Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Random Thoughts Post Game Part Deux

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jaxg8r, Jun 19, 2023.

1. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    The Game Itself
    That game may have redefined the term ugly win. What a train wreck. It's a little late in the year for some of what transpired mid-game on from the Gator's in the field and in the dugout. Will it steel their resolve or create an iota of doubt? We'll know in the next few days.

The Umpires
    It would be interesting to know how they are selected for the CWS. Is it based solely on merit and in-year assessments by the NCAA? Or is it who's willing to, or can, take a week or two off from their normal lives to be in Omaha? The home plate umpires have been marginal, at best. I get tight zones, big zones, and expanding zones. But, having those same zones rotate thru in successive innings has to really confuse batters. I think back to the base umpire in the 2017 CWS game, Gators v. TCU, that made the obstruction call. He was totally focused and in command.

CWS Breaks
    There's an old saying that you'd rather be lucky than good. Let's hope that the umpires incorrectly allowing Fisher to fully warm up is the 2023 CWS break that, looking back, is pivotal in the Gators winning it all. If I was on the ORU coaching staff, I'd have likely gotten tossed after ripping them a new one for allowing that.

2023 CWS Teams
    What a gauntlet. Whichever team wins the National Championship will have truly earned.

As always. It's Great To Be A Florida Gator!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    We had a pretty good showing fanbase wise. It seemed ORU “fans” outnumbered us 4:1 but most of those were the local yokel Nebraska/Creighton/Iowa crowd that just adopts the underdog du jour as their own. Many we talked to couldn’t tell you what state ORU was in, couldn’t name a player, and certainly didn’t know the religious background of the school… but they sure enjoyed wearing juvenile “Oral” pun shirts and rooting against the Gators.

The handful of real ORU fans we met were good people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sully got lucky. No much he could do but sit back and trust his guys. Not trying to stir up trouble, but you could see in Sully's face the torment he faced and looked mental handcuffed. At one point he looked like he was weighing the cost to use Cags if needed or take the loss and work our way back thru the losers side. In the end it looked all he could do is take a deep breath and let baseball happen. So be it, we got a ground ball to short and a fly ball to left center to end it. Winning ugly is never fun but resting until Wednesday is always better.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I had the pleasure of attending the 2006 Hoops Final Four when George Mason was the Cinderella. They had their own fans to support them, plus good will and cheers from the unattached fans in the arena. But the loudest and most consistent cheers were from the UCLA and LSU fans who wanted nothing to do with the '04s plus Humphrey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Don't know enough about the rules to know for sure if the umps allowed Fisher too much warm up time. The rule I looked up said if a pitcher is ejected, the relief pitcher is allowed must warm up on the field, but will be given ample time to warm up. Since Neeley was forced to leave by the officials this may have been their reasoning.

Even more importantly, since we had nobody warming up, it is also a player safety issue. I'm sure the NCAA would never want to be accused of a pitcher being forced in without being allowed to properly warm up and blowing out his arm against the first batter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    WE won! But had only 5 hits (the first hit was an error), stuck out at least 12 times, had terrible plays in the outfield. Evans is not an outfielder but his bat as come alive, Josh had a bad day in the field, Neely and Slater were off, but we won! I was there and it seems there wherefore LSU fans than anybody and they were rooting for ORU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    My brother-in-law, who coaches, said the warming up should take place in the bullpen, and the pitchers are only given a certain number of throws at the mound for warm-up.

However, you might be right that the “ejection” brought in other rules or allowances.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wilkerson often came in from. the outfield and never got extra pitches.

Don't know why Cade gor a few extra tosses.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is there a difference between a coach initiating a change of pitcher versus the pitcher being sent off by the umpire, albeit in response to a coach’s action?

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Pretty sure that the umpires used the same guideline as for when an unplanned pitcher is brought into the game due an injury to the current pitcher—the bullpen was empty of activity at the time.

That’s the only explanation I can come up with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I suspect that the umps didn't know what to do so they gave him a few extra throws but not as many as Cade would have liked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Playing in the outfield meant he was throwing every inning while the current pitcher was getting his pre-inning throws, so his arm was limbered up.
    I got the impression that Fisher was just in the dugout watching the game.
    Could be wrong, but the only pitchers I seem to recall getting any bullpen throws at all were Abner, Slater and Neeley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    My thoughts on the game. We ended up getting the win even though we didn't play very well, which speaks a good bit in itself. ORU had 11 hits in the box score, but at least 6 of those were what I would call a miss hit. High bouncing choppers that take forever to get to the infielder or bluppers that get just over the infield. It had to be frustrating for our infielders and pitchers. Then at least two balls that should have been caught in the outfield, one to right and one to left, that we got to the ball but miss played it. It was just a weird game that we were able to do what we needed to pull out the win. I'll take it!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Evans has been a pretty good defensive OF over the past two years. In two games in Omaa, he didn't get to balls that he has caught in other opportunities, moving toward or into foul territory. That includes a couple of catches sliding into the RF berm wall. I was disappointed he didn't catch either of he balls, but each time, I felt good that he was the one making the play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    During the seasons he was a reliever, Wilkerson generally played 1B and would warm up between batters with a catcher crouching near the wall, next to the dugout.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Back when Evans was a starter this year we were playing just about all of our games at home. We had 3 SEC road series that he started in but after that he sat. Makes me wonder if he needed more time getting use to the Chuck and that tight corner to feel comfortable enough to go diving for balls in the corner. That said I don't think Shelnut would have gotten to either of those balls nor would Schiekofer made either of those catches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Question, why were we the visiting team? We were the higher seeded team, which got us the home team status in the first game, and WF was designated as the home team in the exact same situation?
    ....NM, WF was the visiting team also....:emoji_grimacing:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a formula basically built around the number of times that a team has been home and away. HAA will host HA (for example). HA vs. AH will be a coin toss unless they have previously played. In 2017, before the championship series, FLORIDA was the higher seed, but since both teams had 1 loss, they went to a coin flip; if LSU had won game 2, there would have been a coin flip immediately following the game to determine the game 3 home team.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

WES—

Sounds to me like you have revealed the NCAA’s master plan formula on everything it does—AH-HA!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    From reading posters on this forum I thought that the NCAA and the SEC would only do things that hurt the Gators.

• Funny Funny x 2