Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Quarterback targets for Gators in Class of 2019

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by theghost, Feb 27, 2018.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    He's the younger brother of the kid at Washington State that killed himself a few months ago. Probably wanted to get out of the P12.

2. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015

His stock within the last 2 months has went up. He will probably get a boost to a 4-star rating in the next cycle from other services. He was the first QB offered to attend the Elite 11 and was MVP of the SoCal camp stop. He was offered by a few Pac 12 schools (Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State) but also SEC offers with Georgia, Texas A&M, Ole Miss and South Carolina. From what I understand from some Georgia insiders is that he was the top QB target for the 2019 class for UGA.

His older brother is looking at med schools, and the whole family visited South Carolina this past weekend and really enjoyed the visit. Ryan committed soon after, and his whole family will be moving with him to Columbia.

Like someone else mentioned, his brother Ty sadly took his own life a few months ago. I believe his family really wants to start life over.

IMO This is a big pickup for South Carolina.. I believe hiring Dan Werner was a great addition to the South Carolina staff. For them to be able to grab a player out of California speaks volumes for the job this coaching staff has done.. I know Florida has sore memories of Muschamp, and believe me that is understandable watching the games he coached.

3. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    It's definitely a big pick up (and I was the one, just above your post) who mentioned who his brother is/was - sad story.

Yes, he definitely will get a 4th star. There are literally NO 5-star QBs right now and only a few 4-star QBs. Once the summer camps start happening, and the Elite 11's happen, the QB rankings will shuffle big-time. I'm not sure where the article gets "4-star QB" from.

I'm not as bitter w/ Muschamp as some. I think this was on Foley for giving an inexperienced first-time head coach the job at UF. UF isn't where you get OJT. Now, he's learned (for the most part) from his UF mistakes (although I still think he's meddling w/ the offense at SC). He's always been a good recruiter, and getting top 20 classes at SC is a big accomplishment (I doubt he ever breaks into the top 10). His problem at UF was recruiting offense. He landed a few good players here and there, but overall he couldn't piece together enough talent on that side of the ball.

This kid looks legit. It's a good pick up. The QB dominoes are starting to fall, so I'm curious to see who UF gets (my guess is Jalon Jones).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015

I should have looked better when I referred to the other poster. lol I apologize!

I think Will is concentrating more on offense at SC then at UF. You can tell he’s a changed a bit since his days at UF. I believe Muschamp is a better coach at not so prominent jobs, then big time traditionally rich programs. I think he makes a huge mistake if he left SC for a bigger program.

SC doesn’t need a top 10 recruiting class to compete. I think top 15 is doable, but they are gonna have to really sell the program.. SC will define its recruiting classes by what they do on the field.. IMO I think it’s a must they beat UGA the 2nd game of the season.

5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    If you guys beat UGA I'll probably smile!! :D

I'm not sure about Muschamp and the O. Didn't he promote from within for the OC job, McClendon? If he wanted change he would have gone outside the program and brought in someone who knows how to run an offense. From what I've read, they are working on increasing the tempo (running more plays). That's definitely a new twist to the 3-yards and a cloud of dust he ran at UF. But what matters is when the game is on the line or when they get a lead (will they get conservative, will they sit on the ball/lead, will he go back to his NFL thinking and play it safe?).

I expect he'll have top 25 classes while he's at SC. If he can find a dynamic QB (like Watson at Clemson) you never know what can happen. But it seems in this day and age of CFB, if you can have top 20-25 classes and get a dynamic QB you can compete w/ almost anyone.

6. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015

My personal belief is that McClendon was promoted because he was getting ready to take another coaching position at Tenn, if he had not been promoted to OC. I think Muschamp believed he was too valuable when it came to recruiting to just let him leave to a division rival. If Muschamp went outside the program it was likely the hire would have been the NC State OC.

Dan Werner who’s been a long time OC and is the QB coach now at SC is helping McClendon with the playbook , and is tutoring him. McClendon will have full control of the offense, but with help from Werner and Bobby Bentley. Muschamp thought it would help Bryan a lot if he brought in a coach that has a lot of experience with running offenses.

7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    In theory it sounds great....but if Muschamp meddles, it will be the same result. It's similar to what's going on over at LSU. Matt Canada was a GREAT hire....but Orgeron wanted to be conservative. It's one of the problems w/ having a defensive minded head coach. Honestly, the OC at UGA isn't all that impressive....but the roster is loaded (see McElwain and Nussmeir's stints as Alabama OC's). If Muschamp can load the offensive side the way he does the defensive side he can afford to be more conservative....but even Saban went w/ a higher risk offense after Nussmeir left (w/ Kiffin). We'll see what happens. The one thing SC/Muschamp has going for them this year is a veteran QB. That will bail them out here and there....and keep them in games. Once that QB's gone or gets injured?

8. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    But wait, they recruited Matty Ice for their pro style offense?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Nice one Trust.

11. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Looks like this topic has been wrapped up with UF taking the commitment of Jalen Jones. Unless UF has a QB transfer over the summer, which I think is unlikely, Mullen is probably only looking to take one QB and J. Jones is it.

Congrats on the commitment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I think he's the only QB we'll sign, but if another QB wanted in I'm sure Mullen would take him. We need DT QBs on the roster, something to work with/develop. Only EJ is a DT. So I'd imagine if another QB wanted in, Mullen would take him. I'd like to see him take a flyer on a lower ranked kid, just to have a body. If the kid doesn't pan out, they can help him transfer out and land at a school where he'll play. But, that's wishful thinking on my part. I think Jones is the only QB we take. It's a great pick up.

13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Matt is as athletic as most DT QBs. He won't have a problem competing for PT in a spread offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    Matt Canada is a good OC, but if you look at his resume, why has he been moving around so much? He’s had about 3 jobs in 5 years.

The OC at Georgia is average, but Kirby inherited a hell of a roster. The system was already in place for Kirby to be successful because the last coach ran the similar system that Kirby wanted to run. The problem with Will at UF was that he tried to completely overall an offense.. It’s hard to run a power style of offense with Urban Meyer players, because Urban recruited players with speed and more speed. It was a failure from the start and I think Will knows that now. His biggest mistake at SC was bringing back Roper, but glad he realized that mistake. It was kinda like Spurrier rehiring Jon Hoke at SC..

I have no issue in being conservative if you have an offensive line that can dominate. I think Spurrier was pretty conservative at times during his tenure at SC and depended on his defense and running game to win ball games. I think that is the formula for success at a place like South Carolina.

Congratulations on landing your QB!. He looks like a Mullen type of QB

• Like Like x 1
  15. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Yes Strange, from what I've seen of him in Clips, I thought he could easily play DT, which is why Mullen's move to delete him surprised me so much.

And Ghost, although it's yet to be proven, I think you will be surprised at just how good both Trask and Franks are at playing DT. Both are smart, agile and physical and have reasonable, albeit not great Quickness.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Wow, FSU just landed Sam Howell. This is really, really surprising.

17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    After his visit to fsu a couple/few weeks ago he had alot of positive things to say about slick Willie and the noles. I'm surprised they accepted his commitment with Pho still interested.

18. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Not really. FSU’s OC/QB Coach has been on Howell for two years and was the first to offer him. Recruiting is about relationships and Bell had a very good one with Howell. While Howell is listed as a Pro Style, he is more than fast enough to be a DT QB.

I don’t think Francois is on the team next year, so FSU is probably going to be looking to sign another QB this cycle.

19. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    It's interesting how the QB dominoes are starting to fall; USCe, Miss State, UF, FSU, and Ole Miss have all landed a QB in the last 7-10 days.

*Edit: add Alabama to the list (they landed the QB who's the great-grandson of Bear Bryant).

Auburn also has Nix committed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    If you've been following Howell at all, he's been all Clemson since his name first popped up. So it is a HUGE surprise. And as Notorious said, the Pho kid was rumored to be heading to FSU. So, this is a big surprise. Will be curious to see where Pho heads now, or where his CB's start predicting until he commits.