Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Realistically, if you could choose our new DC, who would it be?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Oct 17, 2021.

1. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Why not? He doesn't have a DC position now. He would be worth every penny that Grantham is getting paid. If he can swallow his pride, it's a nice gig.

2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The guy had tryouts with multiple teams under multiple coaches, heck even his own former college head coach didn't want him. It's much easier to point the finger at other people when someone we like fails, though.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    That guy who is still starting currently has a TD to INT ratio of 12 to 3. If Tebow could do anything close to that, he'd still be in the league.

4. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Russell Wilson is every bit as open with his religion as Tebow was, yet RW is one of the most liked players in the NFL. No matter how many times yall push this narrative, it won't be true.

And a big part of that freak show was caused by his own legion of rabid fans who felt like nothing was ever his fault, and every one of his failures was his coach, GMs, offensive line, receivers etc faults.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No thanks on Pruitt. Would help recruiting but not sold on his X’s and O’s. I could get on board with naming him something like co-defensive coordinator / assistant head coach and then bringing in someone else with less of an ego to call the actual plays.

6. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I posed the thought of getting Orgeron about a week ago and was accused of being high on drugs, so watch what you say here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Orgeron had never need a DC in his life.

8. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I would find it highly unusual if a coach who had been fired while he was head coach for a school to return as a coordinator.

I think Muschamp will be happy to coach against us, given the defense Georgia has this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Nice to point out this years stats..but career wise if he had as many turnovers as tds and set the nfls all time pick six record I doubt he would be starting for a local high school. Not to mention I’d love to see that player in a John Fox death offensive scheme. He has crushed so many qbs over the years.
    Now let’s talk about the single most important stat in football turnover ratio. If you own it you win…plain and simple. If you throw a pick six like EJ this weekend it’s even worse and it often costs your team not 7 points but 14..you get benched. Even under Mullen! Now leadership…Winston is a freaking zero there both on the field and off…Before you tell me Winston just needed a better coach I’ll point the guy who replaced him just took the same team and coach from the bottom to a Super Bowl win.

11. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Good lord. The man takes a 1-4 Denver team to the playoffs, beats Pitt, gets replaced by Peyton which is understandable, traded to the Jets and sits behind Mark Sanchez because the coach literally has a Mark Sanchez tattoo. Tebow was sitting on the bench when the legendary butt fumble happened. But okkkkkk

• Like Like x 2
  12. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa Premium Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Don’t have time to read all 9 pages to catch up, but here’s my take. DM is SStricks ‘boy’. I suspect that DM will only bring in a guy that he has a connection with. Look at all the DC’s , assistants that DM has had. Do any of them have connections to winning a championship ?? We’ve got bigger problems than replacing a DC guys and gals. Now in an ‘ideal’ world, one where Dan got some help with being able to recruit OL that play like UA’s and UGlys OL, we’d be able to find a young innovative DC that could scheme to hold opposing teams to 17 pt a game or below and we’d be good to win 92-94% of our games .

13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Codependency is rampant on this staff

14. 31g8r

31g8r GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Guys this maddening, the names being thrown out. If you want he next big thing or a proven winner, here is the best method to cull the list. Teen below should be blinded to eliminate initial bias both positive and negative. Personality fit must be accounted for when the list is winnowed down the have to fit into the staff and program. Also no ‘cowboys’ that would bring potential issues with compliance.

Decide what stats are meaningful to your search (3rd down efficiency, ints, fumbles caused, fumbles recovered, pass yards, rush yds, penalties, 1st downs, sacks) put the in a spread sheet for the top 30 teams. Then sort each column in ascending order and insert a cell fill color for the top 15. Repeats for each category then look at the entire sheet for the teams that have the most colored in cells.

This becomes your starting point. You then evaluate the team their level of play and performance against the entire schedule to smooth any outliers. (think TG feasting on poor teams) I would then want to see great stars against like skilled teams and the ability to punch up against better competition.

Next move to recruiting how do they do landing guys they want want and what region of the getting their talent from, how long have they been in place and what is their 3-5 year rankings. Then you watch tape of the team’s performance noting how they play any head scratching moments, when are they aggressive, are they able to control the game, do the players look disciplined and note player development over several years if possible. Also pay attention to any unique games rivalries, bowl games or games where their personnel might be challenged by opponents scheme or time to prepare. Pay attention to common opponents and how they performed relative to our efforts.

Lastly, interview others familiar with the coach and the coach himself find out who is is bringing and why. Above all else if we play them and beat them regularly, move on to the next name on the list. Choosing from the league is harder as it will be a position coach the formulae is the same with nuances to account for impact limited to positions.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Making him associate head coach would be good. Derek presents his team/players very well. Even his administration that fired him, he spoke well of them, not giving an arrogant, nonchalant answers when ask what happened after loses or his firing. Derek is a good person and greets anybody with warm smiles and will talk with anybody, very humble. His players ran through a wall for him. Vanderbilt is not a program that coaches can grow a program. James Franklin had problems with players getting in trouble and seemed to have questionable ethics. His results were they were beginning to win, when he left I feel Vanderbilt didn’t care due to the problems he created. Vanderbilt one day will get better but it will take a good AD who is willing to fight for his program to upgrade facilities and the recruiting budgets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. zman-1

zman-1 Senior

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Could the mods please remove all posts about past NFL quarterbacks from this thread? A few individuals need to focus on the given topic or go create a new thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    I point out 2021 stats because we're in the year 2021, not in 2016 or 2017 or 2018 or whatever stats of yesteryear you seem obsessed with pulling up. Winston has been the definition of up and down and a model of inconsistency who seems to be getting the hang of the whole NFL QB thing. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't need to make excuses for him because you are what your stats say you are and as of right now, he's a 12 TD, 3 INT QB who is playing the best football of his career.

Sorta like how the guy who replaced Tebow took the Broncos to multiple Super Bowls. Tom Brady is a better QB than Winston, which is a "no duh" sentiment. Also didn't hurt that future Hall of Famers like Gronk and Antonio Brown followed him there.

18. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Rex Ryan was fighting for his job, if Tebow was substantially better than Sanchez, Ryan would've had no problem putting him in to help save his job. Alas, he felt "Butt Fumble" gave the team a better chance to win.

Also, his career didn't end on the Jets. He was given a more than fair chance on the Patriots, got cut...I guess Bill Belichick hated him? He was then given a more than fair chance with the Eagles, got cut....I guess Chip Kelly hated him? Then he was given a chance to tryout for the Jags after spending years away from the game, got cut. I guess Urban Meyer hated him, too?

19. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Senior

Feb 7, 2018
    What qualifications are necessary in our new DC???

20. swampspring

swampspring GC Hall of Fame

Dec 13, 2009
    • Informative Informative x 1