Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rand Paul blocks Senate from approving 9/11 victim compensation fund

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 17, 2019.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Wednesday blocked an attempt by Democrats to pass an extension of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) tried to win the Senate's consent to approve the House-passed bill, which would reauthorize funding until fiscal 2090. The bill cleared the House in a 402-12 vote last week.

But Paul objected, pointing to the country's growing debt and arguing that any new spending should be offset by cuts to other spending. "It has long been my feeling that we need to address our massive debt in the country," he said. "And therefore any new spending… should be offset by cutting spending that's less valuable. We need to at the very least have this debate."

He added that if the House bill was brought up for a vote in the Senate he is planning to offer an amendment "but until then I will object." A spokesperson for Paul later told The Hill that Paul "is not blocking anything," adding that he "simply seeking to pay for it."

Gillibrand, after Paul objected, said she was "deeply disappointed" in his decision, adding "enough of the political games." "I am deeply disappointed that my colleague has just objected to the desperately needed and urgent bill for our 9/11 first responders," she added.

Rand Paul blocks Senate from approving 9/11 victim compensation fund

[​IMG]
    No money for 9/11 first responders, while spending millions upon millions for golf trips. Draining the swamp MAGA style, baby:emoji_sunglasses:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    It's a juicy political bit...but setting up a federal 9/11 attorney's, shoot I mean 9/11 first responders compensation fund is ridiculous.

Those people have literally the greatest insurance on the face of the earth (except for maybe those US congress). They were also state and not federal employees. New York State should be funding this instead of free college for illegals.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    Odd, you post an article that doesn't quote Trump, doesn't mention Trump and yet you bring Trump into the conversation.....out of convenience I guess?

The old is the debt a problem or not issue.

If you believe it is a problem then how can you be upset with Paul wanting to cut spending elsewhere in order to pay for this?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Surely this isn't true, I have read on here numerous times that conservatives aren't concerned about the defecit.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Here's what I mean. People in government who hate government.

Wanna pay for it? Remove the stupid tax cuts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Did Paul object to the tax cuts that increased the deficit?

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    He actually did. He wasn't opposed to them but did want them offset with spending cuts. I don't know if he eventually voted for it but at least early he wanted it paid for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Refusing to pile on our debt is a political game? Poor RP is a lone sane man in an asylum.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Or trim our enormously bloated budget. The answer isn’t always tax tax tax

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    He did vote for it after expressing some reservations:

Rand Paul: 'I plan to vote for the Senate tax bill' despite problems

• Winner Winner x 3
  11. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I get that, and it isn't always. However, we paid for all the military imbroglios since 2001; this one seems a no brainer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    So Paul is for tax cuts for millionaires and against spending to help 911 victims. Priorities.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    And New York State should have gone to war against Al Queda. Nothing happened to Florida on 9-11. Right.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Everything that is wrong with this country is summed up in this. We can’t be bothered with paying first responders whose lives and health were affected because they rushed to help after an act of war. We can’t even raise the money to pay them. Shame. Shame. Shame. And shame on those who defend this. I only hoe that if some disaster endless them, that the country equally abandons them.

• Like Like x 3
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm with you on this one. One of the principles of our Constitution is that an attack on one state is an attack on all (i.e. provide for the common defense). That strongly implies to me that we assume collective responsibilities for all aspects of the war, including care for our wounded civilians.

That said, this thread is still dumb. Rand Paul, using sense that both sides should agree with, merely asked the obvious: If we're going to spend new money (and we are), what lower priority should we cut to offset? This question should come up with every new spending bill.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, I find it pretty hard to make a good decision about this without knowing more. What do those first responders need and what would this bill give them?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh we are but you wouldn't like our solution.

18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    He hates taxes almost as much as wasteful spending. Sounds like the guy we need to elect to be our next president.

Was kind of hoping the guy there now felt the same way. Swing and a miss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    But rest assured! Mr. two-faced undoubtedly will raise a flag on the 9/11 anniversary beating his chest screaming what a patriot he is and how un-American Democrats are. :rolleyes:

20. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007