Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Realistic Assessment of Mullen

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by stevethegator, Oct 16, 2021.

1. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Remove the first season (which is pot luck for any coach) and Sabans record is far superior. He was undefeated in his second and third regular seasons which is a monumental boon to any fan base. He almost beat us in 08 and beat us in 09 when we looked unstoppable. He NEVER had a 2-6 stretch against P5 opponents. He never had a defense rated the worst since before WWII. Again, please do a diagnostic on your logic circuits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry, he’s regressing because of how he built and runs the program. He’s not a victim. If you want to bet on him then please, go ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Again cherry-picking time windows. And you're deliberately misconstruing the point I was making. My point is not that Mullen is Saban or had a similar trajectory to Saban or any of that. My point is their records are close in the first three years and both regressed in year 4.

My point is that many folks here would have probably been calling for Saban's head after losing to Auburn in 2010.

If we're going to be handing out mulligans, how about we give Mullen year 4 as a mulligan? He didn't use it in year 1 because year 1 was actually pretty damned good.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Your premise is the conclusion and you prove your conclusion through the premise, "Mullen is not building or running the program well." Why? "Because he's not building or running the program well."

That is circular logic and I might as well be talking to a brick wall.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  5. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    At this point it’s easy to imagine a 5 loss(or worse) season. We simply are not a very good team. It would be a minor miracle to end up with only 4 losses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Undefeated in seasons 2&3. Almost won natty 2nd season by almost beating us. Handily won natty season 3 by handily beating us. No one was ever going to call for his head in season 4 for his slight regression. (Which was nowhere near as bad as Mullens current collapse.)
    I’m not going to deal with your lack of reasoning past this point.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Assessment of Dan:
    Pros:
    Some amazing offensive game plans
    Adapts to the personnel
    Top level OC
    Consistent offense each year
    Transfer portal king
    Has gotten the program back on track
    History w/QB’s including UF
    SEC East Champ in yr 3 & 1st program/coach to reach New Years 6 bowl games the first 3 seasons of tenure. (2-1 in those big games)
    6-2 against FSU, GA and TN

Cons:
    Not into the details - undisciplined
    Stretched thin as HC and OC
    Adjustments are result of reacting not preventing
    Wrong on the last 2 starting QB’s - Frank’s over Trask and Jones over AR
    Recruiting is lagging other SEC schools
    Hanging on the Grantham after last yr
    Slow pacing AR especially vs KY when we couldn’t get anything going
    ST and Defense have struggled at FL under his leadership
    Losing multiple games as the favorite
    Poor record in big games
    2-2 vs KY
    Stubborn and some head scratching moments with media and press conferences
    5-8 against ranked teams at UF
    4-6 last 10 games w/two wins against P5
    11-9 against teams with winning record

Mullen needs to somehow someway continue to improve recruiting and significantly improve the defense, which most agree is the key here. Grantham needs to go no questions asked.

I think the guy is a special play caller and above average as a head coach. There are NO sure fire hires out there. Dan needs an elite defensive coach and top 5 recruiting classes on both sides of the ball to get his teams over the hump and more consistent.

The question is, can he do it? I believe he can.

Recruiting is improving so I think we are going in the right direction there. Just need a D like Spurrier needed to get his team over the hump in 96.

Dan Mullen needs his Bob Stoops. I think it’s that simple truly.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not just that he’s losing. It’s that it was predictable that he would and will lose by the way he operates. I have no idea why Admin gave him a raise. What a waste.

He recruits poorly, his staff is mediocre, and he does not present himself well. But I suppose his presentation shortcoming is not quite as glaring yet since we still have Muschamp and McElwain in our memory. It will likely turn out that as we speak here tonight it was becoming clear Mullen was in over his head.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Really good post. Great post actually.

Yes, he could do it, but he won’t. He’s lazy or just doesn’t care.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What every fanbase does is the nitpick in hindsight what a coach does wrong when they lose... and remain quiet about the imperfections when they win. No team is perfect. Not one.

Weak excuse and a weak standard to apply in gauging whether to keep or fire a head coach. Need something more concrete than that.

He has the 7th most talented team in the country, and that's "recruiting poorly."

His staff is mediocre. That's entirely opinion.

He does not present himself well. Opinion... and also... Who cares? You want a coach who wins football games, or you want a coach that is cool in his pressers?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    In that span we’ve lost 3 games as huge favorites. So you can’t play the “we were a big underdog” card. In fact we were a bigger aggregate favorite in LSU/UK/LSU than we were a total dog in Bama/OU/Bama.

So basically we lose the games we should lose and lose the games we should win. Yay

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So we never win when we're an underdog and we never win when we're a favorite? That's news to me.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You know what... for those of you who want Mullen gone right now...

If we keep him, great. That's the right call.

If we don't, I'm sure you'll be calling to can the next guy within his first 4 years. Maybe you have a good reason to want Mullen gone, frankly I haven't seen one yet. But if you want Mullen gone for something as arbitrary as his record in the last ten games, regressing in year 4, or he hasn't won a title yet... you don't deserve happiness as a football fan. You don't deserve an elite coach.

I've said my piece... and I've had enough. Good Night and Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Glad to let you know. Pretty damn bad to lose as much as Dan does as a favorite and to damn near never punch above your weight

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Saban was only a part of what turned Alabama recruiting around - especially at that early point in his time there. There is absolutely no doubt about the benefits outside the NCAA rules that were in play (and still are, although now that program recruits itself)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
  18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Win and the warts become cute moles.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, you're absolutely wrong. quite a few of us pointed the team's problem after the Bama game, when every pumper was jumping around happy happy. I wish it's fan's hindsight, but it's coach's hindsight and fan's foresight.

In Mullen's handsights if he's serious abour winning and can evaluate himself, he'd look himself in the mirrow and say:

1, I wish I tried my best to keep MC
    2. I wish I didn't demote Seider
    3. I wish I let TG go to Cincinnati
    4. I wish I have tried my best to recruit Burrow
    5. I wish I started KT over FF from day one
    6. I wish I fired TG after the 2019 GA game, at least
    7 I wish I started AR in game 2 against USF, if not the game 1

the list goes on

Everything mentioned above, some people said, at the time, not in hindsight, should had been done

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  20. Gotitsussed

Gotitsussed Sophomore

Feb 5, 2009
    Great play caller and he knows football as well as anyone but recruiting is, by far the most important thing that determines success in college football and his prickly personality just isn't going to compete with the other top tier SEC schools.

Yes Spurrier was somewhat the same way but today's kids are different.

Our problem isn't coaching its a talent gap. Mostly on defense the last few years.

JMHO