Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RB rotation will be 3 to 4

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    According to Knox:

Knox was asked how he and Mullen plan to divide carries this fall with so many intriguing options.

“Anywhere from three to four that will be ready to go in the game plan that we’re doing,” he said. “Now, I say three to four, but everyone will be ready to play. If they’re dressing out, they are ready to play in some shape, form or fashion.”

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Informative but talk about Coach Speak. The key is how they design carries for specific players like Toney... how well Mullen integrates. I hope we see two back sets where we have our playmakers out there and not just as decoys. But maybe to spread the field properly in Mullen's scheme they cannot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Full house backfield

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I want to know if they can keep Malik Davis on his 6-yard per carry average, if they can get Kadarius Toney the ball in open space, and still pound the ball up the middle--all while rotating 4 running backs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen's system is pick your poison. He will have RBs, WRs and QBs who are good runners.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mayhem41

Mayhem41 GC Legend

May 11, 2010
    Toney's carries wont be the typical RB carries, don't think he even applies in this situation. Is interesting with the options returning, but this is not unexpected. Very rare when more than 3-4 get carries in an SEC game. Scarlett will for sure, and expect him to be the bell cow (he IS a Sunday player). Davis is another matter, coming off the terrible triad (ACL, MCL and UCL) unless that was misreported or my info is wrong. Lot of options, to be sure.

7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Thought the word on the street was Davis will redshirt?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mayhem41

Mayhem41 GC Legend

May 11, 2010
    Now that I think about it, he almost has to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    He's our best player. I say if he's 80%, we play him.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Mayhem41

Mayhem41 GC Legend

May 11, 2010
    Talented to be sure, best ? Depends..., absolutely a game breaker, though. Not sure he was or ever will be an every down back, which you can't underestimate (Scarlett is). Injury was UG game late Oct, puts him missing at minimum first 2 thirds of SEC schedule. Red shirt does make sense, and breaks up the log jam at RB we have pushing him out another year. Position can take a hit, for now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    The reason that Malik Davis averaged 6.5 yards per carry was not because he had open space, but because he is an incredibly strong, fast and elusive runner despite his relatively small size. Precisely the same is true of Kadarius Toney.

You may recall that once the 2007 Offense was in place, with a Competent Teobow, all three RBs who got the most carries averaged around 7 yrds per carry (Harvin, Rainey & Demps).

With a lesser Oline, I would be quite happy with 5 ypc or so, which both Scarlet & Davis managed even in Nuss's Offense with younger versions of the same OLine players.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Senior

Dec 2, 2013
    It's hard to have watched the Gators play over the last two seasons without understanding that Malik Davis is our best back and an elite talent.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Ok, he may redshirt but Davis is our best back. With 8-9 in the box an 18 year old averaged 6 a carry. Actually 6.5. Scarlett, honestly to me jury is out. Yeah he got tough yards. Then he missed a year. Does he have breakaway speed?

Davis is very very different. His instinctual abilities are rare. Very rare. Maybe he redshirted but he's the number 1 back. I hope he gets his due respect when he comes back. Hate to see a future all American transfer.

Remember, in life we often overlook those that are not 6'1 225. Davis is not big but incredibly strong,elusive, instinctual, and very mentally tough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    True but neither was Harvin a typical RB. Just saying that Mullen will need to show he can utilize talent rather than suppress it(see MacNuss) so that we win games and he has credibility recruiting.

Which is why I called the quote coach speak. Of course you will have 2-3 getting the carries but you are training your entire stable to see who stacks up.

I am not as enamored with Scarlett as some but admittedly he had a poor scheme and weak OL to be sure. But yes, he will be drafted because he has the measurables and potential.

Oh my, tragic. I did not realize it was such a complete injury. Was it?

What a shame if he cannot return to full production. He was on track to be a great RB for sure.

Agree.

15. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Scarlett was the fastest RB on the Gator squad in 2016. He has breakaway speed, but it's his ability to get past tacklers, where he was among the highest rated in the nation in 2016 that allowed him to average 5 yds per carry when everyone else was 4.5 or lower in Nuss Offense.

I do agree, however, that Davis is really amazing, averaging over 6.5 ypc in Mac/Nuss offense.

And Lemons is very good also, while Perine is a very solid player, who isn't as much a breakaway runner as those other 3, although he also has good speed.

And some feel that Pierce may well end up being the best in the group.

So many good RBs makes Clement an Athlete rather than an RB.

If the offense makes long drives, then 3 or 4 RBs makes a lot of sense. However, if they only get 12-15 First Downs per game, like the past 3 years, there won't be enough carries for 4, or even 3 RBs to share the load.

16. Nic

Nic All American

Jan 26, 2010
    I think you sit Davis, let him fully heal. Don't chance it. We have enough RB's in the stable with Scarlett back. Not expecting us to be world beaters this year so why force Davis back in at 80%? Bring him back in 2019, Mullen has his offense in place, Scarlett gone, OL should be bigger and badder, then hopefully a true starting QB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    If he's 80% you don't play him. At 80% that means he probably won't have near the same quickness or strength built up in and around his knee.

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I agree on Scarlett. Plus, he's missed an entire year and we have no clue if he's figured out how to block anyone yet. I think there's a 75% or greater chance Davis redshirts and we see a rotation of Scarlett, Perine, and Lemons....and one of the two freshman also redshirts.

This is from Will Miles, he used to work for SEC Country and is a huge numbers guy. He started his own Gator site and it's great for anyone who likes stats and numbers. This is what he had to say from a Q&A about Scarlett and I agree completely:

Does Scarlett retake the starting job? @wes_yount

Jordan Scarlett is a good running back, and based on 247Sports composite rankings, he has the highest rating of any of the running backs on Florida’s roster (117th nationally). But he’s only averaged 5.0 yards per carry in his career, which is good but not spectacular (for reference, Georgia had three players who averaged more than 6.0 yards per rush in 2017).

There were 122 backs (who qualified for the NCAA rushing title) who averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry in 2017. There were 281 backs who qualified, which puts Scarlett’s performance as slightly better than average.

He’s also going to be competing for carries with Malik Davis, Lamical Perine, Adarius Lemons, Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement. This doesn’t even take into account the carries that will undoubtedly go to Kadarius Toney, Emory Jones and Justin Watkins.

I think people are underestimating two things about Scarlett. First, it is really difficult to take a year off from a sport and remain healthy, let alone play well. But second – and perhaps more relevant – is Scarlett was really bad at pass protection in his first two seasons. If that doesn’t improve – based on the increased discipline I expect to see – Mullen isn’t going to let him play, let alone start.

https://www.readandreaction.com/201...thing-mullen-consider-2018-successful-season/

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I'm not sure it's fair to compare scarletts numbers against someone running behind ugas OL. Scarlett is one untouched run away from having a similar ypc to Davis.

I do get the gist of the article, and I do think that Davis showed something special. But Scarlett is a fast strong back who can get tough yards and still have the speed to make something happen if the blocking can get him to the second level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017

I think of the two we took, Pierce WILL see the field at RB this year. He may surpass both Lemons and Perine (and I like both of them, Pierce just looks like a beast to me). Clement changes positions, imo. Not sure whether he redshirts or not, but I think he moves to receiver one way or another. He was rated as an athlete not a rb, wasn't he?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1