Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Recruiting poll question

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator10, Apr 25, 2021.

What is causing UF’s subpar recruiting?

1. Facilities

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Dan Mullen’s personality/lack of effort

37 vote(s)
    43.0%
  3. Assistant coaches

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Other teams paying players

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. Lack of success on the football field

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    This thread is to find out fan perception on why we lag behind our major competition in recruiting. If you don’t think we do, you are not looking at things objectively. Do you really think our talent is on par with Alabama, Georgia and LSU? A major reason we beat Georgia last year was because they had no quarterback. Do you want to rely on that every year? Does every thread need to heap praise on the coaches?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Was it covid or was it that Trask, Pitts, Toney and the supporting cast was as impressive as UF has ever had? Ole Miss maybe, but thatcwas a road game sandwiched between bamas 2 big tests, against a former coach known for offense. Covid affected everyone, but I think there were other factors in the 2 referenced games.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I don't know, last season Bama gave up more yards then they have in a long while. They they were ranked 71st in the nation in passing yards given up with 240 avg per game on the season and 280 per over the last 3 games. They allowed an avg of 352 yards per game for the season ranking 29th nationally. And they gave up nearly 400 yards per game over their last 3 games. And they were the undefeated national champions. It's obvious the lack of prep time affected the efficiency of the defenses to a many teams and it is clear the lack of Spring and preseason conditioning wore on the players from many teams as the season went on evident by the stats getting worse as the season drug on. Only difference Like @bobbybaker86 said is we had no room for error whereas Bama can have a down defensive year and still come out undefeated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

They had better players !!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It really doesn't matter. Proves nothing. There are narrow victories in low scoring games and narrow in high scoring games. Saban won both then destroyed two very good teams in the playoffs. Bama was 13th in scoring Defense in spite of two high scoring narrow wins. Right now I don't care about Bama and I know Saban will do what it takes to stay on top and will replace mediocrity immediately. Us though ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    As die pointed out, Bama gave up yards, but not points.

7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    The whole point is all teams were affected by the missing training/practice time caused by covid. Some teams were affected more especially of you're a team where some of your best talent are incoming freshman. We were all wondering why some of our highly rated recruits didn't see much time, but had we had a conventional spring maybe some of those guys would have been up to speed and gotten playing time. And yes , this also affected everything to some degree but less to a team with established upper classmen starters. I think we could have benefitted from a few of our younger guys replacing a few of our under performing older players but maybe they just were not ready early on. Idk.

What I do know is there is no built in excuses or unexplainable obstacles this season They are what they are this year. Hopefully our additions the last 2 cycles finally get to show why we recruited them. I for one am cautiously optimistic for this season. In a weird way I feel we are better positioned to surprise people this year since no one is expecting us to do much. Better than having the media getting our guys heads big and over confident with an over inflated preseason ranking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Only if you factor them in for the teams you are comparing us against, as well. I've never once seen that done here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. zman-1

zman-1 All American

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    We can thank Spurrier for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    When you look at recruiting, there have been several positions where recruiting has been less successful. Assistant coaches they lack the passion and ability to relate to HS kids is the challenge in my opinion. Hevesy is the problem with OL. Knox is lucky with transfers, but the problem with signing a HS RB. Our former Safety Coach has issues as well. Mullen is not a great recruiter compared to some of his peers and he does not hold his coaches accountable IMO and is instead loyal to his long serving Assistant Coaches. Thought Billy G could pull in better recruits putting 6 in the NFL the past 2 years, but not dominant

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Being mediocre in the SEC is "fine"?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Haven’t we finished in the top / near top of the SEC East last three years? Not mediocre

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    New wheels, Wing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    I think he is referring to recruiting where we have not finished at the top or near the top for the last three years. Last year, I think we finished around 5th in the SEC in recruiting.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I know he was but you know me by now that I’m gonna battle like a bastid.

16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Here is another thing all of u fire Mullen guys don’t take under consideration: The payment to the top recruiting schools “Cost of Attendance “ payout to players is considerably higher than at UF . That’s another inequity we have to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That one is a head scratcher too. Are we just cheap? What the hell is their problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

There is a mileage / distance logistics equation. We , the last time I looked was way down . Guess who gave out the most money.
    I looked up this years and we are about middle of the pack.Tennessee #1 . They can tack on a lot more to the scholarship

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

#1Tenn add $ 5,600
    Fla 3200

we are ranked 25
    FSU gives more than us

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    lol, it's the administration & you don't even have that in your poll.

• Agree Agree x 1