Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Random Thoughts Post Game Part Trois

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jaxg8r, Jun 22, 2023.

1. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Mike Rivera
    I have no idea what a Student Assistant Coach's responsibilities are. But, having him in Omaha has to have been impactful. Sharing his insights from 2017, and helping keep this team focused, can't be understated. Plus seeing his excitement when Kurland legged out his RBI single in the 9th was cool.

Josh Rivera
    Continuing the Rivera praise. The dude is just a ball player. He reminds me a lot of Nelson Maldonado. Head down and keep grinding. And that relay in the 4th inning wasn't a routine play. He fielded a short hopped throw, spun from the edge of the outfield grass, and threw a dart to the plate. Remember in 2022, when he was stuck behind the freshman phenom?

Michael Robertson
    The apologists can spin it any way they want. But, there is almost no chance Langford runs that ball down in the bottom of the 9th. Robertson's first step was what made that catch possible. It's what separates centerfielders from the other two outfield positions.

WF vs. LSU (06/21)
    You have to wonder if the WF coach overthought his choice of starting pitcher last night. He started his #3 with a plan to cobble together a complete game from their bullpen. Then, when his #3 only went 4.1 innings, he had to go to his #2. Effectively burning two of their four starting pitchers.

LSU vs. WF (06/22)
    Anyone else hoping they play a 7-1/2 hour, extra inning, twice weather delayed game tonight? I never understood those that want the opposing team at full strength. I want every advantage possible. No one will remember the minutiae in five years, just who has the 2023 CWS Championship ring.

Cags
    I'm just about to the point that I equate him to that player most of us remember from when we were kids. That kid that was way bigger and athletic than other kids their age. And consequently, not as fundamentally sound as they should be. It'll be interesting to see where he gets selected in the MLB Draft next month. Just to be clear, I'm a Cags guy.

As always. It's Great To Be A Florida Gator!

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Isn't Jac just a sophomore?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^

Good post @jaxg8r — only thing that I see off at all is Cags is not draft eligible this year. (Aren’t we all glad of that!)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Perhaps the last couple games haven’t been beautiful, and our toughest opponent is still ahead. But if asked a couple weeks ago, who here wouldn’t have jumped at the thought of entering the CWS finals with Sproat on 9 days rest? Can’t control our opponent or the wind, but we’ve got a legit shot here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This could be its own topic. My question is always "to what end?" Do you want their pitchers to have fewer mistake pitches? Do you want them to have perfect fielding? Do you want their batters to have better contact? For me, the extent is healthy and no egregious umpiring blunders (small ones are fine :devil: ). How about for recruiting? Do you want these teams to have the best possible recruits and transfers they can get?

As for burned players and what not, none of the teams remaining have to prove their worth given the path that they took to get here. It has been an unreal ride no matter what for each of the three remaining teams. A quality athlete is going to have the opportunity to step up and make a big play to help their team win a championship; the team that does this the best will have earned it. How many folks in 2008 were happy to see FSU (regional 4 seed, RPI 92 at selection time, that had to win their conference tournament just to make it in) in their bracket (they went on to beat the #6 national seed, #2 national seed (twice), and the #8 national seed (twice) en route to a national championship)? They were more than capable and they showed it on the field.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Great post. If you needed ANY reminder that baseball is a TEAM GAME, this CWS is the ultimate QED! A different hero / heroes in each contest, though #24 has been our constant through it all.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Sad thing is Cags is pounding the ball, his exit velocity on grounders has been higher than other players HR's.

I read an interview about a year ago, a major leaguer said when he was younger his dad introduced him to Ted Williams.
    Williams told him the secret to hitting was to swing upward at a 6 degree angle and hit the bottom third of the ball...lol

Who knew it was so easy, just do that every time and you can hit 400!!!o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Rivera was stuck behind a freshman phenom in 2022??

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Rivera stuck behind a freshman in 2022?….when he started 63 games at short?
    Langford looked solid in CF yesterday and I believe he would have made that catch as well. Robertson has really improved on balls at the fence as the season has gone along. He would not have made that catch earlier in the year. I’ve been on the Robertson bandwagon but he needs to become an exceptional bunter. If he was he would be starting right now.
    Cags is not draft eligible this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Regarding Cags, he seems to be a bit too emotional (not passionate but emotional) to move forward as a pitcher in the majors. I see him as a DH, occasional first baseman and a funny usage in a weird set of events as a one or two out pitcher. He has one more year to figure out this pitching thingy.

11. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    A few thoughts:
    It was good to see Sully wearing that tee shirt that said something like, I CAN COUNT - UP TO 5 or similar. It was funny and showed he put that blunder in his rear view window.

I just saw Robertson’s catch last night. Man, under the circumstances, that was just a phenomenal effort. It was reminiscent of “The Catch” by Willie Mays, just not as spectacular. It certainly was a great catch but what was surprising is he knew where the wall was and after he first saw it, he turned and ran very fast towards the wall! It was incredible; he turned what could have been two inside the park HR’s against us in two consecutive games into a game saving out. He deserves a lot of credit and maybe a statue in front of the stadium!

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I understand where you are coming from but the emotional thing applies at the plate as well. He is immensely talented all around and he will continue to mature. The sky is the limit with him. Pitching is definitely in his future. This time next year we could be talking about how he had the best season ever as a UF pitcher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some of this was good. I agree that Josh Rivera's relay from Evans to Riopelle was a game saving play... worthy of greatness. I also agree that Center field is a position that requires great foot speed... and it's not the same as the Left field or the Right field. The ball just moves differently when it's hit to Center field... takes time to master.

But one thing that you missed on was Cags... He's a sophomore and he's NOT going anywhere in this year's draft because he's not draft eligible.

In the end we got great play from Halter, Kurland, Rivera, Robertson, Heyman and Evans, as well as the pitchers in this game... including Cags. It was a complete team win. I like that about this team.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Caglionone has had a phenomenal season - one of the best is Gator history, IMO. His ERA is actually lower than Sproat or Waldrep. His WHIP is better and his batting average against is considerably better. With his height and frame, his delivery has to be precise and when he's "on", he's as good as anyone out there. But he gets his release point off kilter at times and has a hard time getting it back. A work in progress, but tremendous pitching talent. He, also, has been on a hitting tear virtually all season and it's unfortunate that he's hit a slump the last couple of weeks. But it happens to the best. Plus teams have more film on him and are learning how best to attack him at the plate. And the pitchers in the Supers and CWS are the best of the best and can hit their spots. Would be nice to see him bust out of it over the weekend because if he does, that could be all she wrote for whoever we play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Cag lion one, now that's an original nickname. Perhaps it will catch on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Not to mention it wasn't long ago that he had TJ surgery. His best as a pitcher is yet to come imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Wait, did FSU win a national championship in baseball?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Yes Cags has room to grow as a ballplayer. He is a big kid. A sophomore. Pretty great season for a soph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Sure did. You can look it up.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Wait—surely you don’t think “11” came out to Omaha to the CWS 22 times without winning it at least once…….

Of course you can look it up (hint:start with 2008).:devil:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1