Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Red Tide of Death

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jul 1, 2018.

1. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  2. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Scary.

3. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I read about this and think about the commercial where the Indian is paddling around in his canoe among a bunch of trash and has tears in his eyes.

Pollution is everyone’s problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    1970s ad. We cleaned up air pollution with emissions regulations. We stopped the erosion of the ozone layer. We can fix this. We just need to stop treating our waterways like they are toilets or garbage dumps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Sanford seems to being doing their part.

Pollution in Sanford's Lake Monroe

These guys are eating the fish out of Lake Monroe? Why don't they save themselves the trouble and just eat and drink out of their toilet? (ok I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the picture)

From the stories I've heard from long time Sanford residents, the city used to pump untreated sewage directly into the lake. I hope that isn't true, but I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't put my left toe in that lake, and I've skied in a LOT of sketchy bodies of water in Florida over the past few decades.

6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Open (or blow them all up!) the southern dikes on the lake, let the water flow south naturally again.

2D41471F-F105-4625-B789-A0EB001E23C6.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry about your sister.

People I know have told me its bad from Sarasota and south, so likely is bad at Sanibel. I would call as well as check those online status pages.

Things north of the Skyway bridge are still clear as of a couple of days ago. Beaches are real nice up here. Maybe you can adjust your plans a bit further north?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Sending all that nutrient laden water into the Everglades would cause the river of grass to choke itself off with all the new growth it would fuel. Start by requiring big ag (cattle, sugar, sod farms, dairies) to meet water quality standards prior to discharge. Require land application sewage sludge to be reported and limited. Stop the pollution first prior to anything else.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The trip was in early July we beat red tide by a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Oh I agree with you, 100%! Fix the problem, don’t just shuffle it around.

I just don’t think the taxpayers of the state of F-L-A should have to spend hundreds of millions of $$$ to buy sugar land, in what was a crappy deal. Flood it and see what it’s worth then...nothing! Your scenario is likely to never happen, unfortunately, very unfortunately! Big sugar is a nasty, ruthless and powerful bunch. They are very well insulated and will be protected to make their toxic poison.

Big cattle and dairy farms don’t get nearly the negative pub they deserve. It’s a chity business, literally. It’s obscene what they are allowed to dump into the waterways. I stopped eating the garbage several years ago, thankfully.

So the {{BIG}} fix they came up with is to build a new holding lake to pump into. Instead of making them clean their “stuff” up, shift it somewhere else. Brilliant, just brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I keep hoping that the legislature or the governor will come to their senses and follow Kasich's lead in Ohio and require big ag to clean it up before it leaves the site. This round is going to cost Florida hundreds of millions in lost wages and tens of millions in taxes. Long term cost from decreased property values are unknown. Hopefully when the politicians see all those zeroes and the number of jobs it costs they will come to their senses.

Holding water is useless as is trying to use filter marshes unless the organic mass that grows is removed. I designed and oversaw the construction of a serpentine wetland to slow the speed of the water and to remove the nutrients as part of the remediation for wetland impacts elsewhere in the property (wetlands wre 75 - 90% infested with melaleuca) and we saw between 60 - 80% nutrient removal when it was under the control of the CDD and we harvested 2x per year. Once the system as turned over to the county and they quit harvesting the plants it was totally useless within 3 years. Nutrient removal went to almost nothing as the plants matured, died, decayed, and released the very nutrients they had absorbed when they were growing. Bamboo fields work great for this and produce a marketable product. Big ag could build these bamboo farms on their property and run their water through it and offset the cost with sales of the bamboo.

And if the morons in DC were to eliminate the sugar subsidies and tariffs then the land to reestablish the flows south would be much cheaper since the price of sugar would plummet.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    They control the state purse strings, but the state can't do the project alone, and the people controlling the federal $$ haven't gotten off the dime either The state can't divert Okeechobee water anywhere, much less to a national park like the Everglades, without federal approval and cooperation. And the Army Corp of Engineers has to approve and participate in any project to change the flow of water from Lake O. Everyone knows this, including Bill Nelson, who ran for Congress decades ago promising to clean this mess up. Marco Rubio also ran for senate on an anti-sugar, cleanup the mess agenda. Neither he nor Nelson have delivered on any of their promises.

13. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Rick Scott helping out small businesses...
    Offering business loans at the max limit of 18%.

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A couple of days ago I bought a half-pound of (previously frozen) boiled shrimp at Publix. I ate it before I thought about all the red tide around Florida. Is any of that stuff safe to eat? I'm sure they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't, but...

15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Keep the porcelain in sight after you try it. :eek:

16. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    It’s pretty bad along Florida’s west coast, and somewhat up in the panhandle area beaches. I’ve read Texas is affected also.

This is not the same algae that is coming from big sugar pollution from lake O.

I’ve been reading about it and found an interesting article that says the African dust that is blown here has some chemical in it that eventually feeds red tide algae. It’s coming all the way from the bed of Lake Chad in Africa.

Interesting read.

Desert Dust Kills Florida Fish | Science Mission Directorate

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
  18. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Has red tide ever been reported on the Atlantic coast of Florida? Wow! That's a pretty bad situation there.

19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I see the Palm Beach Post is taking a political side in the debate.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    When will it reach Mar a lago?

• Funny Funny x 2