we couldn't rebound. I've only acknowledged that we've underperformed and it's extremely frustrating. I called for the heads of the assistant coaches and only if CMW doesn't make changes there should he leave as well.

19. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Being realistic, I have to agree with you 33hoop.
    We have gone through the mediocre part of our schedule. If beating Ole Miss soundly, that was short handed, is the reasoning for Gatorbogey’s optimism, well, “I’ve got some cheap beachfront property for sale in Florida”.

The Gators will have some come to Jesus moments in this next fifteen games.

Win all fifteen wins. 5%
    10 out of fifteen. 55%
    8 out of 15. 90%

This being based on watching the Gators since the early sixties, not scientific, just my personal view.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    A little early calling for anyone’s head. Let’s finish the year and see where everything falls.

• Agree Agree x 2