Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Recruiting upswing

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Sorry about this rant but I just wanted to give my opinion on why recruiting has improved under this staff than previous staffs.

1. Florida Victorious. 86ing the old NIL from the previous 2 years and creating the Florida Victorious seems to be waaaay more functional and organized than the Gator Collective EVER was.

2. Not entertaining unrealistic targets and kids who are stringing the staff along. This cycle it seems like the staff has taken the "get on or get left beyond" approach.

3. Every kid that has a committable offer or has committed to UF in the cycles under this staff has been thoroughly vetted and recruited. No longer taking fluff just to fill out the roster. Every player the staff has brought in via the portal either is a starter or a 2nd stringer (Waites and Jack Miller).

4. Having coaches on the staff and off the field staff members who actually can recruit. Bri, Katie, and Sierra (before she went to Arkansas recently) were such upgrades over Lee Davis.

5. Breaking into IMG. Started when we got Kamari, last year we got Knijeah Harris, this cycle we have a pledge from Hawkins.

6. Not only is most of our recruits out of state commits, but this cycle more so than the previous two, we're coming away with the top players in OTHER states. For years we've griped about OSU, Bama, UGA etc coming in state and taking top kids from the state of Florida (and granted they STILL are), but we've done that this cycle. Went into Texas and got two of the top instate kids there (DJ and X), same with Mississippi (Waller and Davis), NC (Williams), Maryland (Chiles), Georgia (Graham).

7. I'll end it with this...winning battles against top schools for our "lower rated" recruits. Georgia was recruiting Michai Boireau hard, LSU was recruiting Marcus Mascoll hard as well and went head to head with them and won. Don't sleep on that.

edit: This post is also a factor I forgot to add but it's just as important, maybe THE most important...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 21
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Excellent post Bobby, thank you.

Question, given the current numbers, do you expect the occasional commit going forward? In other words, do you forsee any more multi commit weekends?

Thank you and happy 4th.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    also vast majority qualify and enroll early. Not taking non-qualifiers others have an ignored simply to provide appearance of better class ranking. Also, early enrollees providing 7 month head start and 8/9 months prior to Fall games. Allows them to be better prepared for year 2 with two years in Spring ball and two years of S&C and nutrition

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Agree x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    You know that's a good question. Seems as though July may be quiet for us until the BBQ at the end of the month. Not sure who's attending that uncommitted but I think the top targets we're after aren't in a rush to decide:

Zay Mincey
    LJ McCray
    Jamari Howard
    Jordan Ross
    Jalyn Crawford
    Cameron Coleman

Fletcher Westphal (Clemson and Arky in it too) announces in a few weeks but not sure where he's leaning

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I HAD to edit my OP and add this post because it's sooooo important. Getting the kids here early in December/January and available to participate in the spring helped. Last season was growing pains for our true freshmen but it wasn't because of lack of skill; they played like true freshmen and got better as the season went on. ALL of them

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    1. FV...
    I've seen it posted before that it's being done correctly now. Do we know that from facts or are we assuming it because we seem to be getting better results, namely June success?

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He needs a bag big enough to change his mind if he is considering anywhere else.

8. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Well, we haven't been told to ban all mention of the name . . . like the last group Gator Country owners were on top of early (and correctly). LOL! :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I guess the inside info was it was a mess and players knew it too.

Gator Country has new owners?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Think it’s missing a comma or two.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    It’s a culture shift and one that will take time to translate on the field. Last year and this year may be fugly but I think the long game is needed. Quick turnarounds are always built on a house of cards.

I’m happy with BN as the boss.

I won’t sharpen my pitch fork until 2025.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You won’t need to

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'll just summarize what you said.... so basically our up swing in recruiting is because we hired a Recruiting oriented field general who came in with a detailed plan of attack and he brought his freaking army with him. o_O

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    After next season concludes, we will have had the opportunity to meet these kids, parents and the HS coaches since the 10th grade. No longer behind on relationship building in the State. Stability is a helpful thing. If we give this staff time, I think they will bring in highly ranked players, they will develop them and we will have a good product on the field. Maybe not a product that can compete with Bama and UGA unless we pay more to coaches and players, but a very good football team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And he works hard instead of wakesurfing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Billy doing work.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You know... recruits are never permanent until they sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Bobby…. To point number #2, and you don’t have to mention any names (but it would be awesome if you did) did any of the reaches the coaches have actually pay out with a commit who signed?
    Thx for your thoughts.

19. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    And even then.

Go Gators! Go Billy!

20. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Hell they're not even permanent after they sign because of college footballs wild wild west of a free agency

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1