Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Quinyon Mitchell

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Jul 19, 2019.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Every year I’m amazed how many NFL draftees come from the minor schools. The young man possesses length and speed you can’t coach. If the staff feels like he’s worthy and they want to develop his talent, make him an offer he can’t refuse. His speed could make him an early special teams warrior as a gunner on punts or possibly a home run threat for punt returns. I’ll never understand the logic of banking a scholarship for next season if a player can give you what you need for this season. IMO, he’ll be a year closer to getting on the field by being in the development process - worst case.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Historically accurate, but pretty sure we were technically over 85 at signing day this year....I'm sure the attrition was known, but much of it occurred after. Hopefully this policy continues as it is common sense that guys will be leaving

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    DB,

You said the magic words brother. Love the Special teams comment. Predicting if a few things work out he’ll be a scholarship player.

I hate banking ships. Great teams need depth not 7 less players than they should have. Great to hear yours and a few others thoughts about adding kids like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Nowhere near being over now. Mullen says 78. 81 with last three all getting in. We know might be tough for Wilson so probably 80.

The great ones like Sweeney, Saban, Meyer did everything in their power to make sure they had a full squad.

While 78 doesn’t sound bad you have to remember 78 will be more like 72-73 after 2 weeks of practices with injuries and possible Suspensions (every year first game we have a few-hoping I’m wrong). After the first game there is likely to be some injuries.if you tell me we may not have injuries I’d say that’ll never happen.

I could talk about depth, development, etc. this is one I’ll never change mind on.
    We need a full squad in order to have a great year and Mullen to his credit is all over it. Yes, every player is that important. Large successful teams/organizations always emphasize and utilize all team members and even make a point of saying the total number whether it be 26 or 106. Verbalizing that is a characteristic of those teams.

5. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    If we were short on play makers I would understand ...but we’re not. If it opens things up to grab a better player for 2020 I don’t see the logic on settling.

6. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    I don't think signing this kid will have any bearing on how many we can take in 2020, we lose a bunch of players after this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Depends on what coaches know about the current roster that we don't.

8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It burns an initial counter, so essentially assures one less in the next class

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    It's my understanding that Black and Hammond never got counted since they never enrolled, and this kid would sign as part of the 2019 class?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    A poster on TOS claims this kid was clocked at 4.3 at a camp by college coaches.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe that is the case as well, so in theory 27 counters available now. Use one in this case you go to 26, but in all likelihood you could sign more than that next year and still be under 85. Somewhat dependent on attrition/early entry, but my guess is that there is room. All that said, if coaches like this kid then take him. Plus athlete that could help in multiple spots

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    So we’ve offered him?
    When?
    Did he commit?

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    We are fine with counters. Adds depth and allows us to develop a kid that’ll be here in all likelihood for 4/5 years. Those 4 games if redshirting are huge. Even the practice time is huge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Go APk!!!Seeing the light. Trust in Dan.

Love it.

15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol, I'm generally a "trust the staff" guy. When I have personal knowledge of a kid that may override, but this staff has a pretty good track record with talent. I do agree with you that getting a quality guy now is better than saving a spot a year from now for an unknown.

16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Will argue a little here. Of course every coach wants to be as close to 85 as possible....that's simple logic. But it's awfully hard to achieve for anyone. I read somewhere that Clemson was actually well under 80 last season. And the transfer portal explosion is only going to serve to make it even more difficult to stay near 85.
    All that said, those last few spots tend to get a little overblown. You pretty much have to recognize that the drop from 85 to 80 is largely the result of transfers that were not contributors, so short term impact is likely minimal to nonexistent. And long term impact can be negated thru smart roster management.....maybe taking a juco or a inbound transfer for example.
    Would people feel better about our scholarship number if we had given one to Jack Brady? He is one of the top 5 punters in the country and the likely successor to Townsend. we get him as a walk-on but he is a scholly worthy talent. So is Jaylin Jackson.....I think he's as good as Fenley Graham. Is it mentally more comforting to say we are at 82 or 83 if Jackson and Brady counted against our number? Point being, let's relax over the numbers. The roster is sufficient barring an injury epidemic, and if that happened we would be in trouble anyway.

17. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    He is a sub 4.4 runner. He is as fast or a tick faster than Elam, this year’s corner back supreme ( freshman).

• Like Like x 1
  18. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    He found out it was in Ohio.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree on punter. Won’t agree if it’s a corner, OT, or DT. I’m just making the case that need to start the season with close to the number. Think back just a few years ago when we were at 60-65 scholarship players. Having those extra bodies in practice, to develop, etc are really important. The development piece (we’ve talked about this before) is different and better now as when you add in potential to play in 4 games with quality practice time it really helps with the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    We have a ship available and ships are one year commitments. Let the kid know that we want him and can give him a ship this year but don't know about next year.