Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RB Recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by StrangeGator, Apr 7, 2022.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Surprised no one has started a thread about running backs so far. I have a few thoughts but I'm eager for more knowledgable posters to weigh in.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume UF is looking to take at least two RBs this cycle. If that's the case, I'm hoping the coaches want two distinct talents, a power RB and a breakaway threat. Those skills aren't always exclusive but I'm not seeing any Fred Taylors in this class.

Just watched clips from Justice Haynes, Cedric Baxter, Trevaun Webb and Kaleb Jackson. Baxter and Webb are both great power runners with a great early burst, vision and balance.

I'd read somewhere that Baxter's speed was a question mark but it wasn't that evident in his clips. He's a powerful runner but has good cutting ability. Of the four, he seemed to be running behind the best OL which helped him get to the second level.

Webb is similar to Baxter but with a bit more wiggle. What stands out most is his vision. If there's an issue with speed, I'd be more concerned about Webb than Baxter. He gets run down from behind on a few plays. Neither he nor Baxter get a lot of separation on long runs.

Haynes is an intriguing prospect. He's explosive when he gets the ball. He's a north south runner but makes some hard cuts without gearing down. He seems to have great vision the way he breaks long runs without running away from defenders. He's probably faster than Baxter and Webb but doesn't separate a lot when he gets to the second level. I haven't seen verified times for any of these three.

Jackson is a burner, verified with a 10.66 100m time and almost 15 ypc last season. His team ran a lot of plays out of the pistol formation and the traditional I formation. I know BN ran a lot of the former at Louisiana. Jackson got a lot of yardage on toss sweeps and draw plays from those formations but also motioned out wide. He's got great hands and looks natural as a receiver. Bottom line, he's the speed guy I'd like to see. At 5'10" 200, he's prototypical for a high school junior.

Not an insider or even much of an expert but I do watch a lot of clips. I'd like to see some real experts weigh in.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Did someone call an expert? [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Baxter to me is on par/even a bit better than Young. Either one, along with (presumably) Webb would be a HUGGGGE get.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    What are your thoughts on having a legitimate speedster? With an improved OL, good upfield blocking we could those sorely missed long TD scampers. Hopefully we'll get a taste of that with the current RBs in Billy's offense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Just the fact that our board consists of 5 of the top 7 RB recruits in the nation (could be 6 but we don't seem to have much interest in Singleton) is a huge breath of fresh air from Greg Knox's recruiting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel the same. Crazy that our RB board is so strong one year removed from Knox.

I'd love Justice b/c of the message it sends to Smart and Saban -- we are a force in recruiting.

I'm getting the vibe that Verron is raving about the UF visit to ensure UGA steps up their "pitch" when they have their official visit next month.

StrangeGator - I'm a fan of speed at every position. All four of those backs are 200 lbs+ and have good/great speed. Their running styles are similar too. It's not like one of them is Chris Rainey and the others are Deshawn Wynn.

I'd be happy if one of them sign ... if we get two of those guys ... triscuits and gravy for all my friends.

Prediction: Webb and one more that we aren't talking about yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Singleton will be in the picture I do believe. In the end Uf should get at least one of these guys, perhaps 2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You said Truscuits

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

Gators want two RB this cycle. CBjr top target.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Yeah, I’ll take Javon Kearse turned RB for $800 Alex.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Young, Baxter and Hayes are at the top of the board Imo.

13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Is Young anything but a pipe dream?

14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    He's a burner.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yet Webb seems like he wants to be a gator. We probably splitting hairs. Get an oline and any of them will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    he would make a GREAT linebacker;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Greg Knox would be focused on a formerly top rated RB rehabbing from a serious knee injury right now. You can see and feel the difference in recruiting skill and relationship building.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    You had me at “triscuits”

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    yea man Knox would have this room looking silly. He’d be giving some recruit who only FAU looking a full ride

20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    The article about the Haynes family on the front page makes it sound like Justice is a done deal. His dad was blown away by the staff, comparing him to the Steelers' and Patriots' organizations.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1