Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Realistically, if you could choose our new DC, who would it be?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Oct 17, 2021.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    We just need to find great Def Line and LB coaches. We have to put and end to this running thru gaps with out being touched until the third level.

2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Yeah, Diaz is too Fire Zone Blitz happy for my taste. Looks good when it works. The rest of the time the opponent's band ends up playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How about this:

1) Teaches sound principles
    2) Improves defense with each game
    3) Adapts during the game and can make adjustments on the fly

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Again, no one's arguing that he was TB/AR/DB or such. Sure there are at least 20 QBs better than him, and 20 teams with a better fit at QB...

My contention is simply that there were maybe 5 teams--hell, call it 2 ( he could only play for 1 anyway)--that could have done better w TT under center, than whoever they went with.

That makes him an NFL caliber QB.

....and his signature playoff win is still one more than Jameis Winston has logged--and he qbd a team that had the infrastructure to win the super bowl, as Brady proved (nb--thats why he chose Tampa--its not like he took a bunch of schlubs and did everything himself...).

6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Possible, since Mullen hired him b4. Would be very disappointing. Reminiscent of the Shannon hire, but worse. Almost makes me hope the canes win some games so he isn't fired or at least not b4 TG

7. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Muschamp.

Don’t hurt me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    The only thing that really shortened his NFL career is when horse teeth got Peyton Manning. Now Peyton is one of the best. Certainly in that GOAT conversation. And it's unfortunate that he followed Tim. That last season of Tim's at Denver's was one of the most exciting NFL seasons I remember ever watching.

Media hated him. Talking heads hated him. Religion has taken a hit in this country big-time and people hated him for that too. If you'll check the record books for that playoff game - Tebow broke all kinds of records. Longest pass plays, etc. Besides, he was worth watching, just because of who he was.

His time was cut short IMHO. And that lard-ass coach of the Jets didn't do him any favors, for Gods sake they used butt-fumble over Tebow. Tebow tore up a preseason game big time and that other freak with the Eagles dumped him too. By then his NFL career was done. He was too polarizing and teams didn't want to deal with the freak show. Players didn't like the focus he stole. Coaches didn't know how to deal with the circus. So he never got to fully develop in the NFL. No one was willing to bet their careers on him-they were scared of him.

I'm calling you out because of your Tebow bashing on a thread that has nothing to do with Tebow. You spent an awful lot of time writing about why he sucks as an NFL QB. I've never called out anyone in the 15 years I've been on this site but your 'I'm a Tebow fan' 'love' is a bit conflicted. It's really hard to read. This is a Gator site, right? His name is up on the stadium - the ring of honor.

Everyone knows he wasn't the best NFL QB. But a decade later you sure like to convince people and argue that. Besides, he's too good for the NFL.

This is about as close as I'll ever get to "Too Hot"

I'm sure you're a nice guy, but bash Grantham for Gods sake, how that guy ever existed in the NFL is beyond me.

Go Gators.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

I think Muschamp will be a decent DC, just not as a HC.

10. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    There was an odd rumor on one of TOS, that the Iowa State Athletic Director was seen on the UF campus. Matt Campbell is the head coach of course, but I noticed in that graph that Iowa State is 3rd in total defense. Jon Heacock is the defensive coordinator.
    In all honesty I think that even if the Iowa State Athletic Director was on the UF campus, it had nothing to do with football coaches (that simply doesn’t make sense), but it is an interesting coincidence.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. persuader

persuader GC Legend

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Well, well. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed?
    1. My point was in reply to a post that Rex Ryan “ruined” Tim’s NFL career. I simply don’t think that’s the case & tried to provide data to support that. It’s not like I randomly just started talking Tebow on this thread.
    2. What does Tebow’s Gators career, and his accomplishments here, have to do with a discussion about his NFL career? And where did I minimize those?
    3. I do agree with a lot you wrote about. No doubt Tim was not your typical NFL prototype QB. Some team was going to need to build their offense around Tebow’s skill set, which was a gamble. Josh McDaniels was the closest anyone came to really taking a chance on him.
    4. For whatever reason, the fact remains TT was a marginal, at best, NFL QB. Pointing that out isn’t “bashing” him.
    Edit: I forgot……
    5. A decade later and this is my first reference on GC to Tim’s NFL career numbers. I don’t see how that equates to “you sure like to convince people and argue” anything.
    6. Have some coffee. Eat some breakfast. Read my reply. And realize YOUR post was actually quite lame.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Lateral move.

269F6450-7DB7-4AD1-B809-3A20300292BF.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Dan actually hired him twice and both times Diaz left after only one year. It’s like the friend that likes you a lot more than you like him.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg All American

Jan 10, 2014
    North Mississippi
    At the VERY least, he was capable of carrying a clipboard on the sidelines. He was better than many quarterbacks who do that highly important job.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    DL got blown up in this game and Turner was partially to blame (mainly DEs running wild like they're in a passing down). But his overall performance has been one of the strongest assistants on the team, both from recruiting and coaching.

The counter being blown up was a bad look but he's not the problem, the scheme they were in was. He should have pushed Grantham to go heavy as his guys were getting blown up, or coached the DEs to contain, but ultimately Grantham runs the show and caused those problems. He insists on playing Nickle no matter what, and kept soft coverage when LSU ran the ball in 21 of the last 23 plays. Ridiculous.

And yeah LBs have been trash for years. C-Rob is one of our best recruiters but seemingly his LBs are always out of place and not developing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    The problem is Tebow was a horrible practice QB. If you're going to be a NFL backup QB, you don't have to be good in the games but you have to be good in practice. You have to be able to run the scout team so your defense can prepare for the opponent. Tebow couldn't do that. End of story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Doug Belk, Defensive Coordinator, Houston
    • Houston is currently #4 in total defense
    • DB coach at West Virginia 2017-2018
    • Grad assistant at Alabama 2014-2016
    • DB coach at Valdosta State 2011-2013

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Only on away games.

19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Isk if he’s been mentioned but someone said an interesting name(s)

Derek Mason
    Jeremy Pruitt

Id sign either or right NOW as DC

20. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In the field workin
    What’s the opinion on Marquand Manuel? I’d have to think he’d be in our top 3 recruiters day 1.