Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Reddit. Which coaches are doing our recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by justinwitt07, Jan 2, 2020.

1. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    The data for CRob looks out of place because he's only been a coach for 2 seasons. The next lowest paid coach is Ron English, who has been coaching for over 15 years. Grantham brought CRob to UF after serving as a GA with him at MSU, so this was his first real gig. I imagine CRob's in for a hefty pay raise this off-season, but not sure his current salary is not reasonable for an unproven coach with only 1 year of experience.

2. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Given all the other kids looking at us and the fact we return 4 RB's next year and none of them will be SRs, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take a RB at all this cycle. Lingard's probably a take, and maybe Clayton, but it also depends who else (non-RB) wants in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    2 of those 4 - Clement and Wright - are not proven commodities at all. I feel pretty good about Pierce and Davis as the top 2, but we could really use another back this year as insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    And to think we traded Seider for Knox. I'd love to see him come back as RB coach, where he belongs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    If we had 4 highly touted guys I would feel better about it, we could close on a couple lower rated guys for depth and call it a day.

However we have Pierce as the clear #1 right now, then the rest is iffy. Wright and Clement are mostly unknowns but it appears neither could match Pierce’s production from what we’ve seen. Malik has potential but threw some major red flags this year with ball handling. So imagine Malik or Pierce get injured, now we’re playing careful to protect against depth issues. Who knows the impact on pass protection too? Maybe these guys can’t ever be on the field due to blocking liability?

Then next year ends and 1 or 2 of the 4 leave (let’s imagine Pierce thinks he’s good enough to go pro even if stats don’t suggest it). Then we’re in a position to need basically 4 backs next year just to cover poor recruiting the last 2 years? I’m not normally advocating getting bodies just because, but if we don’t get Lingard, Gibbs or Parrish then we need a body. Sign at least one guy. Find the highest rated uncommitted and G5 guys out there and throw offers their way.

That’s worst case scenario, I think we can get Lingard and/or Parrish, maybe both. The benefit of ESD is we know what we have and can throw all our resources at the remaining needs. RB is like building burning down important relative to anything else we need right now. Then WR (mainly get X Henderson and Shorter). Everything else is gravy.

If we get Henderson, Shorter, Lingard, Parrish and Avantae Williams, this is the best class since Urban was here. Bar none. It may not be ranked as high as Muschamp’s but in terms of balance and filling needs and getting great talent, this would be it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Frank Wilson was just let go a month back as a HC in Texas. Was the former RB coach and recruiting coordinator at LSU. Great recruiter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Holy crap do want!!

Rivals.com National Recruiter of Year (2011)
    NFL.com Top Recruiter in College Football (2014)
    Scout.com SEC Recruiter of the Year (2015)

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    holy shit that’s some serious drip

9. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Knox is doing just fine according to @crl

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Looks like he'd be a good choice but no connection to Mullen that I can see and you know how coaches are. Has been at Ole Miss before and worked with Lane at Tennessee, hopefully he doesn't join that staff.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agreed 100%. Gotta get this fixed and I’m concerned we are gonna lose CRob.

12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Surprised Kirby hasn’t come in and offered CRob $350-$400. This is utterly amazing.

13. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, because I'm certain that no one in football operations or the athletic department is aware of this. /sarcasm

• Like Like x 1
  14. sqgator

sqgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007

He may just come with $180K offer fairly soon.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Don’t make C Rob happy - make him ecstatic. Get him to $350k. He seems to get raves from the athletes he maintains contact with.

16. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    They have a defensive staff he likes and they recruit much better than us overall so I’m pretty sure he doesn’t need C-Rob. Also it’s not as easy to toss legit money at coaches because it gets reported publicly and needs to be added to the official budget and growing it too much / too fast will raise some red flags with the athletic department.

17. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I guess the real question is, Does CDM believe his staff has what it takes to be elite or does he see room for improvement with capable replacements? By those numbers it seems Knox is not doing much in recruiting but I haven't seen a big improvement in our RBs so not sure the development side is there either. Sure would be nice to have a top RB coach who develops and can recruit.

18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Guess it’s decided. Let’s get c rob a raise , hookers and a few midgets for good measure and lock this thing down :)

19. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Nobody has a connection to Mullen until they work for him. If he wants to coach for a national contender, he'd be smarter to come to UF than Ole Miss. The challenge hiring Wilson is that UF doesn't have a coordinator position to offer. Has Lane hired an OC yet?

20. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. Already got their OC from UCF.

• Informative Informative x 1