Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Re-post of Lacuna's post in her thread

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub & Grill' started by GatorGrowl, Feb 1, 2021.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    It has been requested that the following post be posted in a separate thread.

Here is the post:

Questions continue as to what is going on with me. Without doubt, due to the deteriorated state of my health, the end will be sooner rather than later. Likely by way of one or more of the infirmities brought about through my illnesses and the attrition of the number of accumulated years of my lifetime. The closing of this last chapter, whenever it comes, is cause for preparation, perhaps even celebration as I prepare for what lies beyond. And I've still much to learn as I prepare for this last test, likely to be a pop quiz. The advancement does not cause me fear. Even in the midst and mist of the unknown I've a sense of certainty and trust.

The poignancy, however, does not escape me. My family and a dear friend do not like me speaking things that need to be spoken, but they do understand my confidence and faith that underwrites my certainty. So I spend my days in reflection and wonder, amazed at the existence of the greatest miracle of all ~ Existence ~ that there is IS Something rather than nothing. The patterns and paradoxes I discover in mundane things hold my attention. The accumulated years allow a perspective, an increasing distance that reflects the accumulated experiences of a lifetime like the infinite rhythmic beauty of a Mandelbrot set, that some call the 'Thumbprint of God'.

The further I travel into my future the better I see and understand the past and the effect it has on the present and the future yet to come. A close examination of a lifetime of memories, ethereal evidences of myriad experiences, reveals their endless connections. The measurement of a lifetime. Yet it has been demonstrated by the particle/ wave experiment measuring the trajectory and positioning of photons being bombarded through a double slit onto a screen, that observing them, measuring them, has a baffling effect on what they do or did. The late physicist John Wheeler posits the Universe would not exist if there were no one to observe it. His experiments, and those of other physicists offer proof towards validating what is yet unproven.

And I wonder what all this means. For years I have maintained IF God were to be found, could be found - it would be through - or in - the mysterious field of Quantum physics. A field that fascinates, baffles and intrigues the greatest minds as it engages the imagination. I know enough to know I wish I knew more, understood more, but my mind - though curious - does not have the intellectual capacity of a John Wheeler or a Benoit Mandelbrot. I am grateful for their tremendous insight and contributions to the scientific world.

My faith is founded on instinct rather than belief, part of the natural order of what I observe in the world. I am a Christian, a follower of the Christ, though there are those who will hasten to refute or deny my declaration based on my inability to believe orthodox Christian dogma and doctrines. I've studied several of the world's religions, some intently, ultimately returning to the faith of my fathers and mothers, finding within it the simplistic truth that could save mankind, this planet, if we learn what it is we need to know and follow instructions given by Abraham and Moses in one language, elucidated by Jesus in a similar one, dissimilarly by the Buddha, and others through time who also knew and spoke those same truths.

I'm not going to go all crazy and religious, but there are great perennial truths and themes found within the Bible. Love encourages, builds, creates, and sustains. Hate destroys, diminishes. Succumbing to temptation is our downfall. Greed, selfishness, pride, lies, jealousy, theft and deceit are insidious ills that damage us, harm us, and when left unchecked that damage is endlessly perpetuated onto others who will likewise project it yet forward. The effects of our short comings (sins) are most definitely visited on those in our wake, those who follow us. Karmic retribution. These cycles of ill will continue until we learn the benefit and the necessity to break the pattern so the healing can begin. Peace comes to those of Good Will.

Another thought for whatever it's worth. After the tale of the Flood and Noah's Ark comes the story of the Tower of Babel. In Genesis 11 it is written descendants of Noah of spoke one language and set out to build a city of stone with a "tower to reach to the heavens to make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

But, as the story goes, the Lord observed and was disturbed by what the men were doing in their single tongue, confused their language so they no longer understood one another and scattered them so they stopped building their edifice intended to reach into heaven. As I read this story I wonder at its implication today in the 1's and 0's of the universal language of computer spoken both by people with vaunted intentions and those with greedy or malicious intent. It is a remarkable monument to man's achievement and along with our power grid, highly vulnerable to EMP. Without these systems our tenuous connections are severed.

Our monuments to self, our greatest strides forward are achieved through the creative tension of paradox. Man cannot fly. Gravity grounds us. Yet we have designed and constructed aircraft that has carried us to the moon and back. The oceans have been crossed on ships for an unknown number of years and more recently explored in vessels defying the extreme pressure of watery depths to dive and rise again. We shout at one another but until the development of the telephone, radio, television, and other video media our voices and communication were limited by the distance of time and miles. We excel at building things that do not last, are not renewable or self sustaining. They are monuments to our progress; possibly instruments of our own self destruction. What motivates their existence? What impels us to create them, use them? What will we find within ourselves when we discover the answers?

Whatever we find, discover ourselves to be, whether we be the Earth's finest flowering, or its most terrible virological scourge, we will leave a traceable impact on what remains. What will the future reveal of this time when viewed through the observing lens of the impartial historian?

I take heart in the words of the 14th century anchoress, Julian of Norwich, who wrote:

“All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FLfan

FLfan VIP Member

May 9, 2007
    Thank you, Growl. I'm praying for Judy, as we all are, no doubt.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thanks GG and Friends.

One of the great posts ever on GC - !!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Been amazing reading her journey. Very talented.

Prayers...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    I am moved reading this from Judy.
    Such great Heart and wondrous Spirit!
    Such humanity.
    A true testament to Love and Faith.
    God bless Judy and Dick.
    Love and prayers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FLIPCUP

FLIPCUP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I am also greatly moved by this post and all that it represents.
    On occasion I have very similar thoughts to those stated and implied in Judy's post.
    They are sobering....often I am uneasy, perhaps uncomfortable when focusing on them... then I run away from them returning to trivial pursuit of the daily rat race...finding comfort in the avoidance.
    The world is a better place with Judy in it.
    God bless

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    and the Pub is a better place with @FLIPCUP
    a Vanders sighting would be nice as well ) hope you are well and safe

• Agree Agree x 4