Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rasmussen poll :1 out of 3 democrats think its racist for a white person to criticize a poc

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by nobbqsauce, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Legend

Aug 16, 2009
    The concept of free speech, at least in our country, relates to governmental infringement of the right to free expression.

When person A says something person B disagrees with, and person B says "you can't say that, that's racist", nobody has lost the right to free speech. Both parties have expressed themselves freely with no governmental intervention. Maybe person A feels their words have been shot down, but they are still free to say the exact same thing again. They might get censored by a private organization, but that's well within the rights of the private organization.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I agree. When republicans are shamed for saying shameful things they feel like their right to be disgraceful without consequences is being violated. That is not a right. Deplorable is as deplorable does/says.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I agree it's being skewed by the context of current events, but I'm not sure "any" really adds that much clarity to the question. What is ambiguous about "political views"? Most political views don't even deal with race or even controversial issues. Is there a racial context to trade policy for example? The clearly correct answer is no. A dumb idea is a dumb idea no matter who puts it forth and should be called out in the interest of good governance and to benefit all races.

4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    1 out of 3 Republicans believe that “America is no longer a racist country since it elected a Black President...” there fixed it for you...

As in that is evidence we are no longer a “racist country.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2019-7-21_21-12-7.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thank you. This is an important point.

Some of this stuff could just be considered being rude....rather than racist.

I also think the concept of free speech is also lost by some.
    Very well put and I stand corrected. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Personal experience, observing behaviors in public. I currently live near several black families and 1 single person even looks my way or says hello to me even though I'm very friendly and make attempts to say hello in passing. Most of the time they barely acknowledge me, look past me or straight up ignore me. Again this isn't just one instance in one place I've lived it's also not the only example, I just really don't feel like getting into a long conversation about this.

I know, I'm wrong and probably a racist myself for observing this but it's what I've seen in public and with interactions with neighbors in 3 states in multiple neighborhoods.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't think you are racist. But like several here, your comments suggest to me a cognitive bias when it comes to this issue. You seem to believe your personal experience applies outside of your individual experiences but without any observations/data that either shows there is some larger pattern or there is some link to a larger pattern. This is why I questioned what was informing your opinion. Not that I think you are racist, but you are not necessarily seeing the bigger picture accurately, imo.

It could be there is a rise in explicit forms of racism occurring across groups, but this wouldn't necessarily make them all equivalent. I'll give a related example.

Since 2016, the FBI's hate crime data show various spikes in hate crimes associated with the 2016 election and other related political events. This includes an increase in hate crimes against whites. Yet what these data also show are larger spikes targeting minorities by whites, particularly toward blacks, who have been the leading victims of hate crimes every year since the FBI started collecting data. Point is, it would be easy to mistake a general increase (or one that affects multiple groups) as being equivalent in number, when they are not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    According to the FBI statistics you just referenced black people commit more hate crimes per capita than white people do. So you may be right about things not being equal...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    TH is a great example of a private organization who does exactly what your describing. Their rules , don't like them then go somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle

12. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Here's a fantastic lib white guilt assuager video, kind of like going to confession.

You're welcome.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't look forward to it at all. My point was I found it interesting that you posted about one prejudice but ignored a more pernicious and widespread one.
    When twice as many think it's ok, one would think that would have been the emphasis of the OP

14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    On topic...

- it is ridiculous but not surprising that some percentage of Dems see simple political disagreement with Politicians of Color as racist

- it is even more ridiculous that many/most Trump supporters don't see the racism in his recent comments, or in the extended, recurring pattern of racism in his behavior and rhetoric

- the timing, ordering and phrasing of questions in the poll likely skewed the poll, as some folks were probably considering Trump's racist comments rather than just simple political disagreement

- I agree with @Bazza that sometimes people are just rude (or ignorant) and not specifically racist or bigoted in intent, and we shouldn't conflate the two things, especially with someone who is equally rude to everyone

- the polls @oragator1 posted on perception of racism in America are very informative of people's views and much of the discord and lack of understanding of racial issues

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Really?
    I look forward to your report on the percentage of republicans who believe racism is NOT a problem in America. Two out of three will be the floor, I wager.