Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Prosecutors ask for 7-9 years for Roger Stone

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 11, 2020.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    :D Wutt, is that a problem or something? ;)

Laws are for losers, and this overburdensome regulation and stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As long as killing witnesses ( and threatening to kill witnesses) is to benefit Trump it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    What Fox viewers hear:

Tucker Carlson: Roger Stone’s arrest means anyone can be arrested just for supporting Donald Trump

Fox host Jeanine Pirro demands a new trial for Roger Stone

Fox’s Geraldo Rivera claims Roger Stone was the victim of a “perjury trap”

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Anne Applebaum previews our future, shown in increasingly authoritarian Poland

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What Fox is doing to its viewers is unconscionably sick. Straight up lies in support of an authoritarian despot.

No pretension of being anything other than an agent of disinformation for Trump and Putin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder how many viewers believe Carlson, for example. That Stones arrest means that anyone can be thrown in jail simply for supporting Trump.
    It is, quite simply, an attempt to destroy the country, tho I suspect the motive is simply financial.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    'All traitors must die': Feds charge man for threatening whistleblower attorney

From Trump's mouth to his follower's ears.....

I'm surprised Trump hasn't already awarded the guy the Medal of Freedom.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They all do. Just read what is posted here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Of course, we will then hear about how Trump is not responsible for his followers actions. Trump was just holding up the picture at a rally. But, of course, it is sad that loyalty to country is conflated with loyalty to Trump. But, then, that is the way dictatorships work.

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I guess it was all the influence exerted over the DOJ and the Judiciary by Trump, because we know when the prosecutors asked for a sentence of 7-9 years they had to be correct! Trump must have gotten to the judge!! (sarcasm)

Did it ever occur to any of you on this thread who were howling about interference from Trump and Barr when the DOJ recommended a more lenient sentence for Stone that the real issue was the prosecutors had recommended an unduly harsh sentence? Seems like the judge thought so as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ah...so I see you now believe that Judge Jackson is fair. Anyway, it was a downward departure. Stone scored 70-87 months BoP. I’m sure this isn’t Judge Jackson’s first downward departure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017

I guess you do not understand the DOJ guidelines for sentencing recommendations and how those guidelines are implemented every day in prosecutions all over the country.

The judge's sentence does not change that the second sentencing memo deviated what line prosecutors are instructed to do, and what they do, for everyone else. And, their actions are not changed by main DOJ.

Roger Stone received special treatment from DOJ. Treatment you and I would never have gotten.

And, the prosecutor at sentencing did not answer the judge as to how the second memo was filed.

Sentencing is always up to the Judge. Trump exerts no influence over the judiciary. At least federally, we have an independent judiciary.

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    in some districts, he would have gotten 87 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    DOJ sentencing guidelines are based on a rubric, and the Judge can accept them if she wants. Or she can increase or decrease the sentencing. I wonder in this case, did the Judge downward depart because of Trump's tweets? There's a good chance that Trump is going to pardon Stone, but Trump will likely let the appeals process continue for now to see if Stone can get the conviction completely overturned. If/when that does not happen, if Stone was still facing years behind bars, Trump wouldn't think twice about pardoning. But if the sentence is only a few months after all appeals, would Trump reconsider?

We'll never know. Either way, a POTUS sticking his nose in the middle of the DOJ is wrong, regardless of what side of the aisle you sit on.

18. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Most judges would have done 70-75 months, said it was at the low end of the guidelines and been done with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    No Az. A federal judge cannot upward depart from the guidelines. That is prohibited by Apprendi.

And I would guess that Judge Jackson downward departed because Judge Jackson felt a downward departure was appropriate. She sits on the DC District. They’re used to close scrutiny.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks for the correction. Didn't know that Feds couldn't upward depart.