Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Quarterback targets for Gators in Class of 2019

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by theghost, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pho to CLEM now?

2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    FSU became a real player for Howell once Bell became the OC/QB coach in January. Clemson pretty much took themselves out of it when the signed Hunter and Lawerence in back to back years. Sam saw the writing on the wall there.

I think Howell really does a lot of what Bell wants well and was his top choice. Once ge was willing to commit, FSU was ready to close the deal. I don’t think FSU stops recruiting Pho but I don’t think they land him.

I was not aware that he is a 4.0 student, which is always great to see in a QB. Especially after Xaiver Lee.

3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Any chance the Gators can move up Pho's list? He's my favorite QB in this class.

4. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I doubt it. Seems like Jones and Mullen have a tight relationship and that's a done deal. I do think we'll try to add a preferred walk-on or a lower rated 3-star.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Found this blurb on seccountry/Alabama page. I thought Bailey was considered a BIG, BIG, BIG UF lean....

Top 2020 QB target visiting Alabama this weekend
    Harrison Bailey, a 4-star quarterback from Marietta (Ga.) High School, has been a frequent visitor to Tuscaloosa since his recruitment began in eighth-grade. He is expected to be back on campus Saturday.

Bailey is one of Alabama’s top quarterback targets in the 2020 class. From all I’ve heard these past few months, it sounds as if the Tide are the early leaders.

6. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    He was...a big lean to Mac. Now it's a new day and a new boss.

7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    From my understanding it was UF (not the coach). He is a UF fan, and has a family full of UF fans (sort of like Tebow's upbringing). I understand if he's not built for the system though.

8. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Got to get players that want to be Gators that will fit in CDM's system.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Tennessee is trying to flip a Kansas commit at QB (kid from Louisiana)....concern is LSU may jump in as they don't have a top QB target. The kids former HS coach is now an assistant at Kansas (I thought there was a rule about not being able to sign a kid from a HS that has a former coach on the staff - within 2 years or something - to prevent situations like this):

Future Tennessee quarterback? Vols continue talking with Kansas commit Lance LeGendre quite a bit

New Orleans quarterback Lance LeGendre, 6-foot-3, 214-pounds.

“Right now, I’m 100 percent committed,” LeGendre told SEC Country. “I don’t see myself de-committing right now. I still have to go through the proper protocol with all schools, then I’ll make my decision from that point.”

10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Captain Obvious?? :D

11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    My understanding of the rule is if it's an actual on field coach it's ok to recruit former players but not the off field assistants

12. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I'm not sure, I'll try to find it. But I thought it was 'any' position (like if they hired a HS coach as an 'analyst' or 'quality control' position) it eliminates that school for 2 years (or more).

I understand him having interest in a school where he knows one of the assistants (i.e. his former coach). But Kansas? If it was basketball, sure. The "top" QBs are committing fast (there's only a few un-committed QBs that are considered 'elite'). So these uncommitted QBs are going to start getting a lot of attention. The Parrish kid from Alabama will probably become real popular soon. The early signing period has really changed the landscape of recruiting.

13. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Hmmm, according to 247, Jones is #439 Nationally and the 10th DT QB. Although I feel he is underrated, I certainly haven't looked at very many other those rated higher or lower videos. All other DT QBs on 247's Gator list are shown as Cool. Although personally, I think that Baldwin (#495, 12th, 6'4", 214 lbs, is the best I've seen, period). Now, if Baldwin, I'd say - YES to a lower rated 3*.

14. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Well, if you've followed this thread....the QBs haven't been 're-racked' yet by the recruiting services. The highest rated QB right now is around 90th. So expect all of them to move up and some unknowns to emerge (after the camps). This should happen in June or July. I've predicted (earlier in this thread) that Jones ends up a top 300 overall player and moves higher than 10th ranked DT. He's taller and 20+lbs heavier than the last time he was viewed at a camp. Plus, after getting attention from UF, Alabama, Ohio State, UVA, and other P5 schools he'll get a bump just from that.

Baldwin is interesting, but I've heard he's P12 bound (one of the Arizona's most likely). He's a west coast kid and the services see him heading back out there after HS.

When I say lower, look at the kid from Alabama, Peter Parrish (ranked 612 overall, but only 5 spots behind Jones on the DT list at #15):

Peter Parrish, Central, Dual-Threat Quarterback

Or a preferred walk-on. In this day and age, not many schools are getting two QBs in the same class.

Here's the 247 composite list of DT QBs:

2019 Top Dual-Threat Quarterback Recruits

Once you get to #16, a lot of those kids are short (under 6')....and are more likely 'athletes' and will change position.

This kid would be an intersting take as a preferred walk-on - #33 DT QB, 1400+ overall (he's being offered by Central Michigan, Toledo, Kent State):

Mariano
    Valenti

Fort Lauderdale, FL(St. Thomas Aquinas)

15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I have only looked at Pho's clips. He is clearly better than Jones and much further along as a QB. I'm not sold on Emory Jones yet and we already appear to be shopping from the bargain bin for QBs. I know summer camps will likely improve Jones' ratings/rankings but his clips don't indicate he's the kind of player you build a program around. I see no reason we shouldn't continue to go after other QBs.

16. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Players that don't want to be Gators never end up Gators. I don't yet know what kind of QB fits into Mullen's system except dual threat QBs. My only problem with them is that they are often better at making plays with their legs than their arms. I'd rather not depend entirely on the system to provide wide open receivers. I like QBs who can check off receivers and make all the throws. I'd like it if we were looking at pro=style QBs who have proven themselves as accurate passers but are athletic enough to get yardage on designed running plays. I see we're still recruiting Harrison Bailey for the 202o class. I'd feel better about the future if he committed right away.

17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bama may be the leader but they're taking 2 QBs this year. Bear Bryants grandson and tua's brother. Who knows how this will play out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That's what I meant, you can't hire them as an analyst, but you can as an on field coach

How new NCAA rules hurt high school coaches and players

In football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.

This definition includes, but is not limited to, parents, legal guardians, handlers, personal trainers and coaches. An individual who meets this definition retains such status during the enrollment of the prospective student-athlete at the institution.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    On Harrison Bailey, I read visited Michigan and apparently Harbaugh really made an impression on him. It’s still early in Bailey’s process, but it looks like he is looking at more prostyle offenses. We’ll see if Michigan is still a player after he visits them during the winter.

20. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    Yep...he just committed to Clemson.

• Informative Informative x 1