Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rasmussen poll :1 out of 3 democrats think its racist for a white person to criticize a poc

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by nobbqsauce, Jul 21, 2019.

1. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Politician of color....( I dont like using acronyms like this but I ran out of room in the thread title.)

Trump A Racist? 32% of Democrats Say Any White Criticism of Politicians of Color Is Racist - Rasmussen Reports®

IF true, imo, this becomes a problem. Racism, actual racism, gets water down with non racist issues like this. It also becomes a political.problem. Ttump was hammered for his send them back comment...as he should have been. We dont deport or kick out of the country people we disagree with...
    But this poll seems to suggests some think it is ok or right to label a person who criticizes any politician of color...a racist.
    Has the public developed a skewed view of what racism truly is?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Weird, if true.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Trump is the least racist person you will ever meet, believe me I must tell you I can tell you that. Nobody is less racist than DJT, I know because he said so.

• Like x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Off-topic x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Minority politicians have figured out it's a very effective shield to protect them from any negative criticism and it's way more than 33%.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    While I know it is tempting to change the topic, can we try to stay on topic.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    My concern is more with society's warping or skewing of racism. If this poll is true, it isnt only in politics that we will see something like this crop up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Keep an open mind.
    Black Conservatives Debate Black Liberals on American Politics (Extended Version)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Keep an open mind.

Latino Conservatives Debate Liberals on Immigration, Trump, and Race (Part 1/2)

Latino Conservatives Debate Liberals on Immigration, Trump, and Race (Part 2/2)

• Like Like x 2
  9. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    So, the poll suggests that 2/3 believe it's okay. Next.

• Like Like x 1
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Now if you’ll buy that...
    I got some oceanfront property in Arizona,
    From my front porch you can see the sea.
    I got some oceanfront property in Arizona,
    If you’ll buy that I ll throw the Golden Gate in free.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    So to be clear, you have no problems with a third of democrats polled thinking it is ok to expand the definition of racism to include just openly disagreeing with or criticizing any politician of color? Would you be ok if 1/3 of conservatives decided to change the definition of legal immigrigrant? Or if 1/3 of Republicans decided to change the definition of poverty?

The meaning if words matter. It's just one reason I do not like Trump. He chooses his words poorly. If we are allowed to change the definition of words to fit our ever changing agendas then the words really have no meaning. The word racism becomes moot.

There was a commercial with Johm Cena where he has something to the effect that that patriotism shouldn't mean love of country...and while I dont disagree with what the co.mercial WANTED to say I disagree with how it said it. Patriotism has a definition. To just decide we want it to.mean something else is to make it mean...nothing.

12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I can see Russia from my front porch.
    I can sell ice to Eskimos.
    I could shoot someone on 5th Ave and nobody would do anything.
    I can dunk from the free throw line.

:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    This just proves that 1 3 of Democrats aren't capable of coherent thought. Do you think Republicans would do better?

• Like Like x 1
  14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    My father in law could sell ice to an Eskimo. But the better sales job was me selling him on me marrying his daughter

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's been so long since we've had widespread racism in this country, that we have forgotten what the word means. It has devolved into a word that you can hammer people you don't agree with, especially if there is criticism involved. Millennials do not like criticism, unless they are doling it out (for racism).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Well done, sir! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let me preface this by saying that even if it weren’t Rasmussen and the question were worded better, there would still be some yes answers here.

But the actual asked question doesn’t say “any” in it. This is the actual wording:

“Is it racist for a white politician to criticize the political views of a politician of color?”

It’s an important distinction, a lot of people are likely assuming it’s a current events question and answering accordingly.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think it'd be incredibly disappointing if one-third of Democrats do believe that. It's an absurd opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Go take that poll on a college campus if you really want to be spooked out. It would be more like 90%.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I think the better question would be "do white people expect to be considered racist for disagreeing with a POC?" I'll bet that number is closer to 90, if not higher.

I'm an old-ish white man who has a decent amount of money, so I probably have very little ground to stand on in this. But I don't know when being the victim of something became a badge of honor. As I matured, you didn't want to be seen as a victim in your life but, while no one wants to be the victim of anything, feeling victimized seems to have a nobility to it I don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2