Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Refs (terrible)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 29, 2022.

1. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

You are reading me incorrectly. Back in spring practice, I expected the Gators to lose this game. Yes, I am a true Gator Fan, but I am a realist too. Yes, I am upset but not for the reasons you are thinking. I am upset because, too many people on this board had unrealistic expectations for this team. I am also upset that too many fans are complaining about the refs. Bad officiating did not give this game to UGA. The differences: in the talent level, continuity of coaches, continuity of the team being together, quality of recruiting, number of players leaving the team were the differences.
    I came into this season as being a rebuilding year. Those type of years are going to be rough. I am a Gator fan, and I was prepared to expect and accept this type of season. I do have expectation that the problems with the Gators will be fixed in the seasons to come. Yes, I said seasons. This rebuild will be multiple seasons. This is what being realistic is about.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    And don't you forget it!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Too much $$$ at stake for this to ever be allowed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Which goes back to the root cause of the problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

There is a video of the play taken from the Florida end zone The contact was the Gator players arm/shoulder, and chest contact with Georgia receiver's shoulder and arm. Actually this was push (a small one).

My back to the ball comment does not mean there was pass interference. Both the receiver and the defender have a right to go for the ball. When you see the defender's back/head to the ball, it is a good indicator that he is not making a play for the ball. He is playing the receiver.

The ref did not call this for two or maybe three reasons: 1, It was a bang bang play (the contact and the reception), 2, the receiver completed the pass and got a TD. 3, the physical contact could of been incidental contact.

Here is the link of this play.
    Here is a snapshot one second before the ball arrives. Please note the Gator receiver has both his head and back to the ball. At this point he is playing the receiver. The time here is 31 seconds. The pass is being launched.
    upload_2022-10-30_13-6-54.png
    This photo shows the contact. Incidental? Maybe. However he was not making a play for the ball. Note the clock time of 32 Seconds. The ball is in route at this time
    upload_2022-10-30_13-1-14.png
    Here is the ball hitting the defender on the head. Both men are playing the ball. No pass interference here. Note the clock time of 34 seconds for this clip.
    upload_2022-10-30_12-57-20.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I was replying to this with a focus on the bolded.

7. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Those calls weren’t close.

8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    You don't have to convince me that you're a Gator fan.

9. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    You have to be good enough that the "refs" don't matter. When and if we ever get to that point threads like this will go away. When I was a kid I would blame losses on officials. Now I understand that's a sour grapes cop out. Be good enough to dominate your opponent. Spurrier understood that. Now I do too. Of course there are rare exceptions like the "Swindle". But by far you lose because you weren't good enough to win.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

No question there’s a double standard with this league’s refs. Anybody who tries to take the high road by arguing this either hasn’t been around long, or is just…..trying to take the high road.
    And no, we didn’t lose yesterday because of the refs. But the bias was still there, and it served their purpose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tgator5

Tgator5 Junior

Sep 26, 2015
    Gator in Tennessee
    Referees might be idiots, but you can't bank all this Gator losses on referees screwing them out of wins week in and week out.

It's come sooner rather than later, but Napier might be in over his head.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Those zebras were not the "A" team for sure...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Again, show us where this has been said week in week out. I think this may be the only year I can recall where Gator fans haven't been complaining about refs costing games.

99% of the board ...." refs didn't cost us the game but it would have been closer without the terrible calls and non calls"

1% ...." guys you can't blame this loss on refs"

[​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I agree with this but calling non existent penalties on 3rd down like the Marshall holding or the PI in last years Bama game is pretty tough for a team that already struggles on 3rd down. The rich get richer with penalties like that and a team struggling to find its way gets penalized when it finally does something right. It's deflating.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    Nobody has claimed that . . . and just to be clear, you're saying already our HBC "might be in over his head."

Please tell us why you have that opinion. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    No . . . but those Holes intentionally cost us Earnest Graham in 2001 against UcheaT in the make-up game and nobody will ever convince me that didn't affect the outcome for the SEC East, the SECCG and probably a National Championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    Thanks for putting so much time in to explain . . . but I think you were just being given a hard time.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You can't blame the refs for Fourth and Dumb II, which led directly to a backbreaking UGA TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tgator5

Tgator5 Junior

Sep 26, 2015
    Gator in Tennessee

This entire thread and other other Gator boards is chock full of people complaining about the referees costing Florida the game. The referees didn't cost Florida three touchdowns.

Napier is in over his head because there's been stagnation if not times of regression; zero improvement from the previous regime. And miss me with the "it's because he doesn't have his recruits" scripted bit.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think Marshall got jobbed on kid two pass interference calls. One should have been a no call and the other was offensive pass interference

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1