Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ralph Reed’s army plans $62 million spending spree to boost evangelical turnout

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Mar 12, 2024.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Can you cite an instance of trying to transform the U.S. into a theocracy ?

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Unlike yours, mine is just tongue-in-cheek. I never get tired of demolishing your nutter beliefs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007

Agree completely. That's happens here way too often from both sides. Make up something really lousy and claim that's what the other side believes. Just blanket and artificial negativity that doesn't accomplish anything.

I will add though, that if you want to criticize Reed, you don't have to make up anything. Look at what his group said about Obama from the Mother Jones link above.

I don't claim to be an expert in Christianity, far from it. But if Jesus had gotten involved in politics, I have a hard time believing he'd do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Barry Goldwater was right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For start there are the state laws against abortion enacted after the Dobbs decision. Although you may disagree the determination of when an embryo/fetus should be considered a human being is a religious determination. The determination by the Alabama Supreme Court that frozen embryos are human beings is a prime example of religious conservatives trying to impose their belief on the population as a whole.

The censorship of books is another example. While there are some books that are clearly unsuitable for children under a certain age if I had young children I would be willing to defer to teachers and librarians to determine what is appropriate. I have no problem with parents deciding what is or is not appropriate for their children, I just do not want them to determine what is appropriate for my children (speaking hypothetically) and there religious righties who want to censor what is available in public libraries not just school libraries.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    With no apology for the alliteration there are a number of politicians, preachers, public officials, and other prominent people promoting Christian Nationalism. It's surprising you would ask for an instance of "trying to transform the U.S. into a theocracy."

Boebert, MTG, and speaker Johnson to name three, are promoting the idea. With Rep. Ken Buck resigning from the 4th district effective March 22, Gov Polis has called for a special election on June 25 to fill the vacancy. Boebert is in a pickle. The winner of the special election will likely retain the seat in the general election in November, but she cannot run in the special election unless she resigns her current seat in the 3rd. Whatever decision the infamous hypocrite makes she will - hopefully - lose her 'pulpit' by the end of the year.

But you asked for an instance. I'll give you a few. Boebert has promoted the idea of a Christian government in a number of churches here in Colorado in the last 2 years. Two here in Grand Junction and several others in small churches in small Western Slope churches in the 3rd district. In June of 2022 she spoke to attendees at the Cornerstone Christian Center in Basalt, Colorado.
    Lauren Boebert says the church should direct government, days after SCOTUS overturns abortion rights
    Here is the video of the event, placed on Youtube by the church. After a florid introduction by the pastor she begins speaking at the 47 second mark and speaks for just over 50 minutes.

MTG recently identified herself as a Christian Nationalist
    Christian nationalism: Marjorie Taylor Greene doubles down on label amid controversy

"Greene reiterated her position in a response on Twitter, saying she was being 'attacked by the Godless left' for calling herself a Christian nationalist, declaring that she’s proud of that title.
    So what is Christian Nationalism?
    "Christian nationalism is a political ideology that believes that America is an inherently Christian nation, according to an explainer published by Rutgers. Christian nationalists want there to be a close relationship between Christianity and the state, and believe there should be political efforts to 'secure a privileged position for Christianity in the public square.'

"In the book 'Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States,' the authors lay out the ideas that they believe are fundamental to the platform of Christian nationalists, which include declaring the United States a Christian nation, the government explicitly advocating Christian values, not enforcing separation of church and state and the belief that the 'success of the United States is a part of God’s plan.'”

Mike Johnson Conducted Seminars Promoting the US as a “Christian Nation” – Mother Jones

"Mike and Kelly Johnson, each a fundamentalist Christian and culture war battler who advocates adhering to what they call a 'biblical worldview,' launched this initiative in 2019. After one such presentation on February 24, 2019, at the First Baptist Church in Bossier City, Louisiana, where they are members—an event that also featured Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council—a local television news show reported that the seminar’s goal was to 'keep God in Government.' Johnson posted the article on his congressional website.

"Mike Johnson ran through a quick version of US history, in which he insisted, 'We began as a Christian nation.' He pointed out that Christopher Columbus said that he journeyed to the Americas 'to bring the gospel to unknown coastlands and people.” Johnson added, “We would call him an evangelical today.' Fired up, he offered a litany of statements from the nation’s founders, government officials, and Supreme Court officials who cited God or religion as essential to the United States. 'Is this a Christian nation?' he asked. 'Yes, we live in a post-Christian culture. I think that’s beyond dispute. You can’t even argue with a straight face that this did not begin as a Christian nation.'

"Mike Johnson sees himself as part of small band of righteous officials who take on the hard task of governing strictly according to the tenets of Christian fundamentalism. He and Kelly are true believers. He has long associated with Christian nationalism; crusaded against gay rights and same-sex marriage; decried no-fault divorce; and pushed for a total ban on abortion. Her Christian counseling practice has compared homosexuality to bestiality and incest. They share a dark view of the modern world. In a sermon he preached in 2016, Johnson declared, “We’re living in a completely amoral society.” And during a podcast last year with Jordan Peterson, the Canadian conservative provocateur, he said that “sinister” elites were responsible for orchestrating climate change as an issue to achieve global 'control.'

"In a time of political upheaval, cultural clashes, and war, it’s clear that Mike Johnson believes he has the solution. It’s not government of the people, but government shaped by his fundamentalist worldview. As his wife and partner-in-preaching says, nothing else makes sense. They possess the truth, and now, as he has become second in the line of presidential succession, he has the opportunity to meld power to this truth and serve the goal of making America a Christian nation."

Michael Flynn is recruiting an 'Army of God' in growing Christian nationalist movement

BATAVIA, N.Y. (AP) — "By the time the red, white and blue-colored microphone had been switched off, the crowd of 3,000 had listened to hours of invective and grievance.

“'We’re under warfare,' one speaker told them. Another said she would “take a bullet for my nation,” while a third insisted, 'They hate you because they hate Jesus.' Attendees were told now is the time to 'put on the whole armor of God.' Then retired three-star Army general Michael Flynn, the tour’s biggest draw, invited people to be baptized.

"Since early last year, the ReAwaken America Tour has carried its message of a country under siege to tens of thousands of people in 15 cities and towns. The tour serves as a traveling roadshow and recruiting tool for an ascendant Christian nationalist movement that’s wrapped itself in God, patriotism and politics and has grown in power and influence inside the Republican Party.

"In the version of America laid out at the ReAwaken tour, Christianity should be at the center of American life and institutions. Instead, it’s under attack, and attendees need to fight to restore the nation’s Christian roots. It’s a message repeated over and over at ReAwaken — one that upends the constitutional ideal of a pluralist democracy. But it’s a message that is taking hold."

A specific instance? January 6 2021

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Monsters like her are a part of the reason the founders put the establishment clause in the constitution. No official state religion, no middle ages style theocracy, and no telling people how to worship either. Though, according to her ilk, it is somehow oppressing their freedom of religion to dare to object to them imposing their beliefs on everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Agree River.

Didn’t know who Reed was but you hit the nail on the head. Both sides have factions that say if “xyz” is elected they will destroy America.
    Stupid, the way America is destroyed is the continuation of the bifurcation that’s been going on for years now FROM BOTH SIDES.

Jesus avoided the politics of the day, the only thing I can recall is him saying “give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s”
    One might argue he was very critical of the leaders of religion and that was political in nature but that was more from a religious stance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    She may be wrong about the constitution and a bit misguided but I don’t know if that makes her a Monster. That seems a bit over the top.

10. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    The history of such types being in power is ugly. Might want to read up on that.

11. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    It’s easy if you are smart and observant like me. Watch what they say and do. When people tell you who they are - believe them.

12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And you get all this from posts on a message board.

Perhaps a career doing pre-employment screens for fortune 500 companies you could make a mint with your self professed magic power..

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    She’s an asshat and will never see the power that has been give to the likes of who you are referring too.

She gets too much air time as it is, the MSM helps fuel the crazy.

14. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Yet you actually never say anything, especially to me, when you respond. Nothing lands nor actually moves the needle overall. It's meaningless, banal.

That's the problem. Your supposed tongue in cheek responses here are moot. More troubling is you just reply to yourself multiple times trying to make a point to people who obviously aren't listening.

Soon you'll be speaking in third person and they'll be getting the straightjacket ready.

Screenshot_20240221-104501-02.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    Dude get your head out of a message board. You should get out more. Read the news listen to what people say and do. Basic stuff.

As for your other suggestion HR is useless. I work for one of the largest companies in the world. Screening for asshats doesn’t seem to be a thing here. They’re all over the place.

Too be fair it’s hard to know someone is an asshat during an interview. They are doing everything they can to hide it. Here they proclaim it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. sierragator

Apr 8, 2007
    Theocracy is all fine and dandy as long as it YOUR religion in charge. Put someone else's in charge and these same people would bust an aneurism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I disagree. I'm Jewish and I certainly wouldn't want to live in country or a community in which Ultra Orthodox Jews are in charge. I also know some Muslims and most American Muslims find the Saudi Arabian version of Sharia law completely repugnant. Similarly most Catholics certainly wouldn't want contraceptives banned although that's what would happen if the Roman Catholic Church was setting government policy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    The problem is your sweep statement about all of them:

That's pretty ridiculous statement about millions and millions of people. It's basically the same as the "liberals hate white people" crap that we get here. Sure there are creepy people (IMHO) who call themselves evangelicals. And there are plenty who obviously aren't. You know, I shouldn't even have to say that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    We will have to agree to disagree. Thankfully their ranks are dwindling precipitously. In the next 30 or so years there may well be none.