Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Question About Stokes

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Sep 10, 2018.

1. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Looking at him playing against his elder brother at football shows he's physically ready.

I saw a photo of him looking like a slightly less modeled Arnold Schwarzenegger, maybe 10% body fat.

Does anyone know what his current weight is?

Realizing, of course that muscle is 15% heavier than fat, which is why you can turn 30 lbs of fat into muscle yet gain 5 lbs.

2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This video from August 6th looks promising.
    I'd say at least 250 pounds down from 269.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And August 9th too...

4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Dude must be a genetic freak. Obviously his older brother is a beast on another level but just having the weight off is more than I expected.

5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Fat cannot be turned into muscle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    In his appearance he looks like a cross between Da Meat Hook and UD. Hopefully his play on the court will be anywhere close to either of them over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am stoked about Stokes. He should be a good one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    been told he will be right around 240 for the season...would be a good weight for him. Lost a lot of that fat and putting on muscle in its place

• Like Like x 4
  9. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    That's good to hear. Coming off an ACL injury and all.

10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    That is an impressive conditioning commitment. I think we're gonna be really happy with him even as a freshman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BigByte1

BigByte1 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    But can Coach White run an offense through the 4 or 5.....maybe....but we haven’t seen it yet.

12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Yea, because that makes a lot more sense to run an offense through the talented post play of Hayes or Gak rather than Hudson, Robinson, Chiozza, Allen, etc.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. harveyj

harveyj Sophomore

Mar 27, 2018
    You get it.

14. themistocles

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Replaced with Muscle. It gives the appearance of Turning Into, which for all intents and purposes is the same as turned into.

I think he's far more muscular and has far, far less fat than he shows in either of those videos. You can really change your body around fairly rapidly if you work hard at it.

Ohh, by the way, very, very large people like Stokes, even when massively fat, carry large amounts of muscle because it takes a lot of muscle to move all the mass that a ton of fat creates.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Billy learned how to....and Mike White seems like a Billy-clone (who recruits better).

16. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know about this last part. Donovan brought in four McDonalds all Americans in the first few years. And then later had a single class with three all Americans, including the overall #1 player. The guy was one of the best recruiters in the nation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. themistocles

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Excellent point Rade.

Billy D's first class was 2: Florida's Mr Basketball Brent Wright & Major Parker, who, like 3Gor, was a Combo Forward who could hit the 3 at 6'4", 215 lbs.
    His 2nd class had Dupay and Miller (McDAAs), plus UD & injured Ladarius Halton. The 3rd Class had Brett Nelson, & Bonner + Justin Hamilton. So, that's 4 Micky D's in the first 3 years. The 2000 class had 3 Top 25, including Kwame Brown, James White & David Lee.

It was actually the loss of Miller, Harvey & Brown that caused Billy D to move his recruiting down the rankings seeking non-One-N-Dones.

White now appears to have reached the recruiting level of Billy D among non-Top 25, but top 150, although Really, with White, it's the TRANSFERS who have been astounding.

First Leon, who proved outstanding, then Hudson & Barry, then 3Gor. That's a 100% hit rate on Transfers, which is unusually high.

An unlike Billy D, who also had a fair number of misses, and only in 2000 had a 10-deep squad and usually only had 7-8 contributors, if Ballard & Stokes prove functional, the current squad may prove 13 deep with contributors, which is simply INCREDIBLE.

• Like Like x 2
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Somehow I don't think Donovan was telling himself after his team lost in the championship "damnit, my team just has too many great players going pro! I better recruit worse players so they stay longer. Gold, Billy. Gold."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks!

This year should be really interesting. Every coach has misses (or at least relative misses), which is why rarely does any team run 10 deep and I don't know that I've heard of a 13 deep squad.

That said, we have a shot this year to be double digit deep (where 10 min a game gets you counted in the depth stat). We know that these returning players already averaged 10 min a game: Hudson, Allen, Hayes, Stone, Okauru, and Ballard so that brings us up to six more or less automatic qualifiers

Gak and C Johnson (in his limited action) averaged 8-ish min. Both have a high likelihood of going over 10 min / game this year, so we should get to seven or more likely eight deep here.

Nembhard seems like an instant player, so that should get us eight-nine deep.

Stokes also seems good for 10 a game, so that's nine-ten deep.

I am guessing Bassett does not end up with 10+ min/game, so that just leaves us with Locke and K Johnson, and they both have great attributes to possibly bring us up to 12.

However, among C Johnson, Stokes, Nembhard, Locke, and K Johnson, we do have five players that haven't really ever seen the floor in the SEC, so I think it's likely that not all end up ready to contribute this year. However, even if we just get three of the five, that gives us platoon potential.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  20. smikemac

smikemac VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Donnell Harvey was in that Nelson, Bonner, Hamilton class. That makes four.

You